KIFARU ARK FRAME review

wowzers

Lil-Rokslider
I think they are a pretty rock solid company. I’ve got shelters, pouches etc from them I’m still running ten years later. My long hunter is still completely functional and I’m planning on passing it down to one of my kids eventually. In fact I packed a bull out last year with one of the trips being 128lbs of meat plus some gear.

45E7A6A0-D7D4-4344-9CAC-009E2D390504.jpeg

Not to pick nits, but I started out on the old Kifaru forum, and really enjoyed Aaron’s reviews when he first started working for Kifaru and him and others not holding back. This review reads more like an advertisement than a review/critique. Was there really nothing he didn’t like about the product? Also after reading it, which came out after I purchased, his frame was different than what they are selling. What/why changed between last fall and a few weeks ago?

I haven’t bought anything from Kifaru in probably a decade, because I didn’t need to. Which I think is a testament. I could easily keep hunting with my current pack but my hunting style has changed and I’m to the point I’d like to upgrade to reap some of the new features in the last twenty years since Patrick released my current pack.

Personally if Aaron or whoever says the issues I’ve pointed out are not issues and they will stand behind the product down the road, good to go, they’ve earned it from my perspective. I’m buying this frame/pack to last another decade plus. Part of me did think though at this price point the thing should be flawless. Folks would be squalling like mashed cats if their Rok stock showed up with chips out of it.

Customer service wise they have been great and answered every email I’ve sent in a day or less and I’ve sent a bunch leading up to this purchase.

OP
Tony Trietch

Tony Trietch

Part Time Bow Hiker
Staff member
I got mine yesterday. I’m writing this from the perspective of using the same Kifaru pack for the last 14ish years. Out the gate the frame sheet I got looks different than the picture that Tony posted in the beginning. In his picture the frame sheet looks like what you think of carbon fiber looking like and mine looks just like the one on the website. Not sure it makes any difference and I don’t really care about it looking like a Honda civic hood if it performs the same but they do appear different.

The one concern I have is the texture of the frame sheet. It feels about like 3000 grit wet/dry sandpaper. Just from it getting to me in the shipping box you can see where the shoulder straps rubbed on the frame. Unless that texture wears off I would think it’s going to cause abrasion issues over hundreds or thousands of miles especially on the back of the bag.

View attachment 681415

Another thing I noticed right out of the box was my frame has several nicks around the slots in the frame and one spot that has several scrapes or gouges in it.
View attachment 681420

View attachment 681424

I know squat about how you make carbon fiber stuff so maybe it happens when they pull it out of the mold or something. If it’s just from assembling it at the factory I have some concerns about how longevity as I plan to use it for the next decade and half like my last one. If it doesn’t effect the strength of the frame then I don’t really care.

The shoulder straps and waist belt definitely feel better than my old one. Lumbar is a little pronounced but I’m guessing I need to get some time under weight to break it in.
The frame sheet I provided pics of in the review is a prototype. The production version got a different coating over it.
I would email them these pics to see if those marks on the frame are trouble or not a big deal. I can understand being disappointed that your new frame looks beat up.

OP
Tony Trietch

Tony Trietch

Part Time Bow Hiker
Staff member
I think they are a pretty rock solid company. I’ve got shelters, pouches etc from them I’m still running ten years later. My long hunter is still completely functional and I’m planning on passing it down to one of my kids eventually. In fact I packed a bull out last year with one of the trips being 128lbs of meat plus some gear.

View attachment 681891

Not to pick nits, but I started out on the old Kifaru forum, and really enjoyed Aaron’s reviews when he first started working for Kifaru and him and others not holding back. This review reads more like an advertisement than a review/critique. Was there really nothing he didn’t like about the product? Also after reading it, which came out after I purchased, his frame was different than what they are selling. What/why changed between last fall and a few weeks ago?

I haven’t bought anything from Kifaru in probably a decade, because I didn’t need to. Which I think is a testament. I could easily keep hunting with my current pack but my hunting style has changed and I’m to the point I’d like to upgrade to reap some of the new features in the last twenty years since Patrick released my current pack.

