How do you deal with tarsal glands without contaminating meat?

Opia

FNG
When it comes to quartering a mule deer buck or white tail buck in the field do you bring an extra knife to deal with the tarsal glands? Is there a way to work around them and cut them free from the legs without getting that stink on the blade?

I typically have one do it all knife and an extra replaceable blade knife for things like the tarsal glands. But would prefer to just carry a single knife if i could ensure it was clean enough to cut into the meat after removing the tarsal glands, skinning the fur, etc. I've heard elk fur can really stink of urine and cause the meat to get a tainted flavor if the scent gets on the blade.

After all the work it takes to kill a big game animal in the mountains the last thing I want to do it ruin the meat by not properly caring for it from start to finish. I appreciate any thoughts and opinions fellas.

Tod osier

WKR
When it comes to quartering a mule deer buck or white tail buck in the field do you bring an extra knife to deal with the tarsal glands? Is there a way to work around them and cut them free from the legs without getting that stink on the blade?

I typically have one do it all knife and an extra replaceable blade knife for things like the tarsal glands. But would prefer to just carry a single knife if i could ensure it was clean enough to cut into the meat after removing the tarsal glands, skinning the fur, etc. I've heard elk fur can really stink of urine and cause the meat to get a tainted flavor if the scent gets on the blade.

After all the work it takes to kill a big game animal in the mountains the last thing I want to do it ruin the meat by not properly caring for it from start to finish. I appreciate any thoughts and opinions fellas.

I make my skinning cut wrap to the outside part of the leg where the tarsal glands are and skin a little farther down the leg than you have to to have bone, not hair to grab.

Make your skinning incision down the back of the leg and the back of the tendon. Make another incision around the leg well above the tarsal gland. Now, just simply skin out the legs and you will skin under the gland and never need to remove it separately.

Gwchem

Lil-Rokslider
I just slice it off from above the gland, my knife goes right under.

Larry Bartlett

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
The key to those stinky glands is how Gwchen described it. The gland is attached like a tear duct really close to the bone. A little blade pressure and you'll cut the gland off from underneath the gland itself, literally skinning it off the bone as you peel off the hide.

I just cut them off with a small pocket knife then break out my processing knife. Grab high above it to start the cut then give em a toss. Easy peasy.

But then, I always have a small pocket knife for miscellaneous stuff and a hunting knife.

DiabeticKripple

Lil-Rokslider
I just don’t touch it with my hands or knife, skin from underneath staying close to the bone.

I cut down the back of the ham down to below the knee, make a round incision and then come back up and under the gland.

Not the really black stinky kind that cause all the fuss.
It is true they are not as odorous. However, they are still present, still contain some odor, and are urinated over to mark scrapes. Hence the reason I personally remove them from bucks and does. It's simple, keeps meat cleaner, and reduces one more contamination point.

I'll concede others may not do the same nor wish to do so.

sndmn11

WKR