Kodiak Deer limit change

Status
Not open for further replies.

AKplumber

FNG
this post is the reason I go to the southeast, not because I have better odds. I can afford it and will see a lot less people. You don't deer hunt in alaska to fill the freezer, you do it to have some of the best venison on the planet. It's a delicacy, not a staple. unless you live in those units , and I don't feel bad for those people they got shrimp and salmon out the ass. but tourists like this guy need to stay home
I'm sorry for those you you that are cancel culture leftists who can't except people do things for different reasons.

I take and utilize every scrap of meat.

But not everyone has a big reneilla over the top ohh heart touching experience.

So to those you you who think you are almighty better then me.
Go head I could give to shits.

Gobbler36

WKR
Idaho already completely changed the unit structure to spread out non residents.
Yeah we need more though an actual reduction in the overall NR tags would be nice to offset everyone moving here but we don’t have to hijack the thread

You guys are hilarious. How many mule deer bucks can you take when you go in a trip to any state out west as a non resident? How many regular Blacktail or Columbia Blacktail bucks? How about NR Coues deer?

Getting all this meat back from Kodiak is not easy or inexpensive. Whitetails are a much better fit for stocking the freezer. Or elk, which are usually limited to one bull for NRs everywhere I’ve ever been.

Kodiak is a gem and I’m glad I got at least 10 of my 20 years going there before all the dirtbags prostituting the outdoors to make money and pay for their stone sheep, brown bear, and mountain caribou hunts got their dirty hands on it.

Justifying a trip to Kodiak by price per pound is a sad way to look at it.

View attachment 547176
Not really, your analogy is wrong. Anywhere else in the lower 48, deer numbers are low. Kodiak has an abundance of deer, hence why you can shoot more than 1. It's also the logistics of arranging flights to match up, hotel stays and possibly weather delays.

The allure of being able to shoot more than 1 deer makes the parts that suck/hassle much easier to accept when you get to kill more than 1 deer. Killing deer is fun. It's a lot more funner when you get to do it more than once.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

Not really, your analogy is wrong. Anywhere else in the lower 48, deer numbers are low.
google says wisconsin has 1.6 million deer for 65,000 square miles roughly 24 deer per square mile
kodiak ~70,000 deer for 3,588 square miles 19 deer per square mile.

been a while since i lived in mn but i thought you can still shoot multiple deer in some areas with bonus doe tags and what not. would have to think its the same for wisconsin.

google says wisconsin has 1.6 million deer for 65,000 square miles roughly 24 deer per square mile
kodiak ~70,000 deer for 3,588 square miles 19 deer per square mile.

been a while since i lived in mn but i thought you can still shoot multiple deer in some areas with bonus doe tags and what not. would have to think its the same for wisconsin.
Your probably correct.. my analogy wasn't worded as well as it should have been.
It was comparing hunting Sitka blacktail to hunting blacktail or mule deer in the lower 48

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

Apparently the BOG is going to have a "special meeting" on May 25 to reconsider both the unit 19 sheep hunting closure for nonresident hunters, and the reduced deer bag limit for nonresident hunters on Kodiak Island. I wonder why this doesn't surprise me? Next will be the BOG just shit canning both of their original plans that they had already put into place back in March. Hopefully that won't be the case, but I guess we'll see.

AKplumber

FNG
@mcseal2 one buck just like KS

Missouri allows two
No one in Alaska gives a single crap about the lower 48. But that said it should be 1 buck . Non-residents coming to Alaska with all this “‘money” who spend less than 500$ on LOCAL businesses as they fly through from r&r just like oil and gas dorks from Oklahoma or Texas claiming to influence anything other than one liquor store or restaurant are totally full of it. Half the guides registered up here live in Idaho or something. they need to go guide in their state. And I’m pro oil and gas man , I’m actually a hardworking construction worker but all this bullshit coming from out of staters pisses me off. Paying a “guide” who doesn’t reside in the state they guide in is the ultimate fraud in my humble opinion . The main reason I don’t support guys like Billy molls . Theres a whole lot of guys who don’t go through the trials and tribulations of living in Alaska trying to influence people with bs they don’t understand. Even if it’s tied into religion or some higher power I don’t agree. Stay in the lower 48 with all that higher knowledge crap. You might understand the woods and how to locate and kill animals but you don’t understand being a born and raised 3rd generation alaskan , and everything that comes with it . You should have to be an alaskan resident to be a registered guide in our state . And not own some bs rental property to claim residency, I’m talking real residency.

