Kifaru Fit - Waist Belt

mcr-85

WKR
I have an older Kifaru Duplex frame. I am not sure which version it is but I know it is not the current model. I think I have it adjusted to where its supposed to be but when I tighten the waist belt, especially when there is a quite a bit of weight in the pack, my quads on my right leg go numb. Its obviously pinching something. Any suggestions? I am tempted to sell it and try a Stone Glacier or Exo K4 but not sure if I'd fight the same problem with either of those.

Marble

WKR
When I hit the 75ish pound weight in my pack, the same thing can happen. When it does, I just alternate putting more weight on my shoulders, then back to my hips.

I don't think it's going to hurt you at all. And FWIW, don't train too much with that weight. It's a good way to get injured.

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk

OP
mcr-85

mcr-85

WKR
When I hit the 75ish pound weight in my pack, the same thing can happen. When it does, I just alternate putting more weight on my shoulders, then back to my hips.

I don't think it's going to hurt you at all. And FWIW, don't train too much with that weight. It's a good way to get injured.

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk
I don't train...probably should but I just go hunt. I just hate the numb leg and didnt know if it was a pack fit issue or the frame not agreeing with me.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

JRay

Lil-Rokslider
I have the same issue and it’s asymmetrical. I assume it’s because the padding is so thin on their waist belt. My solution has been to start with the belt higher on my hips when carrying a large load because it will settle. And distribute a little more weight to my shoulders.

TheGDog

WKR
I have their EMR II. Their Lumbar pad is rather large, and for me, it exacerbates the bulging discs I have of 3mm down to 6mmm at the bottom. Also... more than likely one of your nerve trunk lines... as it exits the vertebrae and passes over/thru the vertebral facet joints....AND... where that same trunk line of nerve passes down to the sacro-iliac junction area and then turns inward towards the front of your body... THAT nerve is being compressed most likely.

For me.. if I were to attempt to sit on just the ground... I'd go numb all the way down to my foot. I know because it happened once, and I've never been without at least a Turkey-Hunter style supported back Seat-Cushion ever since, or even better sit options if I know exactly where I'm going to go and do my sit at.

For me and my issues... the Outdoorsman's Palisade pack helped A LOT at taming down the hobbling pain I'd have like in my right hip joint kinda area at end of day on the long hike back to the truck.

Try your best to sorta use the shoulder straps to help lift-up that ginormous pad higher up the spine on your body. Though I doubt you have much adjustment in that way on that Kifaru. Mine did not have very much adjustment in terms of lowering the shoulder straps with their velcro system in there. And there's only soo much you can tug on the strap adjustment up-front as per normal, before your Lat muscle on your back get in the way and it gets uncomfortable.

Typically I'll kind of adjust my left-shoulder front-strap a lil more tighter than my right, since I usually sling my rifle over my right... on the nubby the Palisade pack has on it's frame.

You may even consider un-stitching that very thick lumbar pad... removing it.... figure out how to trim it thinner perhaps? And sew it back in possibly?

OP
mcr-85

mcr-85

WKR
I believe a different sized waist belt will cure this, you might need a size larger.
Thanks for the tip but I think if I go larger, it will for sure not put any pressure on my hips as it won't go tight enough. I am at a medium but to get it tight it is bottomed out.

sr80

WKR
Thanks for the tip but I think if I go larger, it will for sure not put any pressure on my hips as it won't go tight enough. I am at a medium but to get it tight it is bottomed out.it sounds like your belt is too large then, size small would be worth trying.
If you're bottomed out, then your belt is too large, so a smaller size would be worth trying out.

OP
mcr-85

mcr-85

WKR
What did Kifaru say when you asked them about it?
I haven't asked them yet. I was just wondering if anyone else had the same issue with their leg going numb and if they had adjusted their pack a different way to fix it.

I will reach out to them and see what they say.

OP
mcr-85

mcr-85

WKR
Kifaru says that if I am experiencing numbness the belt is likely too low. I will see if I can get it higher and tighten it to see if that helps.

TheGDog

WKR
Oh yeah. It definitely needs to be grabbing onto the top of your iliac crests. If you let it ride down to that space in-between the iliac crest, and your hip joint... you'll experience debilitating pain/soreness by the time you're back at the truck.