Kifaru Reckoning vs Hoodlum sizing/dimensions

Hi all,

New here. I'm looking at Kifaru hoodlum and reckoning for purchase. I have a question regarding their dimensions. On the website, reckoning measures 11 in wide and 12.5 in deep. On the other hand, hoodlum measures 15 in wide and 11 in deep.

Looking at the pictures online and on the website, these two packs do not look that much different in the width and the depth. Did the Kifaru get the measurements wrong? Or am I missing something?

Mitten32

WKR
You're missing something...

Hoodlum
Volume: 6,300 ci / 103.23 liters total (4,670ci main compartment only with lid folded down, 5,420ci main compartment with snow collar extended, and 440ci in each side pocket)

Reckoning
Volume main bag: 5,980ci / 98 liters total ( 5,080ci with the lid folded down, 450ci total in each side pocket)

Hoodlum is just an all-around a bigger pack with more cubic inches than the reckoning. Go with the specs and cubic inches. Pictures can be deceiving.

OP
A
Good points. But looking at the main bag volume (with lid folded down), hoodlum has volume of 4670ci and reckoning has volume of 5080ci. At least from volume standpoint, hoodlum seems smaller... But dimensions (width/depth) says otherwise. I am assuming the height of the packs is about the same of course. I am still missing something I assume.

OP
A
Thank you for comments. I do like the wide open access with center zip of Reckoning... I like that can zip it wide open from the top to bottom or open the bag from the bottom (not all the way up) to give me an access like horseshoe zipper-esque access. Unlike you though, I do prefer zipped side pockets. Good to know about stability of the belt pouch add-ons as well.

OP
A
Saw that video. It doesn't go in depth about dimensions etc though. Great video for comparison otherwise my

They are both very comparable and both very capable on extended 10+ days in the backcountry. Both great packs no doubt.

They are both very similar. I prefer the hoodlum for the side zip access as the center zip on reckoning limits how you attach pockets if you want to get in the pack.

Rock-o

WKR
I know Kifaru for one doesn't get hung up on dimensions - I expect other brands are the same. Volume, measured by balls, is what they go by.