Personally if Aaron or whoever says the issues I’ve pointed out are not issues and they will stand behind the product down the road, good to go, they’ve earned it from my perspective. I’m buying this frame/pack to last another decade plus. Part of me did think though at this price point the thing should be flawless. Folks would be squalling like mashed cats if their Rok stock showed up with chips out of it.

Customer service wise they have been great and answered every email I’ve sent in a day or less and I’ve sent a bunch leading up to this purchase.
Yes, there was nothing I did not like about the new frame.

Jdmt

FNG
Long time lurker here that just got my ARK frame last week. Great looking piece of equipment. I haven't used it yet because I'm waiting to see if there's new larger bags to match it with. However, I looked it over and don't see any gouge marks. Also no wear on the strap fabric from the frame. I got a 25" with a large belt. One interesting thing to note is the belt has a nice big patch of molle on each side. It has six slots going horizontally and five vertically.

Long time lurker here that just got my ARK frame last week. Great looking piece of equipment. I haven't used it yet because I'm waiting to see if there's new larger bags to match it with. However, I looked it over and don't see any gouge marks. Also no wear on the strap fabric from the frame. I got a 25" with a large belt. One interesting thing to note is the belt has a nice big patch of molle on each side. It has six slots going horizontally and five vertically.

Welcome to the slide.

Doesnt look like you should hold your breath. But...Bedlam. I think the case can be made to have a Stryker Xl or Hellbender, and a longer 5+ day bag to interchange. Ive done 7+ days in the Hoodlum, 44 Mag and Bedlam. The Hoodlum I had 2 med and a large belt pouch. The 44 I had a med and large belt pouch and a claymore as a lid, and the Bedlam 2 mediums and a exo k4 lid. I prefer the Bedlam and its not close. I only bowhunt, so early vs late season would be a factor.

Attachments

• IMG_4695.jpeg
    IMG_4695.jpeg
    95.1 KB · Views: 48
Last edited:

Jdmt

FNG
Thanks. Looks like a Bedlam is in my future. I seem to recall mention of a bigger Bedlam planned. Maybe next year.

MNnice32

FNG
Was able to get out for a 5 mile test hike today with the frame. Super comfortable, didn't get any sort of hot spots or pinch points. Being my first kifaru set up I wasn't sure what to expect but it was very comfortable. The lumbar pad was a bit stiff at the beginning but seemed to loosen up and felt great at the end of the hike. When hiking uphill and looking up I did hit the frame with my head a bit but nothing terrible. Adjusting the shoulder straps was a breeze in the field. Total pack weight was 28lbs with the frame, hoodlum with a medium and large belt pouch, nalgene pouch and small pouch on the belt and a bunch of random stuff in the pack to just add some weight. The nalgene on the belt didn't get in the way when I put it all the way back. I feel like 1 more column of molle would be better but a large belt might be too big. I have the medium belt and I'm a 38in waist and when I tighten down the belt I have approximately 2 inches left before it's fully cinched down. Just need some more miles and get everything dialed in.

I also have an email to customer service about the nicks in the frame. Hopefully just cosmetic and nothing to worry about.

Mine will be to me Wednesday. We all know Kifaru staff is on Rokslide. I would think they would address these concerns on here instead of everyone emailing them.

