Javelina in a Grab-It?

BradR

FNG
Just ordered a Kif MW/Duplex. Big game season is a longs way off. Could I just run a Guide Lid on the duplex and attach a Grab-It to haul a whole Javi?(leave the MW off) or is a Javi to big for Grab-It and cargo panel is the answer?

BPB

FNG
I just came back from a Javi hunt, I have a duplex frame with with just a large belt pocket attached and a Grab it. I carried about a 45b juvie in the grab it, I tied the 4 fee together with para-cord and tied that to the webbing at the top of the pack frame. I set the juvie in the grab it but, I need two crossed compression straps also. What I found with the Grab it 2 is a combination of the Javie, not filling it out enough and the duplex from not being wide enough to keep the fabric stretched out. after cinching everything down, the grab it ended up being very narrow to the point that it would not have held the javie by itself. The combination of the grab it and the two compression straps worked very well. It seems like the grab it would have worked better in this case if you could flip it around and use the wide part at the bottom.

Last edited:
I won't be stinking up my DT1 with no javelina, I'll carry him in a meat sack with my bow strapped to the pack.

OP
B

BradR

FNG
BPB - thanks for the details! WB- Very true! I don't need any skunk pig funk on an elk hunt.

Emh

FNG
I went on a pack trip for my pig this year and just de-boned him right on the spot! All th meat fits in 2 ziplocks. Stink free and a lot lighter walking out! Only took about 30 minutes extra to just skin/bone it out.

BPB

FNG
I didn't get any stink on my pack...I wrapped the Javie in my Sitka Jacket.

I packed mine out this year with my DT3 and a grab it II, I did not want to stink up my pack, so I always use lawn bags for the pack out. Here is a picture of my little brother wearing my pack out after I loaded up his Javelina. Poor kid weighs 98 lbs @ 15 years old, and my pack loaded with his pig and my gear was 56lbs. Good thing it was only a mile back to the pickup LOL.

20150125_093727.jpg

Attachments

• 20150125_093727.jpg
    20150125_093727.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 84

n2horns

WKR
Javelina is to be carried by the youngest or least experienced hunter. The joy of musk glad smell is priceless. Plus a $50 helps too.Much easier to shoot one by your truck.

Just ordered a Kif MW/Duplex. Big game season is a longs way off. Could I just run a Guide Lid on the duplex and attach a Grab-It to haul a whole Javi?(leave the MW off) or is a Javi to big for Grab-It and cargo panel is the answer?

Tough to run a lid on a bare frame since the attachment straps are part of the pack bag. I have an old style XTL that has three bars for frame attachment but the new lids don't seem to have them.

Sounds like a great application for a gen II hanging meat bag to me.

MattB

WKR
You can do it, but in my experience an upper lashing strap can be helpful.

OP
B

BradR

FNG
HH-nice pic sounds like you had fun! Thanks everyone for the tips. Maybe I need to take my old pack or borrow HuntHarders little bro

OP
B

BradR

FNG
Castandblast- Sounds like a great application for a gen II hanging meat bag to me.

You might have found my solution. I can run pockets on my belt. GenII meat bag on frame. Then I can use the meat bag for carrying in duck decoys for waterfowl season.

It is way strong enough... I put a whole, large, mule deer doe in one with no problems

Attachments

• IMG_20131027_105715_603.jpg
    IMG_20131027_105715_603.jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 62
  • IMG_20131027_105705_066.jpg
    IMG_20131027_105705_066.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 58

BPB

FNG
Yeah, see that doe fills the grab it out well so it can hold it relatively in place, I imagine an Elk quarter would do the same thing. the javelina was a bit strange, it wasn't thick enough to really fill out the grab it so it could hold it in place well, it needed the help of a couple of lashing straps. The straps really held it from moving side to side and the grab it helped support it from below.