Kodiak Deer limit change

Status
Not open for further replies.

Antares

WKR
I lived in Alaska a total of approximately 39 years. My guess is I flew in to Kodiak to hunt deer at least 10 times, and twice to Montague.
If there is a state with a more f'ed up F&G department I have yet to discover it.
The last person F&G cares about is the average resident or non resident hunter.

Care to elaborate? Sounds like you have a lot of experience. I'd be interested to hear if you have something substantive to add to the conversation.

As a reminder, this thread is about an Alaska Board of Game (BOG) action. The BOG and ADF&G are entirely separate entities, by design.

Snowwolfe

Lil-Rokslider
Care to elaborate? Sounds like you have a lot of experience. I'd be interested to hear if you have something substantive to add to the conversation.

As a reminder, this thread is about an Alaska Board of Game (BOG) action. The BOG and ADF&G are entirely separate entities, by design.
Not really, because then it will just turn into an argument.

VernAK

WKR
Apparently the BOG is going to have a "special meeting" on May 25 to reconsider both the unit 19 sheep hunting closure for nonresident hunters, and the reduced deer bag limit for nonresident hunters on Kodiak Island. I wonder why this doesn't surprise me? Next will be the BOG just shit canning both of their original plans that they had already put into place back in March. Hopefully that won't be the case, but I guess we'll see.
If I'm reading and understanding this "special meeting" issue correctly, the "special meeting" cannot change the proposals as adopted at the March BOG meeting. Only the implementation dates can be changed and that has to be done before July 1st. The meeting is requires 30 day public notification, so time is tight.

Apparently the Kodiak deer proposal created quite a lot of push back.

cubguy

FNG
If I'm reading and understanding this "special meeting" issue correctly, the "special meeting" cannot change the proposals as adopted at the March BOG meeting. Only the implementation dates can be changed and that has to be done before July 1st. The meeting is requires 30 day public notification, so time is tight.

Apparently the Kodiak deer proposal created quite a lot of push back.
This is what I heard too. Likely they will push implementation of both proposals until next year.

VernAK

WKR
That's probably the prudent thing to do until the dust settles. If BOG decides to change the adopted proposal, they may have to wait until the next proposal cycle for that area.......2-3 years. Just thinking!

Antares

WKR
I agree that pushing implementation back to July 1, 2024 is reasonable given that a lot of hunters and transporters already have 2023 hunts booked. That said, what concerns me is that BOG absolutely has the power to create an out-of-cycle-, board-generated proposal and do whatever they want, but they have to do it at a meeting... and they just called a meeting... I hope they keep the conversation focused on a July 1, 2023 vs July 1, 2024 implementation date, but I expect there will be an effort from the public and/or board members to scrap the whole thing.

HuntHarder

WKR
Classified Approved
Some guys are awfully salty in this thread. Obviously Non-residents are gonna oppose and residents are gonna be for the new change. Residents should take priority in their state imo. The cost of a Blacktail hunt is no longer a value hunt for Non-residents. The option to kill a decent buck with one tag and hold out for a giant with another tag is lost.

Hunting in AK for Non-residents is already out of reach for many hunters. The costs keep rising and I expect the trend to continue unless something major happens to our economy. Simple supply and demand at play and everyone knows that money talks and BS walks. I have been on 2 different AK hunts (Caribou and Moose) and did both of them drop camps in order to save $$. I think this change will affect my plans to go back for a blacktail hunt, which is exactly the desired outcome of the BOG. Harder to convince buddies to come along for 5-7k$ for deer. No sweat tho, there are plenty of other critters I want to pursue elsewhere.

Just read through the 106 pages of comments on the proposal after listening to the meeting. Had to go shower after. Hundreds of comments from NR hunters, and only one had a comment that was worth reading and considering. It was a single sentence that said:

"There is no biological evidence for this deer reduction."

Based on the comments, it still sounds like every single NR is cancelling their trip the next few years. I'm booked for our regular time to camp like an ape, but I'll take a half price boat or lodge hunt. Two of the transporters still have my number at the top of their list and I've been waiting two months for a call to pick up a cancellation. crickets. Another operation had every one of his clients write in and say they were cancelling their trip if the reduced limit goes through. A hunting partner left him a message not too long ago saying we will take whatever comes available. I don't suppose he will get a call back either. A couple of fairly well-known names wrote in claiming they are cancelling their trip after today. Their bluff has been called and their credibility is on the line.

Bambistew

WKR
Just read through the 106 pages of comments on the proposal after listening to the meeting. Had to go shower after. Hundreds of comments from NR hunters, and only one had a comment that was worth reading and considering. It was a single sentence that said:

Based on the comments, it still sounds like every single NR is cancelling their trip the next few years. I'm booked for our regular time to camp like an ape, but I'll take a half price boat or lodge hunt. Two of the transporters still have my number at the top of their list and I've been waiting two months for a call to pick up a cancellation. crickets. Another operation had every one of his clients write in and say they were cancelling their trip if the reduced limit goes through. A hunting partner left him a message not too long ago saying we will take whatever comes available. I don't suppose he will get a call back either. A couple of fairly well-known names wrote in claiming they are cancelling their trip after today. Their bluff has been called and their credibility is on the line.
I'll take a cancelation hunt as well. Might not have much money after going to 19C to hunt sheep though. haha

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"

I should call around and get on some cancellation lists too.

I found it pretty gross that larsen bay lodge and the hunters who hunt through them donate hundreds of pounds of meat. Only reason i call out larsen bay lodge specifically is because it was in one of the comments. i am not sure why people donate meat maybe its out of the goodness of their heart....or it could be that they dont want to pay the extra baggage for meat. If you shoot something you should be responsible for taking it all home. I dont see it any different then all the bone heads that dip net too many salmon and they try to give all their leftover reds from last year to people with sled dogs.
and thats just like my opinion man

anyways SE will be the next kodiak i am sure, once all the instaheros start going there and show all the ways to get into animals and explain all the logistics to the people who worship them.

Last edited:
bingo. will be nice to actually have some wiggle room in kodiak. of the week we were out hunting last year the pilots were able to fly 3 days. with all those people shacked up and stuck in kodiak we almost were not able to find a place to stay when we got out, i think we got the last hotel room available in kodiak. The air transports will still be just as busy maybe the boat hunts will have a few less people. Contrary to popular belief, residents like to get off the road system as well and dont always like to plan 3 years in advance due to population swings after bad winters.

sure a non res can only shoot 1 buck, but they can also shoot plenty of ducks and catch fish as well. Seems like a pretty sweet cast and blast to me. I think the thread got off track after the dude said he just wants to shoot a bunch to get more kills under his belt, which rightfully so pist off a bunch of people. No ones businesses are going to collapse and they will be just fine and happy taking out residents.
I’m sure the next regulation to pass is limiting how many days non residents can fish and duck hunt on Kodiak while hunting deer. Why limit or make changes to just NR hunters? Residents can take a large # of animals(and fish) each year but NR are really restricted. And required to go guided for a lot of species that is just not affordable for most.

I have a trip booked on transport for 2025 and still going as it is a great time but very disappointing when you see residents stacking up the deer and we’re limited to one buck now.

Last edited:
i wouldnt call 3 species "alot". Heaven for bid a states fish and game agency is trying to get ahead of a possible problem before it starts.

and yes residents should be able to take more animals then non residents, i am sure you feel the same in your state.

blame it on all the out of state hunt planners and you tubers, they are the ones who are prostituting out these hunts in alaska. If you havent yet, you should listen to the recent hunt quietly podcast that had larry bartlett on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.