It's Time For Something Better Than Wiggy Waders

Kotaman

WKR
Kevin...I think I’ve owned as many pairs of Wiggys as you and am also done. I’m back to pants with gaiters, rain gear over the top and duct tape the ankles. The only thing extra to carry is the duct tape. You can substitute electrical tape...:p. Oh, I almost forgot. Walk fast when crossing...

Kevin, something I was looking at several years ago was DuPont Tychem coveralls with integrated boot covers used for Hazmat.....search them on internet. They have different levels of quality from cheap to pricey. I figure they should hold up pretty well if they are used for Hazmat cleanups. Also check out disposable shoe or boot covers (rubber)....could use them over your wiggy waders and help durability of the foot area. We use them at work over steel toed boots....inexpensive and work pretty good.

OP
Kevin Dill
Kevin...I think I’ve owned as many pairs of Wiggys as you and am also done. I’m back to pants with gaiters, rain gear over the top and duct tape the ankles. The only thing extra to carry is the duct tape. You can substitute electrical tape...:p. Oh, I almost forgot. Walk fast when crossing...

You know I actually gave thought to going with rain pants and duct tape. Maybe that’s what it’ll come down to, but I really hope someone can create the ultimate over-boot waders. I know it can be done without any doubt. I also believe there are plenty of guys out there willing to buy them if they are built well and work for years.

Kotaman

WKR
you know i actually gave thought to going with rain pants and duct tape. Maybe that’s what it’ll come down to, but i really hope someone can create the ultimate over-boot waders. I know it can be done without any doubt. I also believe there are plenty of guys out there willing to buy them if they are built well and work for years.

agreed

OP
Kevin Dill
fwiw: I spent some time on the phone with a fabric supplier who specializes in sporting stuff. I came away with some good ideas. Placed an order for fabric samples and other materials. I think a design concept is coming into focus. My winter project may be the ideal replacement for the junk waders I've been trying to use.

JBDaddyRS

FNG
fwiw: I spent some time on the phone with a fabric supplier who specializes in sporting stuff. I came away with some good ideas. Placed an order for fabric samples and other materials. I think a design concept is coming into focus. My winter project may be the ideal replacement for the junk waders I've been trying to use.

Happened across this thread over a year later and wonder if anything ever came of it?

KyleR1985

WKR
I spent almost two years on this exact project. Ultimately what we decided on was a goretex "dry bag" with a zipper sewn in a V shape on the outside of the leg. The bottom of the bag was big enough for a size 16 boot, and stayed same diameter all the way up. Slip over boot and pull up leg. connect zipper and zip up side of your leg which pulled the fabric tight enough so that it form fit to your leg. Shock cord drawstring that tightened top, then fastened to a belt loop. I had neoprene overboots called "cleanboot" I think that I sewed on straps to cinch tight around my ankle and over top of boot. Slipped bottom of bag and boot into this and locked it all down.

It worked great in the following respects. It weight 1lb for each pair, and fit in a backpack all rolled up. The bags could be used as game bags, or as dry ish bags for storing layers, camping gear, etc. They didn't require you to take boots on and off. easy to clean and dry out.

It didn't work great in the following respects. It sucks to get muddy wet bags off of you when its really cold, or really muddy and you have no way to clean your hands. No grip on the boots, though a rework of the overboots with a sole and grip of some sort would be fine.

Ultimately they were just too much of a hassle. I bought a pair of chota hippies and simms lightest weight wading boot on a last ditch effort, and they are awesome for the way I use them. Here's the catch though - most of my hunting is done above freezing. I don't mind having a wet boot while walking - it doesn't bother me at all. While sitting still for whitetail hunting, I have a pair of boot covers I sewed pockets for handwarmers in. I can get down to freezing with them wet, and well below with them dry.

The hippies are awesome for all day wear when you don't know when you'll encounter water, but know you will. Just roll them down and up as needed. I put about 60-70 miles on them this year and the system works great for swampy marshy hunting. I walk a lot and sit little, so this was a pleasant surprise.

If I were using strictly for stream crossing, the system I came up with above works fantastic. Especially where the bags can pull double duty, and extra especially if you're in a place with more rocks than mud and don't have to deal with dirty hands. I don't think this system would work good if you need more than hip high, as you wouldn't be able to use seperate "bags" and the packability breaks down.

