Kifaru tactical vs duplex light

I decided to go with the kifaru instead of the exo k4. However now I'm trying to decide between the Tactical and duplex light, also should I go with the 24 or 26 inch frame? I'm 6 foot and average about 210-215 pounds. This pack will be my go to pack fpr all outdoor adventures and I never know what will come from them, which means durability and comfort is most important.i can carry a extra pound or two if needed. What do you all recommend? Thanks in advance.

7mm-08

WKR
Aron Snyder hunts with a duplex light. Kifaru's customer service folks are great and I expect they can help you sort this question out.

Scotto

WKR
I have an older 26 duplex and a 24 tactical. The 26 rarely sees action. I am 5' 10" for reference.
At 6' you will be fine with either size. I preferred the full sheet of the tactical vs the open style of the lite.

I prefer the tactical over the lite. And, if I could only have one, it’d be the tactical. I like that frame a lot.

I’ve spent a good bit of time complaining about my lite frame but, I spent the better part of this morning adjusting it under a 30 pound load and I finally got it dialed in perfectly.

The problems I was having were caused by me not paying attention to torso length. Nothing caused by Kifaru or the frame itself. I know it’s weird to be three years fooling with something but, I actually spend most of my time in the tactical. So, once getting long shoulder straps, I never really fooled with it much. I’ve packed a half dozen deer on it previously with no major complaints. Just not as comfortably as the tactical.

My biggest reason for choosing the tactical frame at this second is the higher hook up point for the meat shelf. Getting that meat higher makes a huge difference to me.

ncavi8tor

WKR
I've owned a Duplex Lite 26" for 3 years and like it. Just recently received a Duplex Tactical 26" and I love the way it feels with 35lbs. just walking around the neighborhood. It seems a little more comfortable with the extra back padding to me. I may be selling the Lite frame sometime in the future, but I'm not sure yet. The EXO K4 has my interest and I will be watching the reviews. I'm 6'0" 190lbs with a 19.25" torso.

NC

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

I have both. The Tactical for backcountry and heavy loads, my Duplex UL for truck camp and heavy loads. Or either one anytime. Confusing in know. Both great frames for any condition.

Movadius

Lil-Rokslider
I prefer the tactical over the lite. And, if I could only have one, it’d be the tactical. I like that frame a lot.

I’ve spent a good bit of time complaining about my lite frame but, I spent the better part of this morning adjusting it under a 30 pound load and I finally got it dialed in perfectly.

The problems I was having were caused by me not paying attention to torso length. Nothing caused by Kifaru or the frame itself. I know it’s weird to be three years fooling with something but, I actually spend most of my time in the tactical. So, once getting long shoulder straps, I never really fooled with it much. I’ve packed a half dozen deer on it previously with no major complaints. Just not as comfortably as the tactical.

My biggest reason for choosing the tactical frame at this second is the higher hook up point for the meat shelf. Getting that meat higher makes a huge difference to me.

What did you do to finally fix your issue regarding torso length? I'm struggling to get my duplex tactical frame to fit my just right, and I suspect it's because the point the shoulder straps separate from the frame is too high when I have the belt where it's supposed to be.

Citizen

FNG
I like both frames, having a 24 lite and 26 tactical.

Having a 18 torso I think the 24 is plenty of load lift and doesn’t bang into brush. The tactical is nice but the lite is the better engineered frame.

What did you do to finally fix your issue regarding torso length? I'm struggling to get my duplex tactical frame to fit my just right, and I suspect it's because the point the shoulder straps separate from the frame is too high when I have the belt where it's supposed to be.
The tactical frame I never struggled with. I had a hunter and knew exactly where to set my adjustment.

My lite frame was my problem. And, while I could get it close, it never was perfect. About three Saturday’s ago, I decided I was going to change that or, I was going to put it up for sale that evening.

I got outside with that frame loaded with 3 liters of water, my bino harness, several layers, my tree saddle, and my sticks and platform. I’m guessing my total weight was about 30 pounds.

I walked in the woods, in my neighborhood, all day long. Adjusting as I went. By about 11 am I had it dialed perfectly. I’ve packed loads scouting and Rick training 3 times since then. I love the way it feels now.

My advice to you is to micro adjust your frame. Get in the mirror and look once you have the belt snugged up overtop of your pelvis bones. Make sure the belt is running perpendicular. You don’t want it dipping in the front. Set your harness to fit like that.

Every time you tighten your waist belt, it by default lifts the weight off your shoulders. So, tighten your belt when adjusting your shoulder harness. Get them fitting with complete contact. Then , when loaded down, when you engage the load lifters, it’ll lift them the proper amount. Instead of floating the straps allowing the pack to bounce back and forth at the top as you walk.

Kybosh27

FNG

I have the Duplex Lite and never have tried the Tactical frame, but this is one thing I wish was changed being the position of the meat shelf. On the Duplex Lite I feel like it’s too low. If you try and strap the load down higher on the frame the shelf especially doesn’t do anything as it’s too low. I can see how that would make you like the Tactical frame more. I feel like also having a full sheet probably makes it easier to keep things centered when strapping stuff down.

Jauwater

WKR
I highly prefer the Lite over the Tactical.

Tactical feels like a piece of plywood on your back. I understand that’s not always a bad thing.

Lite allows for some lateral twist which helps if climbing using all fours. Tactical allows for very little lateral twist.

I want as little surface contact as possible with my back, and pack between the top of my lumbar, up to my shoulders while under light load. This is one reason I’m such a fan of the HPG pack system. The padding over the shoulder straps on the tactical is plush, and a lot of guys like it. But it’s always touching your back, and it’ll create heat.

I used a 22” tactical frame before switching to the 24” lite. My opinions on the two mainly stem from my early season hunts. I spend a lot of the hunting / fishing a gorge, and it’s always a lot of climbing, bending, bouldering, all that kinda mess. And the first month of deer season it’s typical to see 80-90 degree days. The mobility, and heat dissipation qualities of the Lite were noticed from the first time I used it.