John Dudley

jspradley

WKR
Providing free technical info while suggesting his viewers use the releases he sells. It's like grocery stores selling Thanksgiving turkeys at cost. They make their money on cranberry sauce, stuffing, and gravy mix.

That's smart business.

No one is forced to buy the release, I've learned a ton from Dudley and I still don't have one of his releases.

That's smart business.

No one is forced to buy the release, I've learned a ton from Dudley and I still don't have one of his releases.

Agreed. The info is just as useful, whether you use his releases or not. I tried the Nock-2-It that another buddy recently bought, and while it's a perfectly great release, it's ultimately just another Carter release that comes down to personal preference. I don't plan on running out and buying one, but I also wouldn't be sad to have one if I found a used one at a great price.

I'm curious to try the silverback as well, but not because I think it's imbued with any magic that couldn't be found in other releases on the market.

Same thing with Aron Snyder. He's got some great info in his videos. Would he like it if you buy Kifaru products? Absolutely! That's a huge part of why he releases those videos. But most of the information is still useful, and applicable to hunting and backpacking at large, regardless of what you end up buying. He's still a wealth of information, and nobody's holding a gun to your head to make you buy a Kifaru pack.

Brendan

WKR
I like Dudley's releases. Nice to have a thumb button, hinge, and tension with the exact same form factor.

I don't think he's perfect, nobody is, but I've picked up a lot from all his content with respect to tuning and shooting.

Could deal without the drama of that last podcast though.

I watched the live feed. Some nice little, quick changes to the NXT 33 for bowhunters but it should be nice as he gets more involved into bow design.

The carbon is just the same thing with different stickers and Sitka Camo limbs.

3forks

WKR
I got started in archery before there were guys like Dudley or George Ryals making some of their content available online. If you wanted to improve your shot, you needed to get a coach. Also, if you wanted to learn about tuning a bow or building arrows, you mostly needed to find a mentor in a bow shop or try to learn from a book.

Now, we have a ton of useful information available to us that we can access mostly for free. I don’t agree with everything Dudley (or anyone else has to say), but I think most of what he says is worth listening to. For someone who is new to archery, it would cost them a lot of money and time to learn everything that Dudley makes available online if they were just buying coaching sessions.

Also, for some of the guys criticizing Dudley, I’d like to see their shooting form and scores. Granted, you can be fairly proficient in archery with shitty form, but I’d be way more likely to consider someone’s opinions if they can shoot as well as Dudley or articulate why they do the things they do as well as him.

I didn’t read every post in regards to this discussion, so sorry if this has already been pointed out.

MattB

WKR
That's smart business.

Not disagreeing with that, just tempering the notion that his prolific YouTube publishing was some sort of public service - it is marketing as much as anything.

As stated above, Dudley is also just tweaking existing products made successful by other manufacturers, so not like he has revolutionized anything from a product perspective (and not suggesting he is anything but transparent about it, because he is) so they jury is out on what technical innovations he may contribute at PSE.

3forks

WKR
Anyone who is interested can hear why Dudley moved to PSE, and his hear about his intent to try and have PSE design bows with input from the general public on what they want, rather than just sell what the engineers design, can be seen below (starting at about the 4 minute mark).

Not disagreeing with that, just tempering the notion that his prolific YouTube publishing was some sort of public service - it is marketing as much as anything.

As stated above, Dudley is also just tweaking existing products made successful by other manufacturers, so not like he has revolutionized anything from a product perspective (and not suggesting he is anything but transparent about it, because he is) so they jury is out on what technical innovations he may contribute at PSE.

How many ads to you hear on his podcast?

Trial153

WKR

The entire podcast is an add for his platform. Just like every other podcast. To infer that Dudley does all this for altruistic reasons is plain silly. There is nothing wrong with making a living, no need to blow smoke up everyone butt trying to disguise it.

