KIFARU Hellbender & Stryker XL Frame Fit

Iltasyuko

FNG
I have read about bag to frame fit being loose on the Hellbender and saw a YouTube video from Kifaru mentioning people having bag to frame fit issues with the Hellbender and Stryker XL. Are these problems of a loose fit real / a design issue or is it operator error? I was thinking of getting one of these for my 24” duplex frame.

Citizen

FNG
The bag fits tight on frame.

it’s that people want the bag closer to the frame due to the load shelf design, the bag isn’t direct mounted to a frame like a traditional bag. The load shelf is actually directly mounted to the frame and the bag hangs from top clips and side clips.

OP
I

Iltasyuko

FNG
The bag fits tight on frame.

it’s that people want the bag closer to the frame due to the load shelf design, the bag isn’t direct mounted to a frame like a traditional bag. The load shelf is actually directly mounted to the frame and the bag hangs from top clips and side clips.
Thanks for the info. I have the
Dall bag which fits just fine and I guess the Hell Bender and Stryker XL sit along the frame just the same as the Dall

wnelson14

WKR
You can get the Stryker xl closer and tighter iMHO becasue you can set the compression straps more towards the front of the bag, hellbender you would have to run the compression straps all the way around the bag due to no compression connection loops around the stretch pocket

Vargasm

FNG
I have the Stryker XL and love it, although I know what people mean when they say it fits loose. The back panel is tight to the frame, just like any of their packs. However the front can sag a little when empty due to the design. It has never affected me in a negative way, and once to fill it with gear the sag goes away.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Anyone use the Stryker xl for saddle
Hunting? I’m thinking it’s the perfect bag for it.

(NOP)

FNG
It can be a little annoying that the bag doesn't cinch up tight to the meat shelf. What I've done on a few occasions is route the top compression strap behind the frame between the shoulder strap and load lifter, so I'm attaching them to opposite side of where they are designed to attach. I can at least get get the top secured tight. It's really only a problem when I'm running a my steel plate for training weight. I don't want that plate sliding around and wearing out my pack.

Edit to add I have the Hellbender.

Last edited:

JNDEER

WKR
I have the Stryker XL and love it, although I know what people mean when they say it fits loose. The back panel is tight to the frame, just like any of their packs. However the front can sag a little when empty due to the design. It has never affected me in a negative way, and once to fill it with gear the sag goes away.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

This is what people mean. Normal packs fit in such a way that zippers are easy to open to get into the bag. The bag sags and sits loose- making opening the bag more tedious than normal pack bags. This is being nit picky and the first thing I noticed about it. Besides this aspect it functions just fine for its intent. Regarding XL

Attachments

• 974AF297-383C-4602-ABA7-B933D6815A1B.jpeg
    974AF297-383C-4602-ABA7-B933D6815A1B.jpeg
    557.6 KB · Views: 98
I have read about bag to frame fit being loose on the Hellbender and saw a YouTube video from Kifaru mentioning people having bag to frame fit issues with the Hellbender and Stryker XL. Are these problems of a loose fit real / a design issue or is it operator error? I was thinking of getting one of these for my 24” duplex frame.
You can hook buckles to the pals webbing on the front of the bag to keep it all snug, but if you hook to the loops on the side of the bag it is a little floppy with an empty bag.

It never bothered me, there are certainly ways around it if it bothers you, but the Stryker xl is a great bag imo, and my favorite kifaru bag. I think it’s a little bit over dramatized, but in function, it was never an issue, and when it comes to packing meat, it’s worth the little bit of flop vs The traditional meat shelves on kifaru bags, which I’m not a big fan of. I think Aron not liking meat shelves is the reason kifaru has not designed a more intuitive meat shelf design.

If I’m not using a Stryker xl, I will have a big enough bag to put meat and my gear in the bag, because I don’t like dealing with their meat shelves

If you don’t need a big bag for gear, the Stryker xl/hellbender is a great system. I think they will eventually redesign their meat shelves, they are due for a more intuitive design like exo

The hell bender sags a bit if there is nothing in it or the load sling. But, for saddle hunting, it won’t be sagging. You’ll have a platform and sticks or a one stick, your saddle, and all your gear in the bag or sling. It’ll set rock solid then.

(NOP)

FNG
Probably a perfect bag for saddle hunting, or packing stands in

It's definitely a compromise pack. I used it on a 7 day backpack hunt with a dry bag, had to unload most of the pack into the bag to get weight distributed. A month later I packed out a 16ft ladder and an additional hang on a mile+ back in deep snow. It handled that awkward load perfectly.

It has disadvantages and advantages. If I had a hunting style I'd maybe look a different way. My HB does it all so I'm sticking with it for the foreseeable future.

strongarm

FNG
@Iltasyuko
As others have noted, the empty Stryker XL on frame can be a little disconcerting. When I first got mine I was concerned and wondered if I made the right decision. But once your bag is loaded it’s less of an issue. The compression straps take up most slack.

I got the Styker XL as my daypack to allow me to pack quarters right away vs. head back to camp for a pack frame.

Note the pack isn’t very large. It’s fine a majority of the time, but when temps dip it suddenly fills instantly. That’s probably why Kifaru released the Hellbender…slightly more pack room. The Hellbender wasn’t available when I got my Styker XL. I’d probably go Hellbender if I did it again…maybe. I do like the full Cordura of the Styker XL and actually use the PALS webbing in my Styker sling, something I have come to appreciate for having portable waders, water filter, etc. in pockets without disturbing the main bag of day gear.

