Keeping Meat good During September Archery Elk Hunt

I have been hunting deer for a long time am very comfortable getting a deer out by myself, but this will be my first-year hunting elk and I am planning on going out for the archery season this September.

I typically hunt by myself and like to get far away from people but if I get something I want to make sure I can get everything out by myself.

I'm curious how much time I have until the meat spoils? I plan on quartering it out as soon as possible and hanging the meat in the shade or near a creek if I can while I make trips back and forth to the truck.

Any other advice for keeping meat good in September is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Last edited:

Geewhiz

WKR
It greatly depends on the weather. In cooler weather you could let it hang almost indefinitely, if its warm though you'd better have a plan.

Edit: To add to my previous comment. Basically as soon as I kill an elk I go balls to the walls regardless of the weather until I get the thing out of the hills and into a cooler.

Last edited:
Get it out of the woods and back to camp as soon as you can. The longer you leave it in the woods the more chance you have of a bear or birds getting into it.

I take a 120 quart cooler packed with ice onto the mountain and I leave meat hang overnight and then put it in the cooler the next day.

EDIT: I should note that I typically just leave my meat in the bag, pack ice all around it and then just pull the drain plug and put a rock under the cooler to make sure it drains.

Last edited:
OP
W
It greatly depends on the weather. In cooler weather you could let it hang almost indefinitely, if its warm though you'd better have a plan.

Edit: To add to my previous comment. Basically as soon as I kill an elk I go balls to the walls regardless of the weather until I get the thing out of the hills and into a cooler.
Makes sense. I keep a 120qt cooler in my truck loaded with ice during archery deer hunts and plan on doing the same for elk. How many trips does it usually take you to get an elk out? Figured I would likely bone it out depending on how far away the truck is.

OP
W
Get it out of the woods and back to camp as soon as you can. The longer you leave it in the woods the more chance you have of a bear or birds getting into it.

I take a 120 quart cooler packed with ice onto the mountain and I leave meat hang overnight and then put it in the cooler the next day.

EDIT: I should note that I typically just leave my meat in the bag, pack ice all around it and then just pull the drain plug and put a rock under the cooler to make sure it drains.
Thanks! Ya I was thinking I would leave my 120 Qt cooler in the truck and was curious about how many trips it usually takes so I can estimate time.

Geewhiz

WKR
How many trips does it usually take you to get an elk out?
A huge factor is the size of the animal. A mature large bodied bull can be hundreds of lbs heavier than a younger bull. I bank on at least 3 trips to get out a bull/weapon/day hunting gear(could easily be made into 4 or more) + another trip for camp. This last year I killed a younger 6 pt with a average to less than average body size for my area. Took 3 heavy and I mean very heavy trips to get out the bone in meat + skinned out head + day hunt gear/weapon. Add a trip if you want to bring out the cape. Add a trip for camp.

OP
W
A huge factor is the size of the animal. A mature large bodied bull can be hundreds of lbs heavier than a younger bull. I bank on at least 3 trips to get out a bull/weapon/day hunting gear(could easily be made into 4 or more) + another trip for camp. This last year I killed a younger 6 pt with a average to less than average body size for my area. Took 3 heavy and I mean very heavy trips to get out the bone in meat + skinned out head + day hunt gear/weapon. Add a trip if you want to bring out the cape. Add a trip for camp.
Thanks! That really good information.

1. Don’t kill one where you’re not willing to make 5 trips into in the next 18 hours. So don’t get greedy….
2. Have plan A,B,C, if you can’t make plan A happen don’t be running to service to ask for help or post on Facebook for help.
3. If you ever think you will need an outfitter to pack out ur meat, make the calls now and get on their radar, don’t make ur emergency their emergency
4. Antlers and hide come out last, if ur more worried about getting those off the mountain before ur meat, don’t buy the tag and re assess why you’re hunting.
5. Be smart, know ur limits and stick to them, guys that push a little harder than they should have are the ones that get themselves into trouble
6. Proper game bags ur meat may not spoil but maggots will destroy it
7. Learn to bone out the meat, bones hold a lot of heat and if you have to leave it those bones will spoil meat around them
8. Take the last deer you harvested and triple the size that’s what ur gonna be dealing with,
9. If you kill one and “have to go back to the truck or camp first” take meat with you empty ur pack and get to work. Ur gear can be stored for days, that meat can’t.
10. Plan for worst case scenario, every shot opportunity your first thought should be how am I going to get this animal out, and what if this shot isn’t perfect and it ends up in the next drainage can you make that hike?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stave