The entire podcast is an add for his platform. Just like every other podcast. To infer that Dudley does all this for altruistic reasons is plain silly. There is nothing wrong with making a living, no need to blow smoke up everyone butt trying to disguise it.

Question was do you hear paid advertisements from other brands? Like we hear on every other podcast. This question has a yes or no answer.

Phat Cowboy

Lil-Rokslider

I've learned more from John Dudley than any bow tech, pro shop, local pro or hunter has ever even offered me. I've never bought anything directly from Nockon although I really would love to try a Silverback release and as soon as my budget allows I plan on it. He has given me something far better than any piece of equipment. I've gained knowledge that has allowed me to understand the "why" and the "how" in all kinds of aspects of my archery.

I no longer have to rely solely on someone else to guide me I've been able to figure things out for myself and fix issues on my own. I have a far better understanding and have made so much improvement. I'm light years ahead of where I spent the most part of a decade. You can't put a price on that. The local shop would have just kept selling me new equipment and I'd still suck. Now I can take my old bow from 06' tune it myself and shoot it just as good as my brand new Mathews. He gives excellent insight and knowledge and like I've stated before if he can make a buck or two good for him after all it's America and theres no such thing as "free".

prm

WKR
Hmmm, we‘ll see how it plays out. Not sure about ”building bows the customer wants vice what the engineers decide..” . That’s paraphrasing, but I’m pretty sure the engineers at every major brand know what the consumer wants. Realizing that to them the ’consumer’ is all of us, not just any one person.

Regardless, he is a good resource for bow hunters and if he feels this is the best path for him, more power to him.

I have listened to about three of his podcasts and the were rage and Hoyt infomercials with some AAE thrown in for good measure. It not content I want or need.

So you don't listen or follow or his content but you know his intentions?

You should really listen to his podcasts from the beginning. There is more information in the first 100 podcasts than you will ever get from any pro shop. Obviously, he is going to make to money for him and his family off of his expertise but there is not very many people, if any, in any field that provide the high quality information that he does for free.

I wish more people 'marketed' like him as the world would be a much more knowledgeable place.

MattB

WKR
Also, for some of the guys criticizing Dudley, I’d like to see their shooting form and scores. Granted, you can be fairly proficient in archery with shitty form, but I’d be way more likely to consider someone’s opinions if they can shoot as well as Dudley or articulate why they do the things they do as well as him.

So, the value of people's opinions on Dudley's business acumen is predictheir form and scores? Nonsequitur much?
Question was do you hear paid advertisements from other brands? Like we hear on every other podcast. This question has a yes or no answer.

The entire premise of this thread is everyone who follows him knows he was a Hoyt guy and now he is a PSE guy. So in essence many of his videos are product endorements/marketing/advertisements, whatever you want to call them. Meaning, certain brands are being shown in his videos for financial reasons.

3forks

WKR
So, the value of people's opinions on Dudley's business acumen is predictheir form and scores? Nonsequitur much?

The entire premise of this thread is everyone who follows him knows he was a Hoyt guy and now he is a PSE guy. So in essence many of his videos are product endorements/marketing/advertisements, whatever you want to call them. Meaning, certain brands are being shown in his videos for financial reasons.

As it relates to what you wrote about my statement; I’m talking about guys stating that Dudley is providing biased information.

If we’re talking about business acumen, I don’t know if he’s got an MBA or whether you or anyone else knows more about “business” than he does. But, if we’re talking about archery, if anyone is trying to contend that the info Dudley provides is self-serving, I’d say 95% of what he speaks about is applicable to any manufacturer’s products. In addition, if anyone thinks they are as proficient as Dudley - prove it. If someone can prove it - I’ll gladly listen to you with my full attention.

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved
Anyone who is interested can hear why Dudley moved to PSE, and his hear about his intent to try and have PSE design bows with input from the general public on what they want, rather than just sell what the engineers design, can be seen below (starting at about the 4 minute mark).

That was an excellent video, thanks for posting.