Just Draw already New Mexico!!!

Hi All,

Wow!!! I just drew a non-resident, unguided unit 16A, 1st rifle Elk hunt; Oct 13-17! I feel so blessed. I know the feeling of not drawing anything for years and years so this is so sweet!

-->I have not hunted NM yet, and would love to hear from anyone via PM who's hunted this unit or a nearby unit for general elk talk and guidance on what I'm in for. Thank you.

LaGriz

WKR
Good News,
My hunting partner and I were Successful with our 1st choice! Going back to the "Land of Enchantment" 2nd archery (any 1 elk) Sept.15th-24th. In the rut for my favorite species in my favorite place to hunt. Truly Blessed! Let the dieting and archery practice begin while the training catches another gear! Good luck to every one!

LaGriz

NoWiser

WKR
Hi All,

Wow!!! I just drew a non-resident, unguided unit 16A, 1st rifle Elk hunt; Oct 13-17! I feel so blessed. I know the feeling of not drawing anything for years and years so this is so sweet!

-->I have not hunted NM yet, and would love to hear from anyone via PM who's hunted this unit or a nearby unit for general elk talk and guidance on what I'm in for. Thank you.

Amazing tag. Congrats. You won't have trouble finding elk.

dihardhunter

Lil-Rokslider
Backdoor check was true to form. I struck out on 4 species, dad pulled a Nov. 3-7 Rifle Deer tag in the Roswell 33 unit. We had already decided that we would string this one together with a back half of CO 3rd season deer tag if he drew. 2 states, 2 tags, 2 weeks. Can't wait!

LaGriz

WKR
TexanSam,

"I just got off the phone with game and fish, they said that the reason you get the conflicting error is because if you attempt to do the backdoor method, you and your immediate family now has a 10 year ban on hunting, fishing, trapping and stamp collecting in the state of New Mexico. Therefore they cannot sell you a license."

You have some folks cringing for sure! Dark Sense of Humor there Partner!
Congrats to all that were successful in the draw!
Good Luck to all who are yet to see results in this state or the next. LaGriz

Trial153

WKR
Back door was good to go for me. The long shots I expected a rejection but the late seasons deer tag maybe the best percentage tag I have ever not drawn on.

Dameon

WKR
I struck out on NR Unit 34 deer and elk. That wasn't the news I was hoping for today, but I have family in Unit 34, so I might tag along on a hunt or two if they get drawn.

lilharcher

Lil-Rokslider
No dice this year for me in NM, and was in the outfitter pool w/ some very attainable 3rd choices. Oh well, I hope to have better luck next year.

mproberts

WKR
That's a great tag. I went ride along with a buddy that had it a couple of years ago.

Thanks El General! Yeah I'm pretty stoked about it, and it's honestly the first trophy tag I've ever won. Do you have any stories or insight from your time there?

Danomite

Lil-Rokslider
I went 2 of 7 in the NM draw. Drew first choice muzzle loader in a unit I've hunted 6 of the last 7 years, and first choice muzzle loader deer in a unit I've hunted the last two years. Obviously not high demand hunts but I'm stoked. 2018 got off to a great start with a successful depredation ibex hunt last month. I'll add OTC barbary and bear tags for an excuse to get out between now and the deer and elk hunts. Good luck in the remaining draws everyone and on the hunts in NM for those that drew tags.

Wow! I drew 52 first archery elk, and I’ve never drawn with such low odds. My condolences to those of you that didn’t draw this year. I know the feeling all too well.
Does anybody know of decent spots to consider for base camp/parking in 52? Not asking for hunting spots.

52 is simple in terms of base camps. Follow 87 west from 285 until you get in the trees and there are plenty of spots. 20-30 min from 285.

Feeling pretty lucky to draw unit 45 muzzleloader. First time hunting New Mexico and that unit. If anyone has any tips or information they would like to share via PM I would very appreciative.