Advice on Kifaru backpack options - Stryker XL + Campbag vs Hoodlum

RhinoKel

FNG
Hi ladies and gents,

Looking for advice on the best Kifaru backpack for my personal use case.

Australian hunter here. Generally my hunts are 1 day, day-pack hunts in my home state of South Australia, generally for Fallow Deer. The properties I have access to are generally pretty knarly to navigate through (generally thick scrub and steep hill-sides), so a meat hauler is extremely beneficial, especially in the warmer months when I want to get meat back to the car quickly.

Once to twice a year I will travel interstate to Victoria / Queensland to hunt Sambar and Red Deer. Sometimes we're based in a cabin and back in the evenings, sometimes overnight under a hootchie or small tent; I'm keen to do some more deep back country multi day hunts so I'm thinking about volume for rations and cold weather gear. Ex military so have had plenty of experience in the field.

I'd like whatever setup I get to be useful in the NZ alps as well, as I'm keen to get over and case some Tahr and Fiordland Wapiti in the near future.

My current setup is a military style frame not ideally suited to hunting but has done well so far; its Crossfire DG16 Frame, attached to a DG Mule with 2 x 7Ltr Dodge Pouches, and a DG Daypack Lid which adds 20L of storage space if required. (www.Crossfirepacks.com) On a normal day hunt I'll leave the lid and just take frame and mule with pouches and I generally don't need more than this unless there's inclement weather. It's basically like a slightly smaller version of the Stryker. I also have a Kifaru Camp Bag which fits in the DG mule to expand the setup into a multi day pack. The problems with the setup are that a) its squeaky where the cordura straps rub on the polymer frame and b) it's limited in its functionality as a proper multi-day pack. The squeakiness can be a problem for me as I'm often getting within 20m of Deer, plus it endlessly give me the shits. It's also a tad heavy. Current storage space using the camp bag is 5614 cubic inches or 92 litres, give or take depending on how full you can actually get the camp bag.

I've been looking at the Kifaru stuff for a good while. I've used some Kifaru gear before and loved the quality and robust nature of it. Apart from the frame, I have two options in mind - one is to grab a Stryker XL and utilise the Camp Bag and lid I already own, giving me an 6660 (1900 + 3540 + 1220) cubic inches of space or 109 litres . Second option is to go with the Hoodlum, with a Sherman serving as front pocket, and my current lid. This would give me approximately 8020 (6300 + 500 + 1220) cubic inches of space or 131 litres. The fact that the Hoodlum includes a meat shelf is a plus, as is the lower loop that can be used for retaining a bow as well.

I like the idea of the Styker acting as a day bag and meat hauler for day hunts, and having the ability to dump the camp bag with all the camping gear for longer hunts. It would definitely get some use replacing my current day hunting setup; I'm just concerned that the volume may end up being limiting when going on a longer backpack hunting trip. I've always been a 'better to have it and not need it rather than a need it and not have it' sort of guy. The Australian high country doesn't get as cold or snowy as the northern US / Canada, possibly negating the need for quite as much gear as in those cases, but I may need it for use in NZ.

Any help from users who have experience with both would be appreciated.

Cheers,

Rhino.

croben

Lil-Rokslider
I think you’d be happy with either one. I have the hoodlum and love it. I have one medium and one large pocket on the front and have a lid I run if extra volume is needed or if I know it’s going to be really wet and want some extra protection on top. I use this pack for everything from day trips to multi day hunts and it works great. Between the pouches on the front, the lid, and the two large side pockets, I hardly ever access the main bag. I really like this setup.

CB4

WKR
I have both and if I had to pick one I would choose hoodlum. However for what you are describing I think the Stryker XL fits the bill better. Can't go wrong to either.

I think the case can be made for having both. A bag that can do a 10-12, and a more dedicated day pack that can stretch to 3-4 with the camp bag. But if its just 1, the Hoodlum can do everything a stryker xl can do, maybe not as low profile, but the stryker xl/camp bag just cant stretch out as long as a hoodlum can.

Id add the Bedlam to the mix whenever it comes back in stock. I think I could do 10 out of the bedlam (archery season) with the OGL. I packed 7 days of supplies in the bedlam with a k4 lid this past weekend and I had room to spare in the main bag. Also has a few ways of packing down real compact in day mode, kifaru did a video showing all the ways to pack it for a day trip.

OP
RhinoKel

RhinoKel

FNG
Thanks for the feedback guys, much appreciated. I'd definitely be up to purchasing both, the funds are however lacking, plus shipping to Australia is a savage $140. But still tempting.

Get both if you can, I reckon.

I used to run an Exo 5500 for years here in Aus and I used it for literally everything. A few backpack hunting trips, Kokoda track, and lots of day hunting where I was hauling out meat. I didn't find the fact it was a large bag to be a problem for the day hunts, but the extra capacity was very nice when I needed it.

I've since retired that bag and replaced it with a Kifaru Reckoning on a Duplex Lite frame. I also have three M belt pouches (two in Xpac and one regular) as well as a guide lid in Xpac. I've done one overnight trip locally with this bag and didn't need the guide lid or Xpac belt pouches. I mostly run this bag with a M belt pouch on the top as a 'lid'. I upgraded for many reasons - wanting more capacity in general, wanting more modularity to make carrying options easier/more versatile, and just wanting to try something different.