Last edited:

chucko

FNG
I am a born and raised Alaskan . I fully agree with the 1 deer limit for NR hunters .Alaska as Larry has said has always held the meat of a big game animal as the primary trophy .A travelling hunter from the lower 48 is coming for the experience and mostly for a unique trophy that cannot be obtained in their home state . I hunt deer like a madman here in southeast Alaska and sometimes take only 1 or 2 bucks as I will hold for a true whopper . You cannot get a big deer if you shoot the little ones so I cannot grasp how the 1 deer limit is even a issue for NR hunters .My only suggestion is hunt hard be selective and humble .I did that when I found my wife and it worked out pretty good!

No one in Alaska gives a single **** about the lower 48. But that said it should be 1 buck . Non-residents coming to Alaska with all this “‘money” who spend less than 500$ on LOCAL businesses as they fly through from r&r just like oil and gas dorks from Oklahoma or Texas claiming to influence anything other than one liquor store or restaurant are totally full of shit. Half the guides registered up here live in Idaho or some shit, they need to go guide in their state. And I’m pro oil and gas man , I’m actually a hardworking construction worker but all this bullshit coming from out of staters pisses me off. Paying a “guide” who doesn’t reside in the state they guide in is the ultimate fraud in my humble opinion . The main reason I don’t support guys like Billy molls . Theres a whole lot of guys who don’t go through the trials and tribulations of living in Alaska trying to influence people with bs they don’t understand. Even if it’s tied into religion or some higher power I don’t agree. Stay in the lower 48 with all that higher knowledge shit. You might understand the woods and how to locate and kill animals but you don’t understand being a born and raised 3rd generation alaskan , and everything that comes with it . You should have to be an alaskan resident to be a registered guide in our state . And not own some bs rental property to claim residency, I’m talking real residency.
If I'm in ever in Juneau I'll buy you a beer, I know you not the same guy behind the keyboard.
A lot of tone for being new here. I have met a lot of great people from my time living in Alaska. Still great friends. Always enjoy taking my kids and wife up fishing and hunting.

You care about the lower 48 because I know Safeway and Fed Meyer get supplies shipped up where you shop.

If Im ever in Juneau I'll look you up and buy you a beer. I know you're not the same guy posting behind the computer.

I will be on Kodiak this fall and planned on only two tags. But I'm fine with one as a non resident.

My apologies this thread was side tracked.

chucko

FNG
A lot of tone for being new here. I have met a lot of great people from my time living in Alaska. Still great friends. Always enjoy taking my kids and wife up fishing and hunting.

You care about the lower 48 because I know Safeway and Fed Meyer get supplies shipped up where you shop.

If Im ever in Juneau I'll look you up and buy you a beer. I know you're not the same guy posting behind the computer.

I will be on Kodiak this fall and planned on only two tags. But I'm fine with one as a non resident.

If you do come to Juneau you can buy me a beer but I think you got me confused with Questicle .You can also PM me if you want Kodiak gets alot of hype but I much rather hunt the timber here in SE AK .

Apparently the BOG is going to have a "special meeting" on May 25 to reconsider both the unit 19 sheep hunting closure for nonresident hunters, and the reduced deer bag limit for nonresident hunters on Kodiak Island. I wonder why this doesn't surprise me? Next will be the BOG just shit canning both of their original plans that they had already put into place back in March. Hopefully that won't be the case, but I guess we'll see.
BOG members stepped out of line from their king! They did their job and prioritized the preferred will of the people and the environment over commercial users and as we all know, that's a BIG no no in Alaska! I'm sure they all got a stern talking to and now have to publicly reevaluate their sins. The result of the BOG being nominated by and approved by politicians. So unbiased…….

Oregon

WKR
I'm still trying to figure out why people are mad at people who don't like this change.
We spend years and years going up with 3 tags. We have fun shooting 3 deer. We enjoy the hell out of 150#s of deer meat.
Limit drops to one. We now spend 5,000k for one deer. 5 day hunt. A 110" deer is a giant.
5k gets you 55# of deer meat and a fun hunt.
Why be mad??? We're used to more.
It's what we're used to. No way in hell, I'd pay that money for a single blacktail.
Granted, if I've never done it, sure. Once.

