Jimmy John kills potential new state record sheep in NM

TenRing

FNG
You example below proves the point that when you limit the raffles to one purchase per person it gets more people involved? Then advertise and a well run raffle tag will provide more money for the tag then a auction and it will get more hunters involved how can that be bad for a species

at the end of the day most think it's just money provided that matters most Even if a raffle tag produced slightly less money but provided more advocates for the species I would take that any day of the week.

How many of the 60 to 70 thousand applicants in Nevada even know about the silver state tags I bet a large chunk are not award of the opportunity that falls on who is promoting the tags they are leaving alot of money on the table for those species
I would say a large chunk of the 60-70k applicants know. They get mailers, emails, deadline reminders, social media posts, etc… No, Nevada doesn’t do a global advertising campaign to promote the tags, but the information is in-front of anyone who applies in Nevada or is looking for it. The cost of doing a giant ad campaign could easily outweigh the revenue he generated, and like I said the moneys generated are only ear marked for conservation.

The auctions have always been a point of contention because it’s an opportunity that 99.9% can’t people can’t afford. But the reality is it the money raised off of 8 auction rags would be hard to make up for if removed or converted to raffles. Here in Nevada if you converted the auction to raffle you’d be asking for people to fork over another $200 to apply for the other raffle tags. And they still wouldn’t make up for the auction money, unless you added a lot more applicants.

Another thing people always say just raise tag costs, but that increase in tag costs wouldn't go to the heritage fund, it would go to the department. The moneys these tags raise is earmarked for conservation only, a vastly overlooked fact by many who oppose them.

Majority of the states out west have a raffle version of the auction tag. So, your comment regarding adding more advocates is a moot point. There are plenty of opportunities to try to win a draw for one of these premium tags. Except if you live outside of AZ, as they now do resident only raffles.

It is about money, that was the point of the auction/raffle tags! To raise as much money for conservation with only a handful of tags. The money raised at auction/raffle gets matched 3:1 by federal dollars from PRA. That is serious money, where 1.36 mill can turn into 4 mill or more depending on the projects. The amount of predator reduction, water projects, planting, transplants, etc, you can with that extra money is huge.

Snowwolfe

Lil-Rokslider
It drives up the price bc outfitters see that there are people willing to pay an exorbitant amount of money. Look at the current prices to hunt vs 5 years ago, 10 years ago. I went to Alaska in 2021 and going back this year. The outfitter I flew with for caribou has gone up 30%. The transporter I’m using for my moose hunt has gone up 45%.

Sure, inflation plays a roll in it, but that’s a steep hike in 2 years. And they sure don’t have a shortage on clients.

The dall sheep outfitter I would like to eventually hunt with has a 5 year wait list and is currently charging $45k. I literally may never get to make that hunt. Sure, we are doing good financially but I have a kid on the way. They offer a payment plan but that’s 10k a year for 5 years…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Man I’m glad I managed to shoot my last Dall within a one days hike of my truck. Those days are likely over forever even for us Alaskans

Man I’m glad I managed to shoot my last Dall within a one days hike of my truck. Those days are likely over forever even for us Alaskans

Yeah it’s a shame. I understand limited tags but the costs are crazy….

Archer86

WKR
It is about money, that was the point of the auction/raffle tags! To raise as much money for conservation with only a handful of tags. The money raised at auction/raffle gets matched 3:1 by federal dollars from PRA. That is serious money, where 1.36 mill can turn into 4 mill or more depending on the projects. The amount of predator reduction, water projects, planting, transplants, etc, you can with that extra money is huge
If it's about the money then more advocates for wild sheep would provide more money auction tags don't provide more advocates the do the opposite. There is a reason the wild sheep foundation is only 11000 memebers.

KurtR

WKR
Not true. Noem decided to take some of those bhs $$$ for her Second Century Initiative for pheasant habitat and predator control.

Perfect that makes me like it even more. Pheasant habitat is good for ducks I like ducks more than sheep. So I hope the rich guy bids it way high and gets more money and more habitat that will benefit way more people over all.

mtmiller

WKR
Perfect that makes me like it even more. Pheasant habitat is good for ducks I like ducks more than sheep. So I hope the rich guy bids it way high and gets more money and more habitat that will benefit way more people over all.
At least you now know the facts.😉

BBob

WKR

TenRing

FNG
If it's about the money then more advocates for wild sheep would provide more money auction tags don't provide more advocates the do the opposite. There is a reason the wild sheep foundation is only 11000 memebers.
How would getting rid of auction tags bring more advocates? There are already raffle options for these tags, so would adding another raffle tag add that much more advocates? Maybe they should advertise the raffle/draw versions more, but where would that budget come from? I could understand if there were only auction tags and no other opportunities, then a raffle may add advocates. But there are more opportunities than the several auction gov tags out west. Nevada issues around 250-300 sheep tags a year, that’s more than any other state. And they give up 1% of their tags, (2 auction, 1 raffle) those three tags raise over half a million dollars annually, and less than 10k people put in for the raffle.

Sheep hunting is a niche, and not everyone is into it hence the WSF low membership. But the people that are into it are willing to spend insane amounts of money to hunt sheep.

WRO

WKR
You example below proves the point that when you limit the raffles to one purchase per person it gets more people involved? Then advertise and a well run raffle tag will provide more money for the tag then a auction and it will get more hunters involved how can that be bad for a species

at the end of the day most think it's just money provided that matters most Even if a raffle tag produced slightly less money but provided more advocates for the species I would take that any day of the week.

How many of the 60 to 70 thousand applicants in Nevada even know about the silver state tags I bet a large chunk are not award of the opportunity that falls on who is promoting the tags they are leaving alot of money on the table for those species

If you apply in Nevada you know.. it’s on the application page.

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved
It boggles the mind so many are trying to protect the billionaires from being “fleeced” to pay all that money for one sheep tag that supplies the majority of the funding to protect and promote the wild sheep of said state. The system is not broke and one tag is not threatening the North American model…things don’t have to be black and white to work.

What exactly have all of you “it’s not fair” guys done to support wild sheep?

99% of the people actually doing the work and volunteering on projects and donating time and money are not against using one tag to multiply the money necessary to do their work by multitudes. I don’t say 100% because I’ve not met them all but I’ve been involved with sheep hunting and conservation since the turn of the century and have met a LOT of them.

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved
How do they verify you were in AZ when you bought them?
I talked with one of the guys in charge as when I’m within 100 miles of AZ I will make the trek. For cell phones, they use the tower ping. I did not pay attention to how he said they check those done on the computer but there was a way-I wasn’t going to use it so it is foggy info. They do check.

CorbLand

WKR
No idea and I’ve wondered that myself. You click the box stating that you’re in AZ when purchasing. Do they cross check the IP address on every purchase?
Couldnt you just use a VPN to get around it and have your IP from AZ?

CorbLand

WKR
I talked with one of the guys in charge as when I’m within 100 miles of AZ I will make the trek. For cell phones, they use the tower ping. I did not pay attention to how he said they check those done on the computer but there was a way-I wasn’t going to use it so it is foggy info. They do check.
If they are going off tower ping, make sure you cross into AZ far enough that you ping off an AZ tower.

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved
I’m not big on cheaters. Nothing would please me more than some scumbag trying to cheat the system get denied his AZ super raffle tag because he didn’t follow the purchase rules. I would be grateful for the donation…