Lil-Rokslider
Please elaborate on proper game bags? I've been using a couple varieties but it has been cool and flies haven't been much of an issue

Please elaborate on proper game bags? I've been using a couple varieties but it has been cool and flies haven't been much of an issue

Tight mesh bags, not the Walmart cheese cloth style, drawstring at the top, personally I carry Argali and have had great results, they breath to allow air flow to cool meat, are durable and flies can’t lay eggs through them.

Read1t48

WKR
All great advice. Take advantage of windy ridges, creek bottoms, and culverts. If doing any preseason scouting, especially in new areas, I will constantly be on the lookout for meat drop spots. Creeks, cool bottoms, etc. it’s amazing how much lower the temp can be in these areas. Windy ridges, even in early September, can get very cool at night even when day temps are in the high 80’s.

I like to leap frog meat to these areas. I like to keep the quarters in different spots to minimize predators finding them.

If doing gutless, I always take the meat and horns away from the kill site and I open the guts and pop them when I leave the site. Predators like the organs and guts over muscle meat. I just assume they find the carcass first.

Hide also holds in a lot heat. Get the hide off. Get the hind quarters off first. They will cool quick and allow the carcass to cool quicker as you process.

Use OnX “radius”‘tool to set your hunt boundary so you don’t go deeper than you should. And use your maps to identify best path out.

OP
W
1. Don’t kill one where you’re not willing to make 5 trips into in the next 18 hours. So don’t get greedy….
2. Have plan A,B,C, if you can’t make plan A happen don’t be running to service to ask for help or post on Facebook for help.
3. If you ever think you will need an outfitter to pack out ur meat, make the calls now and get on their radar, don’t make ur emergency their emergency
4. Antlers and hide come out last, if ur more worried about getting those off the mountain before ur meat, don’t buy the tag and re assess why you’re hunting.
5. Be smart, know ur limits and stick to them, guys that push a little harder than they should have are the ones that get themselves into trouble
7. Learn to bone out the meat, bones hold a lot of heat and if you have to leave it those bones will spoil meat around them
8. Take the last deer you harvested and triple the size that’s what ur gonna be dealing with,
9. If you kill one and “have to go back to the truck or camp first” take meat with you empty ur pack and get to work. Ur gear can be stored for days, that meat can’t.
10. Plan for worst case scenario, every shot opportunity your first thought should be how am I going to get this animal out, and what if this shot isn’t perfect and it ends up in the next drainage can you make that hike?

Thanks for the advice. This is great information. My sister-in-law has horses I could use as long as I take something locally. Just need to learn how to ride and pack first...

OP
W
All great advice. Take advantage of windy ridges, creek bottoms, and culverts. If doing any preseason scouting, especially in new areas, I will constantly be on the lookout for meat drop spots. Creeks, cool bottoms, etc. it’s amazing how much lower the temp can be in these areas. Windy ridges, even in early September, can get very cool at night even when day temps are in the high 80’s.

I like to leap frog meat to these areas. I like to keep the quarters in different spots to minimize predators finding them.

If doing gutless, I always take the meat and horns away from the kill site and I open the guts and pop them when I leave the site. Predators like the organs and guts over muscle meat. I just assume they find the carcass first.

Hide also holds in a lot heat. Get the hide off. Get the hind quarters off first. They will cool quick and allow the carcass to cool quicker as you process.

Use OnX “radius”‘tool to set your hunt boundary so you don’t go deeper than you should. And use your maps to identify best path out.
Thanks for the advice. I always do the gutless method unless I get something close to the truck, which is pretty rare. Good point on popping the guts open as a decoy and getting the meat far away from the carcass.

Jethro

WKR
Another thing to add to the list is SHADE. We've all experienced hot in the Sun, chilly in the shade. Shade is your meats friend.

