Overthink Water Filtration and Storage with me

On backpack hunts I carry a small pump and tablets. At camp I have a 3 liter gravity filter. I also started using a hardside hydration system after seeing it reviewed here. Game changer for me.

akcabin

Lil-Rokslider
We have been using a MSR water purifying pump at our remote cabin for years. Love it. We no longer have to carry water.
It also is made to travel. Comes with a carrying pack that fits on your belt. Size is near 3x4x6". Water bottles can screw on to it. Never needs cleaning and freezing doesn't hurt it. And it's strong.
I also use the straw when moose hunting.
They have a video on their website that demonstrates it if interested

Gobbler36

WKR
Steripen and a Nalgene. Pen a liter at a time in the Nalgene, dump into my reservoir, 1 extra liter in the Nalgene at the end

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
This is what I do
the steripen has made my water needs way simpler I leave a gravity works filter at camp and steripen and Nalgenes always stay in my pack while hunting fill up in a stream drop a nuun tan in and go!
added the hard side hydration this year and it’s been awesome

OP
E

eltaco

WKR
This is what I do
the steripen has made my water needs way simpler I leave a gravity works filter at camp and steripen and Nalgenes always stay in my pack while hunting fill up in a stream drop a nuun tan in and go!
added the hard side hydration this year and it’s been awesome

I had never heard of the hard side kit until this thread. Thanks for highlighting another option.

Marble

WKR

I stopped using a daily water bladder awhile ago. I had a hard time keeping track of the water a drank. So now I use a Nalgene and two 32 Oz Gatorade bottles for my daily water storage and the system linked above.

I also carried iodine tabs and a steripen. Just works better for me. No system is perfect.

Sometimes I bring a pump, just depends on where I'm going.

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk

OP
E

eltaco

WKR
Alright, decided to give this a try.

I went with a Hydrapak Contour 3L, and I’m planning to use my main bladder as my dirty water to drink direct through filter using the drink hose, or tap off of to gravity feed to my Nalgene.

Flow rate test at home is pretty impressive, though I’m sure it’ll slow over time. My water sources are generally really clean, so I’d maybe choose a different approach if I were pulling from stagnant ponds regularly.

I did also pick up a Hydrapak Seeker with plug and play cap to use as a gravity feed to my bladder and/or Nalgene as an alternate option. I’ll try both this summer to make a decision for Fall.

Option 1 allows me to add a Nalgene for no additional weight penalty over my current hydration system, so I’m hoping that pans out!
2348fd02d579b6cf98417a199e685231.jpg

665b46cc591d3a512be060d349057473.jpg

65b5770e463a55469826caa1b06e227b.jpg

shootnrun

Lil-Rokslider
I primarily hunt in regions with lots of water. I run iodine only. 2 nalgenes full to start the day and after I finish one I'll stop and fill it and drop in tablets. Alternate as needed. I used to run pumps of various sorts but always had some sort of backup. Never have been sick but have had various pump failures, clogging, sawyer bags leaking, etc.. tabs always work and I can pitch the extra weight.

Gone4Days

WKR
I like the sawyer cnoc setup with 2 smart water bottles. All threads are same. I’ve used cnoc for two years and it’s held up fine.

For rifle season I switch to tablets.
Same setup here… Sawyer with cnoc bags and Smart Water bottles

Clarktar

WKR
Unless I am going to be camped right on a creek I'm using iodine tabs. @Clarktar showed me the light
Complete mineral profile is just a extra benefit!

It also taste much better with iodine than it does "filtered". Filtered water is for kids.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Amand

FNG
Had good luck with the CNOC bags vs the standard sawyer. They come in 2L or 3L and seem more durable

*zap*

WKR
something to be aware of if you do not carry much water while hiking is that lifestraw makes a filter which can be screwed into a nalgene. Fill nalgene and add filter=drink. Comes with wide and narrow mouth lids.

*zap*

WKR
Lifestraw Go filter:

• FILTERS OUT CONTAMINANTS: the Membrane microfilter protects against Bacteria (including E.coli + Salmonella), Parasites (including Giardia and Cryptosporidium), Microplastics, sand, dirt, and cloudiness
  • IMPROVES TASTE: the Carbon filter reduces chlorine, odors + organic chemical matter
  • LONG LASTING: The membrane microfilter lasts up to 1,000 gal (4,000 L) - about five years of daily use. Carbon filter lasts up to 26 gallons (100 L) - about two months.

Another plus of the nalgene is you can boil some water and then put it in your sleeping bag on really cold nights.
I’ll second this! On my last hunt I got a little wet on the hike up the trail and camped on a high shelf of a ridge, woke up cold in the middle of the night with temps below freezing. Boiled water, put it in my nalgene and was able to sleep a few more hours.

I like using the Sawyer squeeze along with a 1.5L Nalgene and carrying my MSR Titan .75L pot to boil water.

dj1975232

Lil-Rokslider
I prefer to drink out of a Nalgene. I'll use a bladder sometimes for day hunts but I just have a mixed history with them. I've settled on (at least for now) 2 CNOC 2L bags, one dirty (orange) and one clean (blue), a sawyer squeeze and Nalgene, with tablets as a backup.

This way gives me some options. the bladders can gravity filter from one to another with the Sawyer or squeeze them, and it lets me keep anywhere from 1 to 5 liters on me as needed.

Last edited:
I never like to go into the field without at least one hard container to supplement bladders. They will all eventually fail.

Drenalin

WKR
I never like to go into the field without at least one hard container to supplement bladders. They will all eventually fail.

Maybe. I've had bad luck out of Platypus bladders, particularly the bite valves. And had failures out of the early Camelbak bladders. But for the last 17 years I've had two Camelbak bladders with nary a problem out of either one.