Kimber, Fierce, LAW, Christensen Arms, the rest too ....

GKPrice

Banned
I read this forum as much or more than the others on Rokslide (as would be evidenced by participitation I guess) but recently it dawned on me that there is a stand out thread theme .... "which rifle ?" and the tirades begin ... - "Kimbers are a pos" - "LAW's have too many problems for me to buy one" - and the list goes on and on .... I realize that this is a forum "a venue for others to share experiences with one another" but I have grown weary of this predisposition for a chance to tell the world how awful a product, in this case firearms (obviously) has become - I also understand that member numbers is what shows the world of forums which is the best one - I have watched this trend of telling how bad a company is grow exponentially to the point where I feel obliged to defend the companies which lately has made me an "enemy" of more than I befriend and I have realized that I can't change the tide of this trend so I'm up on my soapbox to say some things -

a custom riflemaker or gunsmith makes one rifle at a time, that's just what they do - to a lesser or greater degree they are artists and their finished product (rifle) are at least to them a work of art (or that smith might want to find another career) It's why they cost so much (easy to understand for most of us)

a limited production rifle maker contracts key components for his limited number of rifles brought to fruition - the ONLY way this company has any way of knowing what quality a barrel is going to be is to either shoot each one to his satisfaction or get a bunch of them in the hands of customers with a guarantee that he will make corrections if that gun fails to "perform" - Stock - Bedding - Tigger pull and quality - finish - these are things that can be controlled at the facility that ships the finished product - we will all agree that any given rifle might have imperfect bedding (which can be corrected), an imperfect stock (another can take it's place pretty easily in most cases), this list goes on UNTIL we get to the "BARREL", barrels can only be vetted by shooting them, a strictly time limited process to do while in the maker's possession - So the rifle gets a less than optimal barrel and winds up in the hands of it's new owner who is either a factory ammo shooter, a limited experience handloader or a "this ain't my first rodeo" handloader/shooter - When the rifle is a true "custom" it is rightful IMO to ask for loads to be worked up and all data provided with the gun, this raised the cost of the rifle - Here is where guys like Melvin Forbes come onto the stage, he uses DOUGLAS barrels period and has become one of, if not THE, premier builder in operation today, he'll build a rifle that will shoot to "his" requirements or not leave the factory and he'll tell you what shoots good "for him" when he sends you the rifle but is this a true "custom" rifle ? I mean no insult when I say no, it's not, Forbes has found a venue that appeals to many hunters and he has found what works, ask him if he'll put a PacNor barrel on one of his rifles and listen to what he'll tell you - I've been to PacNor barrel before, it was back when Chris Deichter ran it, there was a 55 gal drum of "barrels" in a corner nearly full, I happened to be there with John Noveske, he pulled a .30 tube from the "cull barrels trash can" and took it home and built a 1/2" .308 for himself with it (he never would have done that for a customer's gun) - He explained that it's all in how much time you want to put into it and skill of the smith, this barrel was culled because it had a slight curve in it's length imperceptible to the eye, John simply installed it so the curve was true to the action with the upward curve centerd exactly at the bottom center of that action, and the rifle "shot" - Sorry for the story but it has a point: how many production rifle companies a) use one maker's barrels only, and is that barrel maker giving the maker it's good barrels ? b) can or will that maker take the time to install a known less than perfect barrel the way it won't matter (how many even understand it ??, or care ?) Kimber doesn't have that sort of time or talent I dare to say, if they did do you think you could still buy a Montana for $1100-$1200 ? "TIME" costs, "PERFECTION" costs, all of this in a package COSTS ( again using Kimber, there's an allowance for error in the manufacture of anything) ..... each production company has their own style and I'm sure that in their mind's eye, an idea to bring each of these things into a "rifle" that will perform to a level acceptable to the general shooter/hunter - 3 shots into 1" moa at 100 yards with FACTORY ammo, acceptable ergonomics, smooth and unfaltering performance ie: round feeding & ejection, all of it - I think my point is obvious so I'll not bore you all any longer