prm

WKR
3/3: Did a little longer hike today. More elevation change for sure. About half way through I noticed the reference tri-glides were higher up my shoulder than recommended in the fitting video. I stopped and adjusted where the harness attaches to the frame by moving it up one slot. I was pleasantly surprised at the difference in feel. It wasn’t bad before, but certainly better after. I will try one more slot up to make sure I bound the range. I also had the EXO Nalgene holder on the belt and some water. That worked very well. I ordered a Kifaru nalgene holder a week or so ago, I don’t have it yet but not sure if I’ll use it now. Even with the Exo there are only three columns of molle remaining. Not much I can do with that. I think the mini pouch would fit. At $50 I’m not feeling the need. The Exo belt pouch on the right is really low profile and out of the way better than I anticipated.
On the steep climb that ends this route the shoulder straps were not holding any weight and the belt was not moving. It’s a good feeling when the shoulders are moving freely under the straps and all the weight is on the belt. That’s with about 40#. Next, I’ll double the weight and see how they feel.
Not Ark specific, but rather than starting another thread I’ll leave this here. Still fiddling with the attachment straps for the Stryker XL. I do wish they had a system that was shorter buckle to buckle once tightened all the way down. I think I have it tolerably tight when empty now, but just barely. I added a hook between the handle and the loop at the top of the frame. I do really like having my day hunt gear in the pack accessible without having to undo straps/lids or whatever. This bag gets an A+ for ease of use. In the past I’ve been able to make a Stryker work for 5 days of Mid-October hunting. If anything I think I’ve trimmed my gear so I don’t anticipate any issue, but I do need to load it up. I have a 51L (~3100CI) dry bag that weighs 3.6oz. Tent, sleeping bag, pad, Ti pot and stove, and food go in there. The rest, which is for day hunting stays in main bag.
The location of the Stryker cross straps dictates what’s left for compression straps. One remaining location will be perfect, the other seems like it will be either a little higher or the other a little lower than optimal. At first I thought this might be an issue. But given how well the Stryker straps alone are holding a 40# sand bag I’m not concerned about stabilizing meat now.
I’m quite happy with the frame, belt, and shoulder straps so far. More weight, more miles to be certain.

wowzers

Lil-Rokslider
PRM, what are you doing with the dry bag after you get meat? Are you able to sandwich the camp bag and meat? I’m on the fence between getting a Bedlum or Hellbender.

prm

WKR
PRM, what are you doing with the dry bag after you get meat? Are you able to sandwich the camp bag and meat? I’m on the fence between getting a Bedlum or Hellbender.
I do not plan to haul camp, day hunt gear, and too much meat. The dry bag is left at my tent while hunting. A bigger pack bag would be better suited to hauling meat and camp. I’ve learned my knees and hips are of the age that getting too heavy on longer hauls out of the mountains can cause issues.

Everything for a 5 day cold weather hunt fills it up as I have it. With some creativity meat could be hauled by strapping meat to frame with a few other items as space allows and moving lighter camp stuff to the pack bag or strapped to bottom or back. I was able to pack out a deboned bull and camp in three trips that were 5+ miles each way and included a very steep climb/descent. That had a little little mixing of meat and gear. Different bag, but
same concept.

edit: after thinking more about this, the choice of campbag really makes the pack just about whatever size you want. The Hellbender would add a little space and then a larger campbag, say 4000CI could be used if thats what you wanted. You could put whatever you wanted in there. I suppose there is a limit as to how large a bag that space will support, but its pretty decent sized. The Campbag functions pretty much like any large bag pack, except that you can remove it when you don’t need it. I do not know how the Bedlam extends from the frame so can’t speak to whether that would work as well.

Last edited:

wowzers

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks prm. I thought I was locked down on the Bedlam but now I’m going to have to rethink. The Bedlam is about 1000cui bigger than I would ideally like but it would probably cover 100% of my bases.

Kifaru got back to me this morning and said it would not effect the integrity of the frame so I’m rolling with it. Looking forward to breaking it in this season.

prm

WKR
Thanks prm. I thought I was locked down on the Bedlam but now I’m going to have to rethink. The Bedlam is about 1000cui bigger than I would ideally like but it would probably cover 100% of my bases.

Kifaru got back to me this morning and said it would not effect the integrity of the frame so I’m rolling with it. Looking forward to breaking it in this season.
Good to hear they think the frame is solid.

If the Bedlam is the style of pack you are used to, it may be the better choice for you. The Stryker is definitely different and while it is absolutely what I prefer I know others who prefer the large bag style packs. Either will do the job, whichever loads and transitions between packing in, day hunting, and packing meat out in a way that you are most comfortable is the right one. One thing to add, I occasionally have family with horses on our elk hunting trips. If they happen to have space in a pannier I simply pull out the camp bag and it goes on a horse. Everything I want with me for the hike in remains in the Stryker bag as if I were day hunting. No repacking or wondering if I am missing something. That is a great thing about the Ark frame, or Kifaru packs in general, you have a great foundation and then you choose a bag that meets your needs and fits your style. Other companies packs/frame drive you to a greater degree to use the pack the way they intended.

