Jimmy John kills potential new state record sheep in NM

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved
If they are going off tower ping, make sure you cross into AZ far enough that you ping off an AZ tower.

Roger that. I also take a screen shot of my Apple map before and after the purchase.

Probably would be smart just to stop somewhere you could make another purchase, gas, lunch ect. and have that time stamp as well.

If they are going off tower ping, make sure you cross into AZ far enough that you ping off an AZ tower.
This is what I was wondering. I can drive down to STG and cross the border in about an hour but how will they know. Do I need to screenshot my location for proof because I wont be pinging off an AZ cell tower.

CorbLand

WKR
This is what I was wondering. I can drive down to STG and cross the border in about an hour but how will they know. Do I need to screenshot my location for proof because I wont be pinging off an AZ cell tower.
I honestly wonder if its more of a scare tactic and they really dont check. I dont see how pinging off a cell tower would work but I am far from an expert. Would probably have to go all the way into Flagstaff to be certain you get an AZ tower.

BBob

WKR
I honestly wonder if its more of a scare tactic and they really dont check.
You should try it from home and see how it works out. Worse comes to worse you’ve still made a donation to conservation ;)

Seriously, I doubt they check all of the original submissions but wouldn’t doubt it in the least that they check the winners once the raffle is completed.

Last edited:
How would getting rid of auction tags bring more advocates? There are already raffle options for these tags, so would adding another raffle tag add that much more advocates? Maybe they should advertise the raffle/draw versions more, but where would that budget come from? I could understand if there were only auction tags and no other opportunities, then a raffle may add advocates. But there are more opportunities than the several auction gov tags out west. Nevada issues around 250-300 sheep tags a year, that’s more than any other state. And they give up 1% of their tags, (2 auction, 1 raffle) those three tags raise over half a million dollars annually, and less than 10k people put in for the raffle.

Sheep hunting is a niche, and not everyone is into it hence the WSF low membership. But the people that are into it are willing to spend insane amounts of money to hunt sheep.
Large chance He is not even applying for sheep tags, if he isn’t buying $10 raffle tickets because they are unlimited, I doubt he is applying in PP state also. Would go completely against his argument.

CorbLand

WKR
You should try it from home and see how it works out. Worse comes to worse you’ve still made a donation to conservation ;)

Seriously, I doubt they check all of the original submissions but wouldn’t doubt it in the least that they check the winners once the raffle is completed.
I have my "work" around. Its a short trip to the airport and the flight isnt long.

If you really want to test the theory, dont have me do it. I wont draw even if I am in the state. It could be raining boobies, I would look up and catch a dick.

Most of the time I'd say Jersey Mike's is better, especially with the hot sandwich options. But an Italian night club with peppers hits the spot sometimes.

Where's Jersey Mike on this? Need to get that guy bidding on these tags. Make it a real heavy weight bout. I can see the Netflix documentary now. Jimmy John vs Jersey Mike: Battle for Bighorns

deerninja

FNG
Really? You don't get it?

It's optics. You've got a guy dumping 300k for a tag, hiring a dozen guys to find his animal, he goes and shoots it. Then the pics with all the hired hands, extended family, etc.

It's off putting for many sportsmen. Is the money going to a good cause? Probably. Does it look good? Not really.

In essence, it's easy to dislike, even if it's justifiable.
I completely agree with you Wyo_hntr, guys like this are giving hunting a poor view in the public. Actually, calling what he does "hunting" would be a misnomer. Sure, we see this all over, even at the fenced in operations...doesn't make the hunt attractive. SCI is another supporter of these types of hunts and operations, very upsetting to go to those shows and see where the industry has taken it.

People not sheep hunting.

Jimmy Johns GIFs | Tenor

I don't get perturbed about Jimmy and others spending big money for a single tag. However, that the most spectacular rams (and occasionally other species) across the country are almost entirely killed by posses of paid dudes who keep tabs on such animals so someone can pay them 6 figures to be the trigger man certainly does have an impact on how i look at sheep and sheep hunting. And the taste that gives non-hunters is probably worse.

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved
I don't get perturbed about Jimmy and others spending big money for a single tag. However, that the most spectacular rams (and occasionally other species) across the country are almost entirely killed by posses of paid dudes who keep tabs on such animals so someone can pay them 6 figures to be the trigger man certainly does have an impact on how i look at sheep and sheep hunting. And the taste that gives non-hunters is probably worse.

And how many times have you seen JJ or any other big wheel promoting thier latest conquest? Just about never…I give you the posse and the outfitter are the problem not the dude donating the big money for the conservation projects. A gag order on the actual offenders would be much better than eliminating the funding…

Perfect that makes me like it even more. Pheasant habitat is good for ducks I like ducks more than sheep. So I hope the rich guy bids it way high and gets more money and more habitat that will benefit way more people over all.
At least you now know the facts.😉

It's like deja vu all over again. 2024 version. Same conversation once a year.

2022:
1723564154654.png
1723564185299.png

1723564067919.png
1723564099558.png

Poser

WKR
And how many times have you seen JJ or any other big wheel promoting thier latest conquest? Just about never…I give you the posse and the outfitter are the problem not the dude donating the big money for the conservation projects. A gag order on the actual offenders would be much better than eliminating the funding…

Jimmy John is well known for posting pics of his kills and at least some of the ones I have seen don't exactly display tactfulness:

Snowwolfe

Lil-Rokslider
Tags were never fair. Even in Alaska it is extremely difficult to draw a Kodiak tag. But if a non resident sets up a hunt with a guide for a hunt they are almost guaranteed to draw a tag.
Me, I must of applied for 30 years or more and never been drawn.

BBob

WKR
I wholly agree with you :) The big gang style outfitters and the shenanigans they often pull just plain suck. I don't know how many times I/we have been hosed by various outfitters doing un-polite and sometimes pretty unethical things. I've said it before but the old days of the one guide, one big money client doing their thing is missed.

Ridge Runner

Lil-Rokslider
Story I hear from a buddy of mine on the $300K trespass paid. The fee was actually $150K and he also paid for the guy who drew the tag for the same hunt for a total of $300K. Story I heard it was just to pass through the public land to get to public behind it. Don't know if true but good on him if he did.

I wholly agree with you :) The big gang style outfitters and the shenanigans they often pull just plain suck. I don't know how many times I/we have been hosed by various outfitters doing un-polite and sometimes pretty unethical things. I've said it before but the old days of the one guide, one big money client doing their thing is missed.
Does UT have a rule that you can only have 1 guide and one spotter? I am not up on guide rules but I think I was told that they limit the people. That does nothing to stop the family from going and families tend to be big here.