BUT I'll say this, take LAW rifles, I met the guys whose brainchild LAW is/was and it was more than obvious to me that they truly cared, no they are passionate about the rifles they are going to produce - if you could talk one of them into building a rifle personally there's no doubt in my mind it would be as close to perfect as I am able to appreciate (but you surely would not get it for the price a Professional or another model goes for) - Same goes for Kimber or any other brand that you can think of but using Kimber as an example I would bet that AT LEAST 39 out of 40 (probably more like 99 out of 100 actually) Montana owners are ecstatic about their lightweight rifle (maybe once they take the time to learn the nuances of shooting a very lightweight rifle that is)

but as 21st century Americans too many of us just "expect" to not be bothered with these things, just give us our "perfection" and do it cheap ! well, think about how "cheap" do we all work for ?

Last edited:

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Shoot2HuntU
Yes and no. I mostly find the thought that they can't be "perfect" as a copout for the company. I've shot and worked with quite a few Montanas and they have issues. Their QC sucks plain and simple. Worse than any other major company currently making guns in my experience. There is a reason that Kimber has the rep that they do, the same reason that a certain scope company has their "great warranty" reputation- they earned it. The difference is that Kimber doesn't like to/won't fix their problems.

When you read read a thread about Tikka's, 80-90% is about how good they shoot. When you read a thread about Kimber's, half or more is about tweaking, fixing, accuracy issues, bedding issues, chamber issues, etc. There is a reason for that.

Just as with Leupold and Vortex, consumers do not benefit from sweeping issues under the rug or making excuses as to a products failing. The whole "Kimbers are hard to shoot" BS needs to die a horrible death. Shoot two identical Kimbers side by side with the only difference being a barrel replacement, and it's clear- "Kimbers are hard to shoot" because they are assembled haphazardly.

I'm as interested in failures, or more so, than I am of successes. Hiding issues doesn't help anyone.

• Banned
OP
G

GKPrice

Banned
Yes and no. I mostly find the thought that they can't be "perfect" as a copout for the company. I've shot and worked with quite a few Montanas and they have issues. Their QC sucks plain and simple. Worse than any other major company currently making guns in my experience. There is a reason that Kimber has the rep that they do, the same reason that a certain scope company has their "great warranty" reputation- they earned it. The difference is that Kimber doesn't like to/won't fix their problems.

When you read read a thread about Tikka's, 80-90% is about how good they shoot. When you read a thread about Kimber's, half or more is about tweaking, fixing, accuracy issues, bedding issues, chamber issues, etc. There is a reason for that.

Just as with Leupold and Vortex, consumers do not benefit from sweeping issues under the rug or making excuses as to a products failing. The whole "Kimbers are hard to shoot" BS needs to die a horrible death. Shoot two identical Kimbers side by side with the only difference being a barrel replacement, and it's clear- "Kimbers are hard to shoot" because they are assembled haphazardly.

I'm as interested in failures, or more so, than I am of successes. Hiding issues doesn't help anyone.

being a comparatively limited Kimber customer I had no statistics and I know you have a lot of merchandise cross your path so that's good intel for me to pay attention to - should I have put Kimber in a different "class" than LAW and the rest ? I might come across as an "expert" but it's by accident - there is good reason why I still work at 65, too much $$$ spent on this sort of stuff ..... but no real statistical evidence to back my opinions, just "some" interior knowledge but I'm surely no gunsmith

In your opinion are Kimber barrels just not up to snuff or is it, in general, simply their product control ?

It is tough to argue in this day and age that getting a production or semi-custom rifle to shoot accurately is difficult. Like mentioned, I rarely ever hear of accuracy issues with Tikka rifles shooting poorly. They have control on their barrel QC and final QC going out the door, so the end product is an accurate shooting rifle. I come from a family of machinists, so being able to setup a CNC or Lathe to accurately put a tube on an action with tight tolerances and near perfect alignment isn't rocket science. Sure, there's the variable of getting a bum rifle barrel, but with proper QC work, these issues go way way down, even at the production level.

A true custom rifle are tools of art in my book. They work great and look excellent too.

