Knives: money money or not

ZAK13

Lil-Rokslider
For years I've been using a Buck Vanguard or a 110, I can usually get 2 deer broken down before touching up the blade. For the past 5 years, also been using a Havalon along side my Buck. Didn't spend much money on either one.

SwiftShot

WKR
I have a few knives. One kill kit stays in the truck. It has the heavier stuff in it. That one has two old timers. Both those knives can do an elk alone. For my pack kill kit. Outdoor Edge Oryx weighs like 3 oz. No problem doing an elk with it this year with just one blade. All those knives are cheap and have lasted years. I sold my Knives of Alaska, just too heavy and really did not like the blade angle. Of course I go cheap on knives, own 30 rifles some really expensive and bow hunt everything. So probably not the best for advice on where to spend your money. Oh the bow is like 8 years old.

It was the original 705 and 710 for me, then deja vu all over again when I got to actually pick up both sizes of the Presidio models. Didn't like any of the four from the pictures, but ended up buying all of them.
For most of us, Benchmade just hits it out of the ball park time and again.
The 710 was my first years ago...

TheTone

WKR
I own a ton of knives; I’ve bought very few of them most being found, gifts or won somehow. My most expensive is probably a benchmade cheapest maybe a havalon? More often than not I don’t pack the benchmade; my most used are probably a 60-70 dollar buck or a really light crkt set that I have. They all do the same thing for me

S.Clancy

WKR
Personally, I carry a fixed 4" blade S30V steel knife that I paid $30 for, and a Havalon that I also paid $30 for. I use the Havalon for skinning and caping, and the fixed blade mostly for everything else. I just try to keep everything as clean as possible. The S30V knife is still very sharp after a bull elk, and the Havalon gets a new blade for the next one.
That's prob the best way to do it. I have just the S30v steel knife and love it, but when I'm skinning out a head I def want a havalon. I just hack away with the bigger knife. You got me thinking of carrying 2 knifes now, damn you

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
That's prob the best way to do it. I have just the S30v steel knife and love it, but when I'm skinning out a head I def want a havalon. I just hack away with the bigger knife. You got me thinking of carrying 2 knifes now, damn you
I used to carry a sharpener, but the Havalon is actually lighter and smaller than the sharpener is. So I figured I might as well have a few extra blades to work with at less weight so it's not a big deal. I carry a few 60A's and 22's as well. Some of those bulls can be completely caked in mud, and even a good knife will dull quickly cutting through all that. I always start by cutting down the backbone and skin down from there. But I've had bulls that had the thickest skin I've ever seen down the back of their neck. It's like trying to cut through 3/4" of cartilage or something. And that dulls the knife too.

mcseal2

WKR
I got a part time knife builder to make me exactly what I wanted. Cost me $140 for the first one and I liked it so well I bought a second in case I ever lose it. Materials went up so the second cost $160. Unless I lose them I'll never need another hunting knife. I'm a knife guy though, so I'm sure I'll buy some anyway.

S.Clancy

WKR
I used to carry a sharpener, but the Havalon is actually lighter and smaller than the sharpener is. So I figured I might as well have a few extra blades to work with at less weight so it's not a big deal. I carry a few 60A's and 22's as well. Some of those bulls can be completely caked in mud, and even a good knife will dull quickly cutting through all that. I always start by cutting down the backbone and skin down from there. But I've had bulls that had the thickest skin I've ever seen down the back of their neck. It's like trying to cut through 3/4" of cartilage or something. And that dulls the knife too.
Yea, we used to carry sharpener too, haven't since I got the S30v knife. The couple ounces for the havalon and blades would be fine for the head or "in case" scenario. The bull I shot this season (rifle season) was the way you describe, neck skin like cutting through a leather saddle. That's the first elk where after I quartered and skinned the head and noticed the knife wasn't that sharp anymore.

After using a Gerber multi-tool on an elk I decided 1. Never leave my better knives at home. 2. I dont really need a super knife. A plain ole knife will work fine.

Jeff_Gibbons

Lil-Rokslider
Lots of good thoughts shared. I really like the comment made about finding a knife that feels good in the hand. My bench made feels great and the ergo doesn’t wear on me while I work on the animal. I also like to carry 2 knifes. One fixed blade and one folder (havalon). The small outdoor edge grizz saw is handy too but not critical for me.

jpadia

FNG
Classified Approved
Why spend $250 on a knife? I think this is personal preference and only you can make that justification. Is function/ability to cut all that is important to you? If so a box cutter would be fine and cheaper than a havalon. I watched a hunter use a box cutter to break down an elk. Now if you want specific ergos, blade shape, blade length, steel, edge retention, or other options, then maybe a boxcutter isn't ideal. You will pay more for qualities other than the ability to cut. I make my own fixed blades but also have a havalon multitool that I use at work on animals I don't want to use my good knife on. I love my havalon multi tool, but not the dedicated havalon knives. I give those to hunters who have dull knives in the field. Quality cutlery lets you focus on the job and not on the limitations of the knife/tool. Price tag doesn't necessarily equal quality. It depends on what you like and what works for you. I own Dozier, Chris Reeve, Kershaw, Spyderco, Benchmade, and others. I like all of them for different reasons that aren't necessarily related to breaking down animals or price.

I personally do not like paracord handles. I wouldn't spent a cent on one.

Knives are selected for the shape and the fit. I like about 3.5" blade about 3/4" wide for delicate work and a bigger knife for skinning. I have an old timer my dad bought or a kbar I inheirited among others. What goes with them is a diamond sharpner to touch them up as needed. High grade steel just means I take fewer breaks to touch it up. Sharpening skills comes with time and effort.

Throw-away blades cause me concern with where I might find them when I am not paying attention.

Outdoor edge is probably the best for purely functional use. They are not heirlooms or pretty but they work very well. The blades are not only replaceable but interchangeable and swap out in seconds. I always carry a traditional backup knife but I use the OE's 99% of the time.

jimh406

WKR
I've used a few different brands in all price ranges. As someone noted, keep it sharp. I personally like better knives because I can afford them.

I always bring two knives and a steel. You might have to stop more often with a lessor knife to resharpen, but you can get by.

I have used a Buck 110 since I was 15. I have about 15 knives total ,10 or so are Buck, one Gerber, couple of old Schrades and a outdoor edge that I have not tried yet. I only really need that original 110 the others have just followed me home somehow....

TEWONG

FNG
IMG_5900.JPG

In the past I've always carried an EDC pocket knife and Outdoor Edge replaceable blade knife. Has always met my needs but was looking to shave a little weight so this season switching to a Hogue Expel Scalpel and Benchmade Hidden Canyon. The Hogue has a pretty clever mechanism to replace the scalpel blades, super easy and little risk of cutting oneself. Regarding the Benchmade - wasn't looking at this model specifically but was on sale at REI for ~$160 and decided to cash in my dividend.

Both knives together are ~6oz lighter than my previous setup. Looking forward to trying these out in the field...