The concept is really simple, and we kept it in house in an attempt to bring something to market. Unfortunately, I just don't have time, nor the creative juices right now to get it next level and make it worthy. If someone wants to run with it shoot me a PM I can get you in where I left off with it.

reaper

WKR
Well over a decade I've been carrying Wiggy's Lightweight Waders to AK. I use them only for stream crossings. The concept is excellent: pull-on hip-high waders which stow in a small bag. The problem is they are generally just made of poor materials which will withstand almost no abrasion or stress. I'm coming down on the side of declaring mine as junk. I get 1 or 2 crossings and there are holes in the bootie area which let water pour in. Two of my hunting partners took new Wiggy Waders this year and almost instantly ripped the top (rim) of the waders when they snugged the belt loop webbing. I saw it happen and was...well...pretty unhappy. After going through 6 pair in 11 seasons, I'm over them for good. They're just not trustworthy.

Is there not a need/want for good, durable slip-on waders made for guys to cross streams, sloughs, etc and then remove? I'm talking about a fairly light cordura or other ripstop nylon upper bonded to a tougher fabric bootie. Waterproof. Not snug or form-fitting. Made to slip over hunting boots and pants. Weigh no more than 16 to 24 ounces per pair. A lot of us don't want to hunt all day in waders or hip boots, but may need to go through water once or twice. I'm sort of surprised a company like KUIU or Sitka hasn't seen the potential for these...or maybe I'm just crazy and think there's a market where none exists. Your thoughts?

I'd love to see someone with sewing skills decide to build these on a stronger scale.

So did you find your solution?I am looking for something similar.

OP
Kevin Dill
I gave up on creating a set of actual waders. Instead I came up with an idea to create a different type of foot-less wader which works with waterproof boots to keep feet and legs dry. I have the first prototype in hand, but still need to test them a few times. If they work (which is NOT a sure thing) I’m going to encourage someone to make them to sell.

Nillion

Lil-Rokslider
I recall a podcast with Remi Warren where he says he uses those heavy duty contractor garbage bags for this exact purpose. I haven't tried it myself, but I can imagine you'd get at least one or two crossings out of each and they're certainly a lot cheaper than waders.

Bringing it back to life. Has anyone created anything yet?

I need something just for river crossings and as light as possible.

Superdoo

WKR
If you’re looking for a durable nonslip bottom part of this equation, go with treds over boots. They are made to hold up against punctures from rebar and wire mesh in concrete!

They are also pretty light and packable.

z987k

WKR
I'm thinking the Tunrda hippies would work really well if you could find a self bailing hiking boot rather than a fishing boot.

All of this talk and discussion has me researching options for home made packable hip waders. I've found some options and will hopefully be ordering the materials in the next couple of weeks so that I can create my prototype.

AkRyan

WKR
A few yrs ago I saw some boots at sportsmans warehouse that had waders that zippered on to them.

KyleR1985

WKR
Another season in the books with the Chota hippies and simms lightest model wading boot. I logged probably another 150-200 miles. I had many hunts in 40-75* weather, and my feet were comfortable, even sitting still for hours on end with wet boots. I also made 15 or 20 sits with temps below freezing. I was surprised with how comfortable I was. I expected really cold feet and it becoming unbearable. When I hit mid 20's, I tossed handwarmers in the boot covers.

The chota hippies can be combined with a water sneaker for simply crossing water. This set up would weigh less than 2.5lbs and is very packable. I used this when I had to cross water and was hunting rough terrain where I needed my hikers on the other side.

I love the system, and have two spare pairs of hippies stored in airtight for future use.

Holmes

Lil-Rokslider
It would probably be silly expensive, but has anyone applied dyneema to this problem? Seems that making the Wiggy’s design out of a tougher fabric could fix the issue, no? Just, they’d cost $500(?) instead of $80. But, then we might have an actual multi-day-backpack-able product....?

Airohunter

Lil-Rokslider
I've been kicking around the Idea for a light stocking foot with some hippie sandals, anyone tried this yet? It's sub 4lbs.

Attachments

• shoes.jpg
    shoes.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 82
  • frogg.jpg
    frogg.jpg
    113.4 KB · Views: 82