FURMAN

WKR
I have often thought about this very topic. I find it hard to get a read on which "reviews" are valid. There are a lot of variables which make direct comparison near impossible. Many of the "reviews" simply state my rifle is(or isn't) accurate. What does that mean? I think we could all agree that expectations increase with price but I am not sure it is realistic to compare the accuracy of a <5lb Kimber to some of the rifles it is compared to. I have had great luck with Tikkas but I would suspect many who say they are happy with their accuracy are only looking for a <1MOA rifle. I very much agree with GKPrice's moint. If you want custom get custom. Even though a particular rifle may have a $2000 dollar price tag you can not expect 1/4moa when the guarantee is 1moa. I feel, from reading many unhappy "reviews", that most really get upset when customer service is non existent.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Shoot2HuntU
I have often thought about this very topic. I find it hard to get a read on which "reviews" are valid. There are a lot of variables which make direct comparison near impossible. Many of the "reviews" simply state my rifle is(or isn't) accurate. What does that mean? I think we could all agree that expectations increase with price but I am not sure it is realistic to compare the accuracy of a <5lb Kimber to some of the rifles it is compared to. I have had great luck with Tikkas but I would suspect many who say they are happy with their accuracy are only looking for a <1MOA rifle. I very much agree with GKPrice's moint. If you want custom get custom. Even though a particular rifle may have a $2000 dollar price tag you can not expect 1/4moa when the guarantee is 1moa. I feel, from reading many unhappy "reviews", that most really get upset when customer service is non existent.

Rorshach has a thread recently that highlighted what I, and many others have stated with regards to expected Kimber accuracy or more correctly, precision. Kimbers states their guns have a "sub moa accuracy standard for 3 shot groups with factory ammo". The issue is that most people would think that means relatively consistently placing 3 rounds under an inch at 100 yards. The problem is that even in a mechanical test most Montanas will not do it. Now the fact that a Montana is a 1.5 or 2moa gun may not matter in usefulness is understood, however that they won't do it and Kimber won't fix them, is the issue.

As forbthe accuary thing- real 1MOA rifles (defined as being able to hit a 1 MOA target on demand) are a lot less common than magazines, hunters, and the internet will have you believe.

FURMAN

WKR
I have chosen to stay away from Christensen, Kimber, and LAW to this point due to too many negative reviews. I Must be very lucky because I have never had a rifle in my possession that would not shoot less than 1MOA and I have sold the very few that would not shoot less than .5moa. I definitely agree a 1MOA rifle needs to shoot less than 1MOA on demand. I do believe I am going to eventually try some of these rifles just to see.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Shoot2HuntU
I have chosen to stay away from Christensen, Kimber, and LAW to this point due to too many negative reviews. I Must be very lucky because I have never had a rifle in my possession that would not shoot less than 1MOA and I have sold the very few that would not shoot less than .5moa. I definitely agree a 1MOA rifle needs to shoot less than 1MOA on demand. I do believe I am going to eventually try some of these rifles just to see.

I gues it dependson how you define "shoots 1MOA".

FURMAN

WKR
I'm not sure what you're getting at but there is only one definition.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Jimbob

WKR
Here are a few definitions

1. Grab any factory ammo and shoot three shots and they are under 1", shoot another three and another three and another three and they are all under 1"

2. Buy three or four factory bullets and find one that will do the above

3. Find the golden ammo that can do it in your rifle and you only need it to happen once

4. Golden ammo and you need a lead sled to make it happen once

5. The manufacture says it can happen so my gun is a sub MOA gun

Ha Ha but seriously I think there are many different ideas of what makes a sub MOA gun.

I get what you are saying GK. The reason I stay away from Kimber's, is the dealer's I ask do NOT consider them sub MOA rifles. If your in business to sell them, and you say that, it's a problem.

It was easier for me to get browning xbolts to .5 and less moa than it was for the Christensen Arms Ridgelines. I thought the Ridgelines were sloppy. Now the Mesa looks like it could be their best value and I almost ordered one. Browning doesn't boast about MOA, yet I have found them to be that.

I ordered a fierce TI edge in the 26 nosler because I THINK it may be the best overall package of weight and shootability. We will see when it arrives. I love the 26. I've had 3.

