Kodiak Deer limit change

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoeB

Lil-Rokslider
We have a trip planned this year, was planning on trying to harvest two after all the expense of getting there. Guess there trying to get people to come back a second trip and spend more?? I don't think that I'll pay all the money out to go back to do the same thing just to harvest a second buck.

I would think residents must kill the predominance of deer. 2 and 2 might have been a better compromise IMO
I would disagree with that. Testimony given by transporters during the meeting doesn't agree either. And just by the fact that 50% of every jet going to and from the island is camouflaged dudes kinda says otherwise as well.

I don't agree with the proposal. It has nothing to do with population. All the public comments were opposed (besides a local community) and that includes opposition by residents. Even the AC's were mostly opposed. Unfortunately, the Kodiak AC in favor and the public comment by the Community of Port Lions held a ton of weight. You can see on this site where the nonresident wave runs and it's currently on Kodiak. Wherever that wave runs, restriction soon follow. Before Kodiak everyone here was all in on 23 caribou. Now it's making its way to the Haul Road. After that's restricted, it will be Unit 18 moose.

Last edited:

Tyewire3

Lil-Rokslider
I have a trip booked for 24’ very disappointing to hear. I will not be going back for deer again

Idk why id spend the money to come from lower 48 for 1 deer now. If I'm going to spend $2500 -4k bucks I'd like a little more to chew on then that.

Last edited:
AK does it right
I how I wish I could agree with this. Given that 6 out of the 7, governor appointed, BOG members are either guides (5) or retired guides (1), and that our regulations seem to always favor what's in the guiding industries best interest, over the resident hunters, I don't think AK does it right. IMO the only real reasons that this new regulation was put into place was because, yes, the deer #'s are probably down, but more importantly, this really has no effect on the guiding industry. Meaning, I think there are very few non-residents that come to AK to go on a guided Kodiak deer hunt, so it's not like the guiding industry is loosing out on a bunch of revenue because of this regulation change.

I'd love to see the BOG institute these types of measures first when considering areas of decreased sheep populations, like severely limiting/restricting non-residents hunting these areas, before including residents with restrictions as well, but that wouldn't be too good for the guiding industries back pocket. JMHO

SDHNTR

WKR
I how I wish I could agree with this. Given that 6 out of the 7, governor appointed, BOG members are either guides (5) or retired guides (1), and that our regulations seem to always favor what's in the guiding industries best interest, over the resident hunters, I don't think AK does it right. IMO the only real reasons that this new regulation was put into place was because, yes, the deer #'s are probably down, but more importantly, this really has no effect on the guiding industry. Meaning, I think there are very few non-residents that come to AK to go on a guided Kodiak deer hunt, so it's not like the guiding industry is loosing out on a bunch of revenue because of this regulation change.

I'd love to see the BOG institute these types of measures first when considering areas of decreased sheep populations, like severely limiting/restricting non-residents hunting these areas, before including residents with restrictions as well, but that wouldn't be too good for the guiding industries back pocket. JMHO
Interesting. I just like how AK micro manages the resource with a set of regs unique to a particular herd or river. Rather than blanket management that may or may not make sense for a particular area.

WRT Kodiak deer, don’t the transporters count? I don’t know too many Non Residents hunting there without a transporter.

Status
Not open for further replies.