AKplumber

FNG
I'm still trying to figure out why people are mad at people who don't like this change.
We spend years and years going up with 3 tags. We have fun shooting 3 deer. We enjoy the hell out of 150#s of deer meat.
Limit drops to one. We now spend 5,000k for one deer. 5 day hunt. A 110" deer is a giant.
5k gets you 55# of deer meat and a fun hunt.
Why be mad??? We're used to more.
It's what we're used to. No way in hell, I'd pay that money for a single blacktail.
Granted, if I've never done it, sure. Once.
Because your money doesn’t go into the economy it affects no one other than the “guides” and over half of them don’t even live in our state. Meanwhile locals can’t even get a plane service to fly them out because of people like you booking them over a year in advance. Go hunt moose or caribou and see what I’m talking about. No way in hell anyone is going to miss seeing out of state people shooting three deer. Go catch some fish. How would you like it if all the Alaskans with money came to your state and were allowed three deer? Bunch of damn hypocrites who don’t even follow hard winters that kill up to 70% of populations in one winter. Read a book

Oregon

WKR
Because your money doesn’t go into the economy it affects no one other than the “guides” and over half of them don’t even live in our state. Meanwhile locals can’t even get a plane service to fly them out because of people like you booking them over a year in advance. Go hunt moose or caribou and see what I’m talking about. No way in hell anyone is going to miss seeing out of state people shooting three deer. Go catch some fish. How would you like it if all the Alaskans with money came to your state and were allowed three deer? Bunch of damn hypocrites who don’t even follow hard winters that kill up to 70% of populations in one winter. Read a book
Funny. I spend money at the Mecca. I spend money at the sporting good store. I spend money at the hotel. I spend money on cabs. Granted, I go to the CG exchange and spend a lot on liquor.
I've got months on that island, awaiting deer or done with deer. I've got months in that city. I spend a lot. So, so be it. No need to go for one deer. My transporter is obviously good with it. 4 trips. Everyone 10 days.
Don't do the 5 day hustle. Weather sucks.

AKplumber

FNG
Funny. I spend money at the Mecca. I spend money at the sporting good store. I spend money at the hotel. I spend money on cabs. Granted, I go to the CG exchange and spend a lot on liquor.
I've got months on that island, awaiting deer or done with deer. I've got months in that city. I spend a lot. So, so be it. No need to go for one deer. My transporter is obviously good with it. 4 trips. Everyone 10 days.
Don't do the 5 day hustle. Weather sucks.
Ok , my grandpa lived on that island for 20 years and died there but I don’t go around bragging about all the money spent and how I deserve to shoot x amount of deer a year. I have never shot more than one deer on a trip because I can’t afford to vacation hunt. I don’t get to sit on a boat that is basically a small yacht while getting fed three square meals a day with a shower and booze every night. More power to you if you can afford it but complaining online about regulations that are there to protect populations is ridiculous.

Oregon

WKR
Ok , my grandpa lived on that island for 20 years and died there but I don’t go around bragging about all the money spent and how I deserve to shoot x amount of deer a year. I have never shot more than one deer on a trip because I can’t afford to vacation hunt. I don’t get to sit on a boat that is basically a small yacht while getting fed three square meals a day with a shower and booze every night. More power to you if you can afford it but complaining online about regulations that are there to protect populations is ridiculous.
Got it. You're the guy who is upset with people upset about a 1 deer limit. Understood. Hey, that's your prerogative. Kudos.
No one is "actually complaining".
We're just saying spending that money for 1 deer ain't worth the squeeze.

Would you like me to change my stance and say "super stoked about spending 5k to kill a 110" deer"!!!!???

Why you so upset?? How does this affect you?
Why am I monster for not going to Kodiak for 1 deer??
Hook me up Bro. I'm curious.

Oregon

WKR
You are not a monster. This is the desired outcome of this regulation change. Thank you for your cooperation.
You're welcome!! I did 32 years active duty US Coast Guard. I was at the Exxon Valdez Spill. Scrubbed oil off rocks. I did Search and Rescue out of Ketchikan for 4 years. Sailed it all. Aleutians down to Boca De Quadra.
I'm truly a monster. I want at least 2 deer. Not 1. I'm just a guy who doesn't contribute nothing. Never had. Never will.
I'm spoiled.

Status
Not open for further replies.