I ordered a browning xbolt pro in a 6.5 creedmoor for it being new, reliability, and the fact they are branching out and trying to hit the market I am in. I am excited. Going to be my wife's hunting rifle.

I also have a tikka in 7mm08. These rifles are great. I don't like the 9.5 twist barrel. I'm keeping the action and am going to start building my first ever gun. Maybe 280 AI? 6.5X284? Just for the range.

The nosler m48 in 26 nosler was out of the box .3. wish I had of kept for range purposes. Too heavy for my to hunt with.

Sorry, I rambled. I like guns. I'm searching for my favorite and I'm hoping the fierce fits the bill.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

elkguide

WKR
No expert here for sure. Must be just a lot of dumb luck with rifles as I have three Kimber Montanas that will all put three bullets into a 1" or less group. When I bought one of the Kimbers, the previous owner had messed with the trigger so badly and had "lost" a spring so I called Kimber and asked to buy a replacement and was told that they had to reassemble it in their facility and it would be 8 - 10 weeks. I had other options and wanted the rifle fixed so I returned it. The rifle was back in two weeks, with a new trigger assembly. Another was an early one that had a 2 position safety and I wanted a 3 position. It was back in 17 days.

While the statement that only accurate rifles are fun to shoot rings true to me, the rifle also has to feel good in your hands especially if it is a hunting rifle that you are going to spend a lot of time carrying. I have found that many Browning rifles are good shooters but I don't like the palm swell or the bolt throw. The Tikkas seem to be very good shooters to but they also don't throw up well for me either. So I buy a rifle that fits me well and feels good in my hands then we go to the bench and see if it's a keeper or if it's now trading material.

Man, I love this addiction!

OP
G

GKPrice

Banned
I get what you are saying GK. The reason I stay away from Kimber's, is the dealer's I ask do NOT consider them sub MOA rifles. If your in business to sell them, and you say that, it's a problem.

It was easier for me to get browning xbolts to .5 and less moa than it was for the Christensen Arms Ridgelines. I thought the Ridgelines were sloppy. Now the Mesa looks like it could be their best value and I almost ordered one. Browning doesn't boast about MOA, yet I have found them to be that.

I ordered a fierce TI edge in the 26 nosler because I THINK it may be the best overall package of weight and shootability. We will see when it arrives. I love the 26. I've had 3.

I ordered a browning xbolt pro in a 6.5 creedmoor for it being new, reliability, and the fact they are branching out and trying to hit the market I am in. I am excited. Going to be my wife's hunting rifle.

I also have a tikka in 7mm08. These rifles are great. I don't like the 9.5 twist barrel. I'm keeping the action and am going to start building my first ever gun. Maybe 280 AI? 6.5X284? Just for the range.

The nosler m48 in 26 nosler was out of the box .3. wish I had of kept for range purposes. Too heavy for my to hunt with.

Sorry, I rambled. I like guns. I'm searching for my favorite and I'm hoping the fierce fits the bill.

I'm now of the same opinion, if you take a Kimber to a capable gunsmith, tell him to go through the rifle for issues and rebarrel it you'll have a nice lightweight model 70 'improved" but you'll be into it as much as a lot of more expensive rifles but actually it could be called a custom to a degree - That would probably be well worth the trouble and expense if a person is a mountain hunter but at this point, for me, it's more than I want to do so I'll stick with the Tikka that I have that shoots and works well for me and be good with that
Browning rifles (Miroku manufactured) have ALWAYS been great shooters, since the "fat bolt" days
Don't really know the Fierce rifles but I'm sure it will be awesome !
As far as the 9.5 twist compared to a 9, IMO you're chasing your tail - there are great shooting and working 7mm rifles in existence sporting 1:10 twist rates that have been and are working good

GK,

The tikka has a 20 inch barrel on it. Since I want one longer, I may as well get twist like I want. Otherwise, I agree with you.

I have one xbolt in 7mm08 that has a 10 inch twist with a 20 inch barrel. Shoots 120 gr nosler BTS 3087 fps at .4. my whitetail rifle. Has put down 4 bucks over 130, including a 165 incher in AR.