Kelty Kid Backpack Carrier

trk3263

WKR
Today I took the kids out for a hike while mom is away and the snow has melted. I carried my two year old in the Kelty Backpack that I use to carry my oldest in and man does that frame suck now that I have a Bikini frame. Anyway any chance anyone has figured out a good comfortable (for both me and the little one) way to convert a Kelty Kid's pack to use a different frame? I think it may be doable but I need to mess with it a little more.

No but I would be interested to know. The Kelty kids carriers do have there limits. I need one for my twin boys that carries two!

My bikini arrives this week and it was one of the things at the top of my list to figure out. If anyone has done it, I would love to see pictures.

OP
trk3263

trk3263

WKR
I carried my oldest in mine until she was like 4, only after she was so tired she couldn't hike anymore. I was looking at it and I think it is duable probably even more doable with the Duplex. I think once I get a chance to take it to a friends house who has industrial sewing machines I might get it figured out. I am really hoping someone on here has already figured it out though before I tear apart the pack.

OP
trk3263

trk3263

WKR
The other thought I have considered was using my Grab-it and frame to put her in but I am not sure how well it would work or comfortable it would be.

chopchop

FNG
No but I would be interested to know. The Kelty kids carriers do have there limits. I need one for my twin boys that carries two!

I can fit both of my almost 3yr old twins in my mmr. They love it, but it's hard to cinch down the lid! lol

I carried my oldest in mine until she was like 4, only after she was so tired she couldn't hike anymore. I was looking at it and I think it is duable probably even more doable with the Duplex. I think once I get a chance to take it to a friends house who has industrial sewing machines I might get it figured out. I am really hoping someone on here has already figured it out though before I tear apart the pack.

Check out this thread over on kifaruforums: http://www.kifaruforums.net/showthread.php?t=31290&. A guy rigged a kelty carrier with a duplex with good results.

dotman

WKR
[QUOTin the notary trk3263;182624]Today I took the kids out for a hike while mom is away and the snow has melted. I carried my two year old in the Kelty Backpack that I use to carry my oldest in and man does that frame suck now that I have a Bikini frame. Anyway any chance anyone has figured out a good comfortable (for both me and the little one) way to convert a Kelty Kid's pack to use a different frame? I think it may be doable but I need to mess with it a little more.[/QUOTE]

look in the kifaru forum archives, a guy did it with his duplex frame and a cargo panel I believe.

OP
trk3263

trk3263

WKR
Thanks dotman Chopchop posted the link to the thread above it is exactly what I was looking for and hopefully will have some time tonight to try it out.

OP
trk3263

trk3263

WKR
This Kifaru Frame was made to carry the Kelty Kids

Here is what I didCut two slits to remove the slide on the shoulder strap
IMG_2899.jpg
Below is the slide I removed which is on the back of the Shoulder Harness
IMG_2901.jpg
I then took the stiching out around the waist belt
IMG_2903.jpg
I laced the top connections on my Bikini Frame through the existing connectors on the Kelty
IMG_2905.jpg
I actually had to pull the Load lifter connection off the other strap to feed it through and then reconnect it. I might eventually put a larger connection on the Kelty so I can feed it through without separating the straps which are removable from Kifaru.

Last edited:
OP
trk3263

trk3263

WKR
Straps separated to feed through
IMG_2909.jpg
IMG_2908.jpg
I connected the two compression strapes to the frame to secure the Kelty to the Bikini
IMG_2911.jpg
I attached the Kelty Stand webbing to the Waistbelt which works pretty nice because when I unhook my Waistbelt buckle it give slack which opens the stand on the Kelty. (Didn't realize it would work this way but was happy when it did.)
IMG_2913.jpg
I originally forgot to put the Grab it on and walked around the block to the mailbox to grab my FHF Bino Harness with the little one in the carrier. I had no issues with the top connection and the two compression traps but I added the Grab-it for piece of mind and for a place to throw jackets when the older kid gets hot and I get stuck carrying it.
IMG_2927.jpg

Overall this frame seems like it was built for the Kelty to hook right up to it. It ride great and had no issues with the little one inside and feels great compared to the old Kelty waistbelt and shoulderstraps. Let me know if you need any other pictures.

Last edited:
OP
trk3263

trk3263

WKR
OK looks like I got the photos fixed. I think when I click the attach button more then once I mess it up.

chopchop

FNG
Same here and a 2.5 year old... I figure I will just pick my favorite.. :)

There you go!

I've got an another as well. We gave away the carrier when the twins were born, but they're getting big enough now that we might be able to get everyone out this summer. I'm going to keep an eye on the garage sales, newspaper, etc. and see what I come up with.