Knife Recommendations

MNGrouser

Lil-Rokslider
You've heard a lot of opinions here and I don't know that mine is any better than an others. I too am scared of the replacement blades. Like others have said, even when being super careful it feels like I'm on the verge of cutting myself badly. I own a replacement blade and I know they have their place.

With your budget I'd suggest a Buck 119 fixed blade. Solid, dependable, safe and competent. $75 if you don't even bother to shop around. If you are inclined to try a replacement blade knife I think there are some $30 options with the cash you have left over.

My dad didn't like folding blade knives for gutting deer so I don't like folding blade knives. I worry there is too much else to break or go wrong but at the end of the day, I think I just do it because it is what my dad did.

One more piece of advice when it comes to knives. If you do the entire butchering process yourself (which I recommend), add another 20 bucks to your budget and get a fillet knife. I use one a ton during the butchering process.

l00p3y360

FNG
You can approach this in multiple ways. My question is what type of hunter are you and what environment are you in? I'm a meat hunter so I break up my kill in the field as much as legally possible. This requires 1 knife with patience as to not spoil meat. The knife choice is between replacement blades or traditional knife. If you don't know how to sharpen I would suggest replaceable blades. That is their only advantage. Be aware of the blade limitations sine they will snap on you.

Bdmunro

FNG
Don't overthink it. As long as it is sharp and can hold an edge. The problem with expensive knives is that it can be painful when you lose them. To be honest a $12 Morakniv from Amazon and you are set.

Used Gerber made in USA folding 3" blade and fixed blade Gerber for about 17 years of many deer, many turkey and a few elk from field to all butchering process. Just upgraded to custom Hatfield because I wanted to give gift to my hunt partner. Will prob still carry the Gerber folder for its accumulated luck! Good luck. I don't like the replaceable blades.

Attachments

• 20211031_135811.jpg
    20211031_135811.jpg
    223.2 KB · Views: 18
  • 20240613_183916.jpg
    20240613_183916.jpg
    343 KB · Views: 18
For a $100 budget the buck 113 or the benchmade steep country are pretty hard to beat for the price. That's a lot of bang for your buck with those two knives.