I got mine yesterday. I’m writing this from the perspective of using the same Kifaru pack for the last 14ish years. Out the gate the frame sheet I got looks different than the picture that Tony posted in the beginning. In his picture the frame sheet looks like what you think of carbon fiber looking like and mine looks just like the one on the website. Not sure it makes any difference and I don’t really care about it looking like a Honda civic hood if it performs the same but they do appear different.

The one concern I have is the texture of the frame sheet. It feels about like 3000 grit wet/dry sandpaper. Just from it getting to me in the shipping box you can see where the shoulder straps rubbed on the frame. Unless that texture wears off I would think it’s going to cause abrasion issues over hundreds or thousands of miles especially on the back of the bag.

View attachment 681415

Another thing I noticed right out of the box was my frame has several nicks around the slots in the frame and one spot that has several scrapes or gouges in it.
View attachment 681420

View attachment 681424

I know squat about how you make carbon fiber stuff so maybe it happens when they pull it out of the mold or something. If it’s just from assembling it at the factory I have some concerns about how longevity as I plan to use it for the next decade and half like my last one. If it doesn’t effect the strength of the frame then I don’t really care.

The shoulder straps and waist belt definitely feel better than my old one. Lumbar is a little pronounced but I’m guessing I need to get some time under weight to break it in.
That's pretty bad quality control for a $500 dollar frame IMO. I'd personally ask for a replacement but it sounds like others also got frames like that so who knows if you'd just get another one like it. It would be good for us and good for kifaru if they'd make a post in this thread specifically addressing it and publicly standing behind it not being an issue for the integrity of the frame, if they believe it's not an issue.

I got my frame today and it's nearly pristine. It has one tiny mark in the same spot as the promo photo on Kifaru's website. Zero complaints with the frame so far.

I'm preparing for a spring bear hunt in Idaho and need to choose a frame/bag. Perfect excuse to test gear while training for the hunt.

MNnice32

FNG
Customer service was able to get back to my email on the nicks in my frame. They showed the pictures to their designer and they said that it won't mess with the integrity of the frame. In the finish process with carbon it will have minor nicks. The person I spoke to said their frame had similar nicks and they haven't had any crack any further but told me to reach out if I did. I attached a few pictures of the nicks I had in mine for reference for anyone else.

Attachments

• 20240302_103013.jpg
    20240302_103013.jpg
    343.5 KB · Views: 127
  • 20240302_102159.jpg
    20240302_102159.jpg
    397.9 KB · Views: 126
  • 20240302_102913.jpg
    20240302_102913.jpg
    265.2 KB · Views: 127

as.ks.ak

WKR
Customer service was able to get back to my email on the nicks in my frame. They showed the pictures to their designer and they said that it won't mess with the integrity of the frame. In the finish process with carbon it will have minor nicks. The person I spoke to said their frame had similar nicks and they haven't had any crack any further but told me to reach out if I did. I attached a few pictures of the nicks I had in mine for reference for anyone else.

That’s just the new kifaru quality control standard.

Man, I dont know. Those first 2 pictures are in places that I can see not being too much of an issue. The last picture shows a small vertical crack/missing piece of material in a high pressure cross section thats going to be weaker because of it - granted the thickness and material of the frame may make it a non issue, 'weaker' is a relative term if its still strong enough. Almost like scoring material to break it, it creates weakness across the vertical line. Again, could very well be a non issue, id keep your CS communications saved though. Its in a similar area to the 3rd pic in wowzers post #113 as well.

Last edited:

MNnice32

FNG
Man, I dont know. Those first 2 pictures are in places that I can see not being too much of an issue. The last picture shows a small vertical crack/missing piece of material in a high pressure cross section thats going to be weaker because of it - granted the thickness and material of the frame may make it a non issue, 'weaker' is a relative term if its still strong enough. Almost like scoring material to break it, it creates weakness across the vertical line. Again, could very well be a non issue, id keep your CS communications saved though. Its in a similar area to the 3rd pic in wowzers post #113 as well.
Yeah I mean with them saying it's not structural and just part of the process I will just keep an eye on it to make sure it doesn't get worse and keep the email just in case. Overall really happy with the frame so far. I know I always look to forums for reviews so wanted to do my part and provide any insight I could!