Overthink Water Filtration and Storage with me

eltaco

WKR
I’m needing to replace a filter this season and also bringing my oldest son on his first backpack hunt with me this Fall, so I’m re-evaluating water filtration and storage options for this season.

I’m currently using a Platypus 3L as my main reservoir that stays in my pack, and I’ve installed a QD in my drink hose to plug in a Platypus 2L (dirty) bag with Sawyer squeeze filter in-line. It’s pretty quick and doesn’t require me to dive into my pack to get to the main hydration bay. When I’m done filtering, I just roll up the 2L bag and filter and stash it in my pack, and replace my drink hose on the QD.

In my hunt areas, running water is easily accessible, so I haven’t carried a pump in many years. The gravity filter gets the job done quite nicely and lasts a couple of seasons before I replace the filter just to speed flow back up.

I’m considering adding a Nalgene or other water vessel this year to allow me to mix electrolytes in a separate container. In the case of a Nalgene, I’m wondering if I really need a drink hose since I’d have ready access to the Nalgene. That has me wondering if I could consolidate a bit and have one 3L storage reservoir with a built in filter cap and leave the Nalgene as my primary clean water source.

Does anyone run with a similar setup, or alternatively drink through an inline filter in a standard drink hose? I’m ultimately wondering if I can cut the dirty water bag and hose to reduce some weight and simplify my hydration system.

OP
E

eltaco

WKR
Here is my current platypus system, for reference.

Only real down sides for me are the small opening on the 2L dirty vessel and added bull of two bags and hoses (though relatively minor).
a5f2ba03fec17db23ea6f2e86a6c0b97.jpg

I’m considering a Hydrapak with filter cap as a water storage vessel in its place:

Or this with inline filter:

I used to do exactly what you did. Last year I switched over to a hardside hydration system. This allows me to run a mixed drink but have the luxury of the hose system. Here is what I run now. I carry a 2L Platypus (dirty) with a sawyer inline filter. I can hook into the sawyer with the same hose as the hardside if I want to drink the water or I can hook into my nalgene and use it as a gravity feed system. When I stop, I usually run the gravity into my nalgene and let it fill by getting some creek water. I do this whenever I stop at a creek to make sure I always have enough water. When done with the dirty, I just roll it up and put it in my pack. The hardside system really was a game changer for me. I do also carry water tablets for that questionable non-rapids water.

OP
E

eltaco

WKR
I used to do exactly what you did. Last year I switched over to a hardside hydration system. This allows me to run a mixed drink but have the luxury of the hose system. Here is what I run now. I carry a 2L Platypus (dirty) with a sawyer inline filter. I can hook into the sawyer with the same hose as the hardside if I want to drink the water or I can hook into my nalgene and use it as a gravity feed system. When I stop, I usually run the gravity into my nalgene and let it fill by getting some creek water. I do this whenever I stop at a creek to make sure I always have enough water. When done with the dirty, I just roll it up and put it in my pack. The hardside system really was a game changer for me. I do also carry water tablets for that questionable non-rapids water.

What’s your experience drinking straight through the filter? Is the flow rate acceptable? It seems to me flow rate drops off on the Sawyer pretty quickly throughout a season, so I’m curious if it’ll be too much effort to just drink through. Can’t honestly say I’ve tried it.

Throw a pump in your kids pack and then you will both have clean bags and no inline to deal with. Quick connects all around so you don't have to take your bladder out, just hook up and pump.

Drenalin

WKR
I'm using a BeFree filter and bag (CNOC makes a larger bag that threads up with the BeFree). I generally filter this water into a Smartwater bottle, and do not use a drinking hose. Very simple, easy, lightweight.

WoodBow

WKR
Is your water dirty to start with? I used iodine tabs exclusively. I don't even bother to use the neutralizing tablet afterwards. Seems like a real easy solution if you just want a solution for drinking out of a nalgene. Bottles are so much more convenient to fill quickly.

What’s your experience drinking straight through the filter? Is the flow rate acceptable? It seems to me flow rate drops off on the Sawyer pretty quickly throughout a season, so I’m curious if it’ll be too much effort to just drink through. Can’t honestly say I’ve tried it.
I ran that system for 3 or 4 years. I didn't seem to get annoyed with the flow. There was difference and some restriction. I do recall getting annoyed with how long it took to get it started but once it gets flowing through the filter, I can't think of a time when he frustrated me. I honestly moved away from that system due to a bladder failure. Utilizing the sawyer just on my dirty one and running into my nalgenes (I run the big ones), I don't worry about my water system failing. If the dirty bladder fails, I funnel water through to my nalgene and use my water treatment tablets. Just a safety net. I can take a picture when I get home from work.

OP
E

eltaco

WKR
I’ve never used tablets, and I suppose in around 15yrs of hunting mountains I haven’t had a filter or water bladder failure. Either of those will cause a person to change their ways, though!