I cinch my Reckoning down in 'day pack' mode fairly fairly. Some people are critical of this bag because it has many straps, but I find it just gives a lot of options of how to run it. I've hauled three fallow bucks out over the rut with it in day pack mode and the straps gave me lots of options for compression, which is really nice. The point is, while it's a big bag, I have options to attach more pockets for extended trips if need be, and I don't find it too much of a pain in the butt for day hunting, which is most of what it is used for.

With that being said, I'll get a Stryker XL down the line at some point just because it is such a nice streamlined system and I reckon it'll be a great option for day hunts.

So with all that being said, I would get a big bag first as it's always better to have more space and not need it, than the other way around, but I would look at getting a Stryker XL as soon as you're able. As for the big bag, the world is your oyster. I went with a reckoning over the Hoodlum because I like the idea of a centre zip and I'm not bothered by the idea that the side pockets don't have zips. For other people, that's a deal breaker.

Here's a pic of the Reckoning compressed for day use.

A pic with the lid on and full of stuffing to give an idea of look for extended trips.

Scouting for fallow rut with it compressed.

Overnight pack trip.

rbljack

WKR
I also have the reckoning and use it for a lot of different style hunts. Its great for day hunting or extended. With that said.....for what you described, the Stryker XL and camp bag set up may be your ticket because of how fast the bag detaches at the top for meat carry or camp bag insertion. Just a thought. But I dont think you would go wrong with any of them ( hoodlum, stryker XL/Camp bag, or reckoning). Im partial to the Reckoning simply because its what I decided on and have run/have personal experience with. I may be the exception to the rule, but I prefer to have the OGL Lid instead of running a medium pocket at the top of the bag. I hate the way it flops around when there is weight in a pocket at that top location. Much prefer to have the actual lid. I also run 2 medium pouches on the belt and one on the Molly centered at the lower back section. That pocket servers two purposes. First, and most of the time.....i carry my first aid kit there.
I cut my thumb pretty bad once, and learned my lesson. Having quick exterior access to the first aid kit is a priority for me now. The secondary purposes of that pouch is this: If I need to carry my gun back there, the gun stock tucks into the pocket (first aid kit moved to the lid) and the barrel can either go behind the lid, or cinched down to the front of it. Now I have the ability to carry the rifle for a packout and use trekking poles in both hands without having a gun in the way, or over a shoulder, etc. Hope these tips helps whichver direction you go.

Whichever you go with, I recommend getting the Gun Bearer too. That thing is GREAT for carrying your weapon at the "semi" ready if you have rifle hunts planned in addition to archery

Last edited:

WBrim

WKR
I use a Stryker XL, and really like it, it’s been great. That being said, I do plan on getting a hoodlum, or maybe the Bedlam, because I want to try them for myself.

Another vote for Stryker xl/camp bag setup considering what most of your hunting is, I think you would be happier with that. It’s an excellent day pack that converts to load hauling very quickly and intuitively

Yet another vote for a gun bearer too, I would never be without one, they are literally faster to get your weapon ready than a sling, more comfortable way to carry and almost as fast as having your rifle in hand, it’s a great way to carry a firearm or bow and they really shine in thick country.

Luked

WKR
I have had the OG Stryker for a few years and use it for small short trips here at home. When I went out west last year to hunt for Elk I thought the Stryker I have and the camp bag would be a good setup for a multi day hunt with gear, until I got it all packed up and loaded down. I did not like it at all. It put the pack so far back away from my back that it was uncomfortable. I ended up going with one of the bigger packs which was the 44 Mag. That made all the difference for me. And had more than enough room in the bag also, unlike my Stryker. I still love the Stryker for hunts here at home that are me just going to the woods then coming home like Turkey hunts, and Deer hunts from the stand. But for a long haul and multi day hunt I think the bigger bags are the ticket.

Hoghead

WKR
Striker XL large side pocket (750ci) compression pocket (1000 ci). Large belt pouch I also run a lid sometimes. Good for 5 days, and you can pack your animal in the sling. I set it up so when I get to camp I open 2 clips and the pocket come off. Then you have your gear and a great day pack.
039faa0c234dd4bec6ab878d6f9d5d10.jpg

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

Hoghead

WKR
I use the molle on the back of the pockets. I attach 2 compression straps to each and run them to the frame. I run 1 or 2 between the pockets, too. This makes it expandable if you kill something. Works great. The hellbender would work well, too.

OP
RhinoKel

RhinoKel

FNG
Striker XL large side pocket (750ci) compression pocket (1000 ci). Large belt pouch I also run a lid sometimes. Good for 5 days, and you can pack your animal in the sling. I set it up so when I get to camp I open 2 clips and the pocket come off. Then you have your gear and a great day pack.
039faa0c234dd4bec6ab878d6f9d5d10.jpg

That looks like a beast of a pack, soo much storage in that bad boy. It's too bad they don't sell the big side pockets anymore.