I’ve used the Styker XL for full camp with a separate bag in the sling. It’s very convenient to drop the bag and not repack day gear. I’ve since switched to the Fulcrum for my backpack hunts. It’s a fantastic bag which serves two purposes (full camp + day mode) extremely well! Plus it keeps your load where it should be vs. pushed out away from your back on the frame.

In my case I also almost always have a Sherman pocket attached when using my Stryker XL. That pocket run to the frame tab loops takes away the slop you’re rightfully concerned about. Some extra straps and/or K-clips will further eat up that slack.

Overall don’t worry about it. When you get loaded and cinched down it’s a nonissue. Again my comments are about the Styker XL; I have no personal experience with the Hellbender.

@Iltasyuko
As others have noted, the empty Stryker XL on frame can be a little disconcerting. When I first got mine I was concerned and wondered if I made the right decision. But once your bag is loaded it’s less of an issue. The compression straps take up most slack.

I got the Styker XL as my daypack to allow me to pack quarters right away vs. head back to camp for a pack frame.

Note the pack isn’t very large. It’s fine a majority of the time, but when temps dip it suddenly fills instantly. That’s probably why Kifaru released the Hellbender…slightly more pack room. The Hellbender wasn’t available when I got my Styker XL. I’d probably go Hellbender if I did it again…maybe. I do like the full Cordura of the Styker XL and actually use the PALS webbing in my Styker sling, something I have come to appreciate for having portable waders, water filter, etc. in pockets without disturbing the main bag of day gear.

I’ve used the Styker XL for full camp with a separate bag in the sling. It’s very convenient to drop the bag and not repack day gear. I’ve since switched to the Fulcrum for my backpack hunts. It’s a fantastic bag which serves two purposes (full camp + day mode) extremely well! Plus it keeps your load where it should be vs. pushed out away from your back on the frame.

In my case I also almost always have a Sherman pocket attached when using my Stryker XL. That pocket run to the frame tab loops takes away the slop you’re rightfully concerned about. Some extra straps and/or K-clips will further eat up that slack.

Overall don’t worry about it. When you get loaded and cinched down it’s a nonissue. Again my comments are about the Styker XL; I have no personal experience with the Hellbender.
I added a grab it to my Stryker xl for when the temps drop for packing extra clothes and it’s a handy accessory for that pack. I know many won’t do it because of the diaper look, but I don’t care what my pack looks like.

It made the Stryker xl more versatile

strongarm

FNG
@roosiebull yes, that’s how I find myself using the Sherman…an effective Grab-It. Continually shoving my puffy in/out between moving and sits.

Do people complain about the looks of the Grab-It? Ugh…form follows function, folks! I have one I use on another pack frequently and it’s pretty streamlined in addition to functional!

Citizen

FNG
Having both a Stryker XL and Hellbender I like both packs. The Stryker has a few tricks up its sleeve. The obvious size and bane pocket on the Hellbender. The Stryker rides quieter.

Bane pocket is amazing especially with a partner to grab stuff and stow stuff quickly on the move. Stryker has the frame slot for hidden stuff like a sheet of tyvek or other flat storable items.

If you pack for more like kids or wife the hellbender is probably the ticket.

I also forgot to add the Hellbender has urethane covered zippers. I actually do not like these, they take more effort to operate one handed and slightly make it less easy to use the zippers. I prefer the Stryker zippers.

Last edited:

highside74

Lil-Rokslider
I ordered a Hellbender a couple weeks ago thinking the complaints were user error. Well, after put it on my frame it is definitely sloppy and you will have to use the 2 included compression straps if you have nothing in the load shelf. The buckle system doesn't allow it to cinch down because the clapsed buckle is very large for that application. I think the side buckles could be half to 1/3 the size and still do the job.

TX_hunter

Lil-Rokslider
I thought it was floppy when I got the hellbender myself.

But after using it on a hunt I came to the conclusion it's a non issue. It seems floppy and strappy when completely empty, but get the bag even partially full and it's awesome. And the straps are just in the right places to cinch things down.

kowboy

FNG
Love my Hellbender. I use it all year during RUK hiking and keep it loaded (50lbs) and it's quiet and no slop obviously loaded but I never understood the complaint about it when it's not loaded??? Why would you be carrying a non-loaded pack...lol. I use the Sherman and the lid to keep the quick stuff available. Love the bane pocket on front for quick grab jackets. During RUK cycles I keep a camp bag filled on the meat shelf and hunting, (when I'm lucky,....meat). Love the bag for 2-3 day hunts.

Ehiggins

WKR
Not trying to derail but wanted to run this idea by the group.

Right now I’m using a woodsman and a guide lid for everything.

For 7 day+ hunts I pack 90% of my stuff in my dry bag on the load shelf with the food then pull that at camp and put the bag back together.

During the day it all compresses down really nice and I put a few things that aren’t needed (rain pants, trekking poles, kill kit) in the woodsman. Everything else goes in the guide lid. Tripod/glassing pad get strapped to the outside.

This setup works great except for 2 things.

1- taking everything apart to pack camp or meat is a pain with the woodsman load shelf design

2-it’s kind of a hassle to get to anything other than the items in the guide lid and to use the tripod/butt pad.

Will the hellbender be an improvement with this approach? Thinking the bane pocket and side pockets can handle butt pad and tripod then everything else goes in the main bag and is easily accessible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk