Katadyn vs Platypus Gravity Filter

Which Gravity Filter is better?

• Total voters
So after going through the MSR pump and now the Sawyer Squeeze I am going to give gravity filters a try. Myself and everyone I hunt with dread getting water at the end of the day. For those of you who have experience with gravity filters can you through out your recommendation to which one of these two is better and why? Any common issues I need to watch for when using?

I am leaning towards the Platypus right now as the dirty/clean bag gets you 8L of water storage real easy.

SteveCNJ

WKR
Classified Approved
My buddy has a gravity filter and I believe it is a platypus. It took forever to fill a liter maybe 15 to 20 minutes. I have a Katadyn hiker pro and it took maybe a minute and a half tops.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

OP
O
My buddy has a gravity filter and I believe it is a platypus. It took forever to fill a liter maybe 15 to 20 minutes. I have a Katadyn hiker pro and it took maybe a minute and a half tops.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
That seems excessive. Was the filter backwashed?

AKDoc

WKR
Classified Approved
I'm in the field a lot each year on remote pack-raft floats and drop-hunts up here...some of those trips are for two-weeks. The Katadyn Base Camp and the Steripen Adventurer have been my go-to's for the past seven years...neither have ever failed, and I have not gotten sick. Got giardia once about twenty years ago after back country in the Yukon despite using a different filter at the time...that was not a good thing, so I'm extra cautious and compulsive about water treatment.

The Base Camp is pretty darn convenient...I set it up, and let it do it's job while I do something else. The only caution I will put out there is that you will need to change filters, so be ready with a spare. That doesn't really bother me because some of the water on the drop-hunts is often pretty funky, and I just figure the filter is doing it's job real well. Supposedly the newer Base Camp model has a longer filter life...the jury is still out for me on that.

mrgreen

WKR
I voted for the Platy, but to SteveCNJ's point-I recently used my Platy Gravity system ( which had been in extended storage, while I used a different system) and was upset to have a trickle that sounds like what happened to your buddy. When I tried it again after leaving it wet overnight it worked fine. I called Platy CS and was told they never heard of anything like that.

FYI- I'm waiting for the Platy Quickdraw Microfilter. It's been announced but not released. ETA spring '21.

FishfinderAK

Lil-Rokslider
Try a pressurized back flush using a syringe. It’s amazing how much gunk you’ll blow outta there. Then works like new...
At least that what I do.

One thing I have noticed with the platypus is that the filter seems to get what I consider an airlock. If I raise it back over the dirty bag, and then lower it down, it usually flows really nice. But it can be finicky. But when it works, it works oh so nice.

Trypad

FNG
I know you have already purchased the Katadyn.

I've had the platypus for quite a few years as well. And I can speak to the slow drip as well, but like all have said a little back flow will do a lot of good. The other thing I like about gravity in general is that you can set it and forget it! Get some water flowing and work on your camp setup while it's doing it's job. With the Platy though I do like that I have the option to carry a bag of clean water and a bag of dirty water if needed.

I'm sure you will love what you have though!

I’ve ran the 4L platypus filter system for about 4 years and am still on the original filter (although I carry a spare in my boat). I am really happy with the performance of it. We filter a lot of water each summer on many extended river trips with friends and filter some pretty rough water, like the silty Yukon River water, and it still continues to do a good job. It took a time or two using it to figure out that you have to work the air out or it will flow slowly.
I’m looking at getting a more compact unit for sheep season but haven’t decided which brand to go with yet.

tomatz

Lil-Rokslider
This is some good info. This is my next purchase for the upcoming fall hunts.