Kennel Cough Prior To 6 Day Hunt

Anyone with experience here?

Our two pups (3.5 and 1.5) have kennel cough and we plan to leave for Montana September 9.

We had them at training August 5-26 and after picking them up on Friday, could tell something was a little off. Mild symptoms for the older male and very minor for the female. Had them to the vet Saturday and started rest, lots of water, and meds Saturday night.

All was well and the younger pup is almost 100% with no symptoms and the older male is about 80%. That being said, he threw up for the first time today (side effect of meds), but he did it 4 times. We are going to take him back in tomorrow to get the diagnosing vets opinion.

Initially, she said, “Them being sick won’t impact your trip or their stamina, so have at it.” My concern is running them 8-12 miles a day for 6 days in a row two weeks after being diagnosed.

Does anyone have experience/input with running their dogs shortly after recovering from KC or other respiratory issues?

a7e68470dcc0191717e090aa45638e38.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kickemall

WKR
I've had and seen hounds run with, and shortly after, having kennel cough. While it's not ideal it really didn't seem to affect them. My only concern would be spreading it to other dogs but your vet could answer that.

OP
DmrbigEshotT
That’s been the biggest “warning” from the two vets we talked to - very contagious. That won’t be a problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk