Kifaru Bedlam Designing

Scotto

WKR
Appreciate the opportunity to weigh in. I love my Kifaru frames but not the bags so much for my needs. I have been using a bag from the competitor in Boise. I like the layout and bag access on their 1800 and 4800. This type of layout and access in the 2800-3200 ish size from Kifaru would be my vote.

prm

WKR
  • Full zip on side pocket
  • No PALs on grab-it thingy.. Adding an external pocket to that would be a recipe for floppy. And weight would be getting pretty far back.
  • Also, if it has a true meat shelf you should be able to organize gear inside main bag without having to stick pockets on the outside. In truth, I’ve never understood attaching a bunch of external pockets for organization and then having a few thousand sq/in of empty bag while hunting.
  • If you must…. Maybe PALs for a pocket at the top back of pack. Just above grab-it.
  • Internal pocket somewhere for quick access to important things that can’t get misplaced (ex: headlamp). In addition to chamber pocket that will likely not be accessed throughout hunt (wallet, keys, tags).
Let’s talk use case, because that drives everything. For me:
  • Up to 5-days cool to cold (CO 1st)
  • Pack in 3-6 miles, set up a camp, day hunt from camp.
  • Shoot elk or deer, pack out deboned meat.
  • I do not use a spotter (binos). So side pocket would be rain jacket, water purification, sitting pad, snacks, and any items I will likely access during day.
  • Main bag would be kill kit, puffy and maybe woobie or insulated bottoms if really cold and potential to sit for extended time.
In the past, in addition to Reckoning, Nomad II, and other brands, I’ve used a Stryker. The shelf was my volume area (meat or camp in a dry bag), while the main bag is for day hunt gear. This pack, assuming high 3k bag volume, allows for meat on shelf and camp in main bag to be hauled together with my old back being the limiting factor for weight. This requires a reasonably dialed in setup.

*Make it just big enough to support 3-5 days.
*Nothing floppy in day hunt mode.
*Make grab-it (or whatever is back there) removable. (Less is more to me).
*Straps to secure meat to frame don’t crush gear in pack (to me, that means separate compression straps).
*Ensure meat can be held high enough, while also allowing bulky, lighter loads to use all space between frame and bag.
*Meat shelf accessible with buckles. No threading of straps, fiddling with load lifters, etc.

I could spend hours thinking this through…

Last edited:

djlr55

WKR
1. Make the skeletonized Sherman idea tuckable like the Eastern Ruck. Could also have rifle/bow retention pocket when flipped down. When tucked it would reveal pals matrix on the pack to make dual pockets like the timberline series. This could also have zippers that would give side gussets to create a bucket type feature for securely stashing or left unzippered for larger or odd shaped objects that protrude.

2. Side pockets - Could be a hybrid of 4 way stretch material and cordura. Non zippered could have tuckable stretch lid to cover the open pocket on one side. If zippered, unzippered outside part can be folded down into the pocket itself for quick access to a nalgene or gear stashed in the open style pockets.

Last edited:

Dwight2180

Lil-Rokslider
I don't use a tripod or spotter which puts me in the minority of wanting tall nalgene pockets. But let's be honest, I've already decided I'm buying it regardless 🤪 the bag capacity is the clincher. The zipper up to the collar sounds pretty nice. I do like a mesh pouch inside somewhere, just don't over do it.

renagde

WKR
I don't use a tripod or spotter which puts me in the minority of wanting tall nalgene pockets. But let's be honest, I've already decided I'm buying it regardless 🤪 the bag capacity is the clincher. The zipper up to the collar sounds pretty nice. I do like a mesh pouch inside somewhere, just don't over do it.
Agreed. After running the hardside hydration system I don’t want anything to do with a hydration sleeve anymore. Give me the stretch pockets!

blue62

FNG
I have owned the Stryker XL, Hellbender, and 22 mag. I am in the market for a bigger pack.

My thoughts on buying a bigger pack.....the larger it gets, the more simplistic I want it to be. It will already have more fabric and weigh more. I like the stash pocket on the hellbender, but if I was going with a bigger pack I would rather customize that extra storage/weight with exactly what I want for the hunt (sherman, small/med/large pockets, etc.). I would ditch the stash/grab it pocket or at least make it something that you can remove or fold away. You keep saying "mini hoodlum", and exactly that would be my favorite setup I feel.

I do love that you are letting us have our input, thank you!

wyodan

WKR
I am also of the opinion to make it like the Timberline series. I would like to see a slot pocket at the bottom sides for my trekking poles.

LoggerDan

WKR
No more! Instead, streamline and improve what you have.
Quit discontinueing models only to come out with new models that you’ll discontinue. Stick with one fabric color.
figure out a way around asking 300 dollars for a non hunting backpack. I’m pretty brand loyal, but enough is enough.

No more! Instead, streamline and improve what you have.
Quit discontinueing models only to come out with new models that you’ll discontinue. Stick with one fabric color.
figure out a way around asking 300 dollars for a non hunting backpack. I’m pretty brand loyal, but enough is enough.
On that last point, everyone always points to the obvious--American made, American materials--but there is a LOT of said American labor that goes into making any of the Kifaru packs. Something to keep in mind.