Slick8

Lil-Rokslider

Some great replies but this one really nails it.

I'd ask what your general physical ablities are from a core strength and cardio standpoint.
If you're honest with yourself and use the above as a guideline it will greatly help you as to planning your hunt. Being solo, you must plan for the ability to get the animal out in a timely manner. Considerations are day and night temps, total distance from camp, distance off trail and how far down in the canyon you have to go. I find the last to be a real determining factor as off trail and deep canyons are a time killer.

I've only taken 2 public land elk and at 54 know enough to know I wouldn't go more than a mile or two from camp due to the pack out. That's a rifle season hunt for me where temps aren't near the concern of bow season.

OP
W
Some great replies but this one really nails it.

I'd ask what your general physical ablities are from a core strength and cardio standpoint.
If you're honest with yourself and use the above as a guideline it will greatly help you as to planning your hunt. Being solo, you must plan for the ability to get the animal out in a timely manner. Considerations are day and night temps, total distance from camp, distance off trail and how far down in the canyon you have to go. I find the last to be a real determining factor as off trail and deep canyons are a time killer.

I've only taken 2 public land elk and at 54 know enough to know I wouldn't go more than a mile or two from camp due to the pack out. That's a rifle season hunt for me where temps aren't near the concern of bow season.
I agree, that reply really nails it. I am 32 and am active all year, plus I do a lot of hiking and backpacking in the summer, so I go into hunting season in really good shape. I am going to give myself a mile and a half limit and limit my archery range to 40 yards so I can reduce my chances of wounding an elk. All this information has been really helpful. I want to do everything possible to ensure I don't waste any meat.

chindits

WKR
Just don’t give up and don’t loose your mind. You can manage most any situation you are willing to commit to.

2021 right before ML opened I put a bull down and it was the hottest harvest I ever dealt with. I worked 24 hours to break down and get that bull to a creek one ridge away from camp. The next few hours I spent getting what water proof bags I had and that meat went into the creek. Phase one done, meat off the kill site and in the coolest place possible. If it wasn’t so hot and all beetle kill country some shady dark timber would have done just as well.

Nap time, it’s not a race and you got to think sustainable operations.

The next night I got it over to the next drainage in the creek next to my camp. It’s cool at night even with a heat wave, goes easier on an old body and doesn’t hurt the meat. At that point I had a trail to take me back to my truck on the other side of the divide. No worries and no rush. Some days I packed two loads and some days I packed one. It’s just a mind game. You’re not going to get away from it sucking but you don’t have to destroy yourself to get it done. Just do it in phases and use your head unless you’re young and proud and then you can double your loads and think you’re doing your body good. I never carried a load heavier than a single rear quarter. I didn’t lose any meat. My ice is all frozen quart juice bottles in one cooler. I still had plenty of ice and it was at that point a 10 day hunt.

By habit I always get the meat off the kill site as others mentioned. You don’t have to make your first cache that far away, maybe the first creek or ridge. That way just your frequency to and from the kill site will keep the scavengers at bay.

Don’t be afraid of the night. I know a lot of my civilian friends think the woods are dangerous at night for some reason. It’s the exact same woods just cooler.

Keep your coolers on the shady side of the truck and throw an old beat up sleeping bag over it.

Easy peasy.
IMG_2305.jpeg

Please rethink that 120 qt cooler. That isn’t big enough and you will have nothing but frustration using one. A 150 is good, two are better. 150 + 120 would work Is the minimum.

You can use pillow cases or sheets cut and sewn to size. Think of that type of material for game bags. in certain areas flies are worse than heat.

just as a point of reference, I know I’ve packed more than 35 elk, killed around 25 All in August September. You have time. Keep in mind good shots are the first step to meat care.

S.Clancy

WKR
1. You need two 120 qt coolers for elk.

2. The most trips you should have is 4 with a really big bull. My brother and I split his 5x5 bull last year plus camp.

3. Depending on your meat care knowledge, you can kill elk in some hot temps and be ok. I've killed elk when temps were in the low 90s. As long as they are not sitting in the blazing sun and you get the hide off you have a while before stuff gets serious.