Knife. What do you carry?

WyoKid

WKR
I know the new replaceable blade knives are the new rage and I cannot dispute their sharpness and uses. Back in the day, I carried a Buck 110 and a Gerber and later transitioned to a fixed blade that I hand made as a kid. Once the reality of weight and long hikes became more of a factor, I then moved to a light weight folder - Spyderco stretch.

The only reason I shy away from replaceable bladed razor knives is that my knife tends to be somewhat of a multi purpose tool. Just my personal preference.

Attachments

• IMG_20200315_130150.jpg
    IMG_20200315_130150.jpg
    256.4 KB · Views: 93
While at the Portland Sportsman Show I talked in depth with a well known hunter. It put my brain into over drive.

What do you carry and why?

I carry two small and old Gerber knives that take up little space and weight is minimal. I carry two for a backup and no sharpener. Have done many elk over the years and never needed more.

Please post your thought.
Gerber is definitely a good choice of knife for hunting. I have handled a couple of knives myself but I particularly fancy the Ka-Bar and Buck knives which I found on https://gearly.org/best-horizontal-carry-knives/

i'm a little bit of a knife junky...

my EDC is an older Kershaw with a tanto tip, was a mini griptilian for a while, but really grew fond of the tanto tip for the application.

honing knives... off the top of my head, I have a custom a friend made me (skinner) he made it from stock, shaped it, forged it, ground it, made a nice handle and sheath.

I also have an elk track from Norm, benchmade altitude, dalstrong paring, havalon.

the past probably 8yrs I have pretty much exclusively used the havalon for everything, takes me 2 blades to take a whole elk apart, one for a buck or lion, one or 2 for a bear.... once you learn the limitations of those blades, they just work.... cheesy little system, but you have a razor sharp knife the whole job with super precision.
i'm replacing it with a tyto this year.

i always carry a real knife too for redundence, but rarely use it, even popping leg joints on a big bull is easy with a havalon.

the Dalstrong (shogun series) is new to me, my wife bought me one of their filet knives, and i have been amazed by that blade material, it's a japanese damascus super steel, and is the most user friendly blade steel i have used as far as taking an easy edge and keeping it.

when i was too young to work on the boats i was a fish filleter until i was old enough, and cut many thousands of fish per year for 5 yrs of my youth, and used just a couple different knives, so for that work, i'm very particular, and the fillet knife my wife got me doesn't get used on fish, but it's my go to for game processing.

after getting some time with that cutting up several deer and elk i did some digging and found they had a 4" blade paring knife.... though not a hunting knife, it certainly plays the role well.... that Dalstrong paring knife bumped my benchmade altitude out of my pack. i like the altitude but the Dalstrong holds an edge as well, and is way easier to get back to razor sharp in the field.

brsnow

WKR
I have a argali and benchmade altitude, 2 knives, less than 4oz. I also carry a benchmade puukko 200 as EDC. I no longer carry the havalon, I dropped it once in the excitement of starting to breakdown an elk and it stuck in very close to the femoral on my thigh. Being alone, I would have bled out quick. They are too effective for me.

notradame

Lil-Rokslider
Typically 'on person' I will have 3 or 4. I'm not counting the number of blades per knife -- usually have at least a SAK and sometimes also another 'traditional', which usually also has 2 or 3 blades. Depending on which bag I am carrying that day there may be another couple of knives (I'm counting blades in a MT) in the bag as well.

Trial153

WKR
Doizer small tab lock trapper, or Hinderer compact dauntless been in my rotation

mcseal2

WKR
It varies depending on the trip. Lately its been the Dozier pro guide and a ZT 452. If I anticipate caping I add a Benchmade Altitude. I mostly do European mounts for the shop anymore.

RS3579

WKR
Case pocket knife folding everyday. Case orange handle fixed blade in the field for day hunts. Sometimes a havalon also.

Capt. Max

FNG
Bark River gunny hunter in A2 steel and in Elmax. I prefer the A2 it will rust but gets razor sharp fast and cuts meat better. I have skinned and butchered hundreds of wild pigs with it as I do hunts in Georgia in the winter time. I have done elk and deer with it also. Its heirloom quality that is not that expensive.

I like sharpy pokey things a little too much.

my EDC is a zero tolerance 350 or a leatherman.

in the woods I have a havalon in my kill kit and usually a leatherman in my bino harness or pocket. I will take the ZT or a winkler hunting knife along for most hunts So I have a stout blade. I have a couple of ESEE knives that get pulled in for general use. For heavier camp chores, I like a small hatchet like the Gerber combo axe. For brush clearing, a shortish machete Like the ESEE JungLas or Ken onion chance in hell.

Flaboy

Lil-Rokslider
I usually have 3 with me. ZT 0456 in my pocket, Benchmade Follow Up hanging from my neck and a Benchmade Hidden Canyon Hunter in my pack. They all have hard steels and hold an edge for awhile. The ZT has 20cv and both Benchmade's have s30v.

Travis2282

Lil-Rokslider
I have a argali and benchmade altitude, 2 knives, less than 4oz. I also carry a benchmade puukko 200 as EDC. I no longer carry the havalon, I dropped it once in the excitement of starting to breakdown an elk and it stuck in very close to the femoral on my thigh. Being alone, I would have bled out quick. They are too effective for me.
Which do you like better the argali or altitude?

FHT_365

FNG
I carry a Tyto and morakniv. Probably going to add a victorinox boning knife also.

PlanoDano

FNG
I carry a BM altitude 2 in my kill kit. I may or may not carry a Grip in my pocket. When whitetail hunting I usually have an M4 BM Contego in my pocket. Large and tough blade can handle the manicuring of lanes if needed.

Jardo

WKR
For elk and deer, I like a bark river. Either the Canadian or fox river. If I’m out for an extended trip, I’ll take the falkniven f1 because I know it won’t rust.

I have a havalon. I break too many blades but it’s nice for the detail work on a cape.

The outdoor edge is awesome but it doesn’t get used as much as my barkys.

I love moras but they lose their edge half way through an elk. They’re ok for deer.

I have an esee but it’s too big for hunting. It’s a great truck knife or tacticool knife.

I guess my all around favorite is the bark river fox river.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I carry a Tyto 1.1 and a piranha mini guard in my bino harness plus my edc in my pocket which is either a benchmade mini grip or a benchmade 940-1