Kifaru Scout vs. ?

So since the kifaru lumbar packs are so hard to find (specifically the scout) are there any other manufacturers producing a lumbar pack similar to the scout?

hunterjmj

WKR
I think outdoorsman's makes one. I have zero experience with there stuff except for the tripod mounts.

jAKe0711

Lil-Rokslider
I'd check out the
-Nixieworks Lightfighter rig,
-wingnut packs,
-hill people gear packs ride in the lumbar area,
-if you can find one the mystery ranch popup 18,
-outdoorsman Butte 25lt hip pack
-bergans budor hoftesekken
-CP gear 64 pattern ruck Gen 4
-if you can find one an army gregory spear buttpack
-mountainsmith tour
-oregon gear lumbar pack
-Kifaru daystalker (just a scout without molle if you can find one)
-if you're good with a sewing machine you can fairly easily modify a medium alice pack to work
-give Mel Terkla a shout over at Pocket Up to see if he could whip something that would meet your specifications
-YMI tactical sometimes does custom work

Full disclosure, I have minimal knowledge on the quality of the brands above besides kifaru (which is top notch). But these are all lumbar style packs that I found online in search for a scout stand in. I think the nixie works is the most bang for your buck because they offer a ton of different patterns.
It took me a long while to finally find a scout but I've loved it, and think they made a huge mistake discontinuing it or at least they should do 1 pre-order run a year of them. It's one of the few lumbar packs I've tried that doesn't flop around when jogging.

tony

WKR
Mountainsmith "day" is similar in size. Has the power pulls, delta straps whatever they are calling to cinch it it close. And a set of strappettes turns it into a nice shoulder carry day pack.
Bottle pockets will hold a 1 liter bottle (2 pockets)
And it comes with a shoulder strap for when you need a man bag 😀

Dbguinn

FNG
If you get a Mountainsmith Day I recommend the cross straps called: Strapettes.

If you want Kifaru-level quality then take a look at the Hill People Gear Umlindi

jAKe0711

Lil-Rokslider
Rally a group and ask kifaru for a RUN of the scouts.
Id be in and I already have 1
They did a limited run of them within the last year or so and with enough pestering likely will again..
I'm down, when do we start harassing them? Lol

Bender

Lil-Rokslider
Rokslide Sponsor
That limited run of scouts and tail gunners was the last we will do of those packs gents. We said one more and it turned into three more and some of us still twitch when we think about it.

jAKe0711

Lil-Rokslider
That limited run of scouts and tail gunners was the last we will do of those packs gents. We said one more and it turned into three more and some of us still twitch when we think about it.
This makes me very sad, it's such a great pack. Do you know if there are any designs in the works of another lumbar pack similar to the scout? Easier to produce maybe?

mavinwa2

WKR
Res WA ST, winter>Gilbert AZ , NR>AZ, UT, NM, CO.
I was fortunate to get in on the run of Scout packs. Fulfills my daypack-short hunt from vehicle gear needs.
Used my Scout pack combined w/LG Pocket a lot in the AZ desert in Jan2021&2022. Easily held my optics, tripods, day gear, kill kit and energy snacks. It leaves most of my upper back uncovered, less sweating. The straps are thinner than frame strap-pads, support carry weight very well and I can draw bow effortlessly with Scout on.

my Tailgunner2 is now my fishing pack. For more gear needs, all day hunts, my 22MagGen2 is go to.
I didn't do a multi-day backpack hunt last fall but have the Reckoning pack for those hunts.
Just love the Kifaru, interchangeability, quality and function for my needs.

NXTZ

Lil-Rokslider
This makes me very sad, it's such a great pack. Do you know if there are any designs in the works of another lumbar pack similar to the scout? Easier to produce maybe?
I just stumbled into this thread. My man, I have a scout from their most recent run. If you’re interested pm me, I’ve actually been thinking of unloading it on here.

Bender

Lil-Rokslider
Rokslide Sponsor
It was a great pack but it just didn't sell enough to keep it around (and we did sell it for more than a decade). Always working on something Jake. Right now it's all hands on deck getting orders out but soon enough new stuff will be coming out. It's going to be a while before you see any lumbar packs however. Sounds like NXTZ has you covered

wesfromky

WKR
Mountain smith, Mystery Ranch, and a number of others make lumbar packs.

I had, and sold three of the Kifaru lumbar pack - scout, hellcat, and tailgunner. Out of all three, the tailgunner was the one I liked best , but I now have a MR Gunfighter 14 that I actually like way more. Of course, I never ran the Kifaru with a hip belt, just off the shoulder harness, so that might be why I was not as big of a fan as others.

I just stumbled into this thread. My man, I have a scout from their most recent run. If you’re interested pm me, I’ve actually been thinking of unloading it on here.
Been looking for a scout or hellcat. Please pm me if still available.

mjh

Lil-Rokslider
Bison Gear is back in business. Check facebook and instagram. My old Pack Idaho pack still has some life left in it, and I've got a Hellcat, but I've been thinking a new Bison Gear pack my be nice........

PiTaLin

FNG
Just wanted to say that the hellcat is the absolute best for bushcraft and for saddle hunting... they are like a diamond that very few want to unload... I'm sad those are not and won't be made anymore :( ... love your products.