I’ve used a pump in the past, but probably not for 8-10yrs. I generally don’t prefer the added weight or effort over a gravity system. The water sources I drink from are pretty clear, not stagnant, and good enough flow to be easy to pull from.

uglymud

FNG
Recently had my first long trip with the BeFree instead of a pump. Using the cnoc bag for gravity filtering at camp and dirty water transport seemed to work well, I also brought the standard 1L bag that comes with the filter for some extra capacity and backup as I've heard the cnoc bags can be fragile.

I prefer to have my bladder independent from my filter setup. It lives in the lid of my pack, so it's all easy access. I also carry a Nalgene for mixing drinks. Overall I'm lighter than my pump and faster, but I will swap out for it when necessary.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Just filter through a tube sock, drop 2 drops of bleach in per liter, shake, wait 30 minutes cap on, 30 minutes cap off to vent and then chug that shit. lol

ewade07

WKR
Is your water dirty to start with? I used iodine tabs exclusively. I don't even bother to use the neutralizing tablet afterwards. Seems like a real easy solution if you just want a solution for drinking out of a nalgene. Bottles are so much more convenient to fill quickly.
I got sick of luggin around the filtration system and switched to iodine tabs this year shed hunting. So much nicer and easier. the taste is meh, but i just add water flavoring.

WoodBow

WKR
I got sick of luggin around the filtration system and switched to iodine tabs this year shed hunting. So much nicer and easier. the taste is meh, but i just add water flavoring.
Exactly. We are fortunate to have clean water in the areas we hunt. I used a filter one time and that was enough for me to know that that life was not for me.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

harge57

Lil-Rokslider
I basically run your same setup with a nalgene. I use my nalgene for measuring water for meals, making coffee, etc.

I would just run your same setup and add the nalgene. The extra water storage is nice and I tend to drink way more from the hose. The nalgene gets old getting in and out.

Another plus of the nalgene is you can boil some water and then put it in your sleeping bag on really cold nights.

BBob

WKR
I'm using a BeFree filter and bag (CNOC makes a larger bag that threads up with the BeFree). I generally filter this water into a Smartwater bottle, and do not use a drinking hose. Very simple, easy, lightweight.
I do pretty much the same. BeeFree squeeze filter, large Platypus bag and Smartwater bottle for general drinking and electrolyte mix. I got sick of sucking out of a hose and gave it up for the bottles. Platypus sells those sliding pop top caps that fit the Smartwater bottles for quick drinking without removing and dropping the regular cap. They also don’t leak like the Smartwater drink caps which also break after awhile.

feanor

WKR
I like the sawyer cnoc setup with 2 smart water bottles. All threads are same. I’ve used cnoc for two years and it’s held up fine.

For rifle season I switch to tablets.

ODB

WKR
Throw a pump in your kids pack and then you will both have clean bags and no inline to deal with. Quick connects all around so you don't have to take your bladder out, just hook up and pump.

Agree. I still use a pump after all these years although I have hung water to let it clear and pump from the top.

*zap*

WKR
I think it may be wise to always have at least a liter of water per person with you.

As far as purification systems it is probably best to try them and decide before a trip. A stainless nalgene style bottle will always allow you to boil as long as you can make a fire. A few coffee filters will allow some filtration prior to boiling. I never even do a short hike without a liter of water and usually I have a filter I can put into a nalgene if I need more....tablets are good to have also as mentioned prior by @fenaor.

OP
E

eltaco

WKR
I basically run your same setup with a nalgene. I use my nalgene for measuring water for meals, making coffee, etc.

I would just run your same setup and add the nalgene. The extra water storage is nice and I tend to drink way more from the hose. The nalgene gets old getting in and out.

Another plus of the nalgene is you can boil some water and then put it in your sleeping bag on really cold nights.

I may end up doing just that, but hope to find a solution that keeps me at 2 water vessels instead of adding a 3rd. My primary goal with any backpack gear change is to find a way to reduce weight, but adding a Nalgene and holder on my Exo K4 will probably end up as a net gain in weight no matter what I do.

I’m starting to lean towards at least trying a 2L reservoir as dirty water with an in-line filter with a drink hose and making my Nalgene my primary. I’ll be hiking with it to see if the flow rate is going ti be acceptable.

Rich M

WKR
My cousin has this little pump filter that has 2 thin hoses. Are we talking about trying to avoid something as simple as that? It is about the size of a coffee cup.

I tend to operate out of a truck or base camp and don't "need" water filtration for regular water uses but carry water and a survival straw just in case. Not opposed to using a wide mouth nalgene w the straw. It is easy to find water but southern swamps are tannic and filled with micro-organisms.

After this thread - gonna look at carrying a couple coffee filters now - be handy if needing water - thinking about the idea of using rubber bands to secure the coffee filter over the Nalgene's mouth or the survival straw to filter out actual bugs and waterborne sediments so stuff doesn't plug the straw.