Kifaru Dall Thoughts?

Drop_Tine

FNG
I'm in the market for a new pack. How is everyone liking the Dall? Also looking at the Barneys Hunter Frontier Pack.
I'm 6'8" so fit is important.

Thanks,

Drop_Tine

Reactions: HCT

bsnedeker

WKR
I love mine. It's a top load pack with bottle holders on the sides and a bladder sleeve. It's exactly what I like in a bag. If you want that type of bag you can't go wrong.

The bag has nothing to do with the fit... that all depends on how you size your frame.

Sent from my SM-G998U1 using Tapatalk

OP
D

Drop_Tine

FNG
Thanks for the feedback! I'm not a fan of the external load shelf, I'm assuming I could carry heavy loads (elk/moose quarters in the Dall pack with no issues?)

bsnedeker

WKR
Thanks for the feedback! I'm not a fan of the external load shelf, I'm assuming I could carry heavy loads (elk/moose quarters in the Dall pack with no issues?)
Yep, I packed out two elk with it last year, meat went right into the bag. I never mess with putting meat between the bag and frame.

OP
D

Drop_Tine

FNG
Yep, I packed out two elk with it last year, meat went right into the bag. I never mess with putting meat between the bag and frame.

How secure were the elk quarters in the bag? Were the outside 3 straps good enough for a tight fit inside?

bsnedeker

WKR
How secure were the elk quarters in the bag? Were the outside 3 straps good enough for a tight fit inside?
It is very secure. You can get the bag close to flat without anything in it, so with a load of meat you can cinch it down very tightly.

OP
D

Drop_Tine

FNG
That's good to hear! Lastly, how did the Xpac material perform? Bag stay dry for the most part? I'm thinking of going with the xpac guide lid.

(elk/moose quarters in the Dall pack with no issues?)
I don't have a Dall bag yet, but I really doubt a moose hind quarter will fit into it. Or into any bag for that matter. There's a reason that Barney's sells a meat shelf as an add on. Any bag that's wide enough for a moose hind would be annoyingly baggy while using it for anything else. Call Barneys and talk to them. They have Kifaru bags in stock as well to give you a legit answer to your questions. They truly do come from a very unbiased stance and will sell you the pack you need and not the one that makes them the most $$$.

OP
D

Drop_Tine

FNG
I don't have a Dall bag yet, but I really doubt a moose hind quarter will fit into it. Or into any bag for that matter. There's a reason that Barney's sells a meat shelf as an add on. Any bag that's wide enough for a moose hind would be annoyingly baggy while using it for anything else. Call Barneys and talk to them. They have Kifaru bags in stock as well to give you a legit answer to your questions. They truly do come from a very unbiased stance and will sell you the pack you need and not the one that makes them the most $$$.
Thanks for the tip!

bsnedeker

WKR
That's good to hear! Lastly, how did the Xpac material perform? Bag stay dry for the most part? I'm thinking of going with the xpac guide lid.
I didn't really deal with much rain last season honestly so I can't say. I wouldn't expect waterproofed, just water resistant.

Aluminum Rain

Lil-Rokslider
I packed 2 of my Newfoundland moose quarters out, one at a time, in a Kuiu 1850 ultra last fall using the load shelf. That is boned out quarters of course. No need to punish ones self carrying bones around. They wouldve easily fit in my Kifaru Ma Duece. So i think whichever pack you choose will be big enough. That said I think it pays to err on the large side.

OP
D

Drop_Tine

FNG
Had a great chat with Kevin at Barneys and I'm leaning toward their Yukon bag. Thanks for all the feedback!

Scotty82b

FNG
Had a great chat with Kevin at Barneys and I'm leaning toward their Yukon bag. Thanks for all the feedback!

care to elaborate on the conversation and why you are leaning towards the Barney. i’m also looking at these two.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I packed 2 of my Newfoundland moose quarters out, one at a time, in a Kuiu 1850 ultra last fall using the load shelf. That is boned out quarters of course. No need to punish ones self carrying bones around. They wouldve easily fit in my Kifaru Ma Duece. So i think whichever pack you choose will be big enough. That said I think it pays to err on the large side.
Ya, it's all about application and where the OP is hunting. Most units in Alaska don't allow us to debone moose so we're packing quarters whole.

OP
D

Drop_Tine

FNG
care to elaborate on the conversation and why you are leaning towards the Barney. i’m also looking at these two.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
First off, Kevin at Barneys was great to chat with, he made sure he knew what I was looking for and took time to go over the pack in detail. I like the extra long sleeve behind the 3 pockets on the side of Yukon bag. Can fit a rifle or tripod in there and it's nice and protected (not a fan of the shallow pockets on the sides of most packs with straps, can still bump a rifle scope into something). Also like the extra long pocket on the other side for a spotting scope.

The durability and layout appeal to me as well as the structure of the aluminum frame. I'm not too worried about the slight increased weight of the pack vs the Kifaru. The Dall is still a great looking pack, the barneys just ticks more boxes for me. Basically I can load it with a moose/elk quarter or whole mule deer and just go and not have to overthink it.

Drop_Tine

I didn't really deal with much rain last season honestly so I can't say. I wouldn't expect waterproofed, just water resistant.

You are spot on… I have it’s little bro (gnargali) and it’s better than all cordura, but will let water in… the nice thing about it is it doesn’t get 10lbs heavier when wet, and dries fast since it’s not all cordura

WKR
I'm 6'7" and find that the Kifaru lite pack frame with 26" stays is a good fit for my build. We've used a few different packs over the years and seem to always come back to Kifaru. For taller guys, may be worth checking out the 26" inch Kifaru frames.

walk2112

Lil-Rokslider
Can't agree more with this esp. in regards to Barney's. Honest, knowledgeable people and great to deal with every time.