Jimmy Buffett wasn’t supposed to end

Swamp Fox

WKR
If he rolled "He Went To Paris," "Death Of An Unpopular Poet," and "A Pirate Looks At Forty" into one, you'd realize your friend had written the perfect Jimmy Buffet song ...

[Hat-tip/apologies to David Allan Coe and Steve Goodman ...]

Swamp Fox

WKR
I never was a huge fan, but listened to him on occasion.Jimmy, Sammy Hagar and Jerry Jeff Walker built empires based on an easy going persona. We need more of that. It’s sad to see a lot of the personalities checking out. Steer the warm winds Jimmy.
Funny you mention Jerry Jeff because he and JB were pals back in the day. JJ introduced JB to Key West, according to legend, by driving him down there in a Packard. They wrote "Railroad Lady" together, and Jerry Jeff's "Cowboy Boots and Bathin' Suits" is worth a listen if one is looking for evidence of Jimmy Buffet's influence.

R.I.P. to both of them, good buddies.

Windigo

Lil-Rokslider
Went to my first JB concert in '77 and a number of others over the years and dang this just means another part of my youth has died and just reminds me of my own mortality.

I'm with @Desk Jockey on the whole CW thing, but JB is one of the two people I would be a little star struck if I met. Jack Nicklaus is the other.

For those of you that don't know his songs, listen to the below for a real treat.

Wonder Why We Ever Go Home
He Went to Paris
A Pirate Looks At Forty
God's Own's Drunk
In The Shelter

And for a live album, "You Had to Be There" is about as good as it gets in my book.

May he Rest In Peace.

Eddie
My Head Hurts, My Feet Stink and I Don’t Love Jesus has to make the short list too

eddielasvegas

WKR & Chairman of the Rokslide Welcoming Committee
Classified Approved
My Head Hurts, My Feet Stink and I Don’t Love Jesus has to make the short list too
I know, I know @Windigo, I could have listed a few more that did not get a lot of air play, but still great songs. I just went with what was on the top of my head (I mean, besides no hair :D) as I was writing the reply.

He's told stories of getting started when he played many a night and nobody showed up. He died a billionaire, which is impressive due to his niche (one # 1 song and that was with Alan Jackson just a few years ago) and his good business sense. Many probably had no clue he was that wealthy and certainly did not come across as such.

A sad day for Parrot Heads the world over.

Eddie

ODB

WKR
I know, I know @Windigo, I could have listed a few more that did not get a lot of air play, but still great songs. I just went with what was on the top of my head (I mean, besides no hair :D) as I was writing the reply.

He's told stories of getting started when he played many a night and nobody showed up. He died a billionaire, which is impressive due to his niche (one # 1 song and that was with Alan Jackson just a few years ago) and his good business sense. Many probably had no clue he was that wealthy and certainly did not come across as such.

A sad day for Parrot Heads the world over.

Eddie

In an odd way I kinda wish that #1 song never happened. The true buffet classics are not just about some cliche, but songs that kinda bore into you, especially the more you listen to them in the right moment. Or maybe it’s just been like that for me. My daughter loves “the oldest surfer on the beach,” which, given she’s only a teenager is pretty cool in my book.

eddielasvegas

WKR & Chairman of the Rokslide Welcoming Committee
Classified Approved
And I'll add one more:

Listen to "Coast of Marseilles" when you have GF troubles.

That song got me through some tough times in the early 80's.

Eddie

Swamp Fox

WKR
Buffet songs were legends long before any lonely #1.

Not all of them were sponge-worthy, though.

The guitar was king here, not the vocals.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="
" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture; web-share" allowfullscreen></iframe>

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Lots of Montana connections too- Ringling, Ringling; Livingston Saturday Night; Come Monday

RIP

Swamp Fox

WKR
Lots of Montana connections too- Ringling, Ringling; Livingston Saturday Night; Come Monday

RIP
Correctomundo... He had connections with some of the best Western writers/authors of the time. If you've paid attention to outdoor writing 1970 - 1990, you will find Jimmy Buffet stories around most of those guys.