Is your life revolving around your upcoming Elk hunt?

OP
Oakman

Oakman

Lil-Rokslider
I don't think the meds will do anything to increase your cardiovascular ability. When I lived in the midwest I'd climb high school bleachers with a loaded pack. You could find a very steep hill in your area, or a building with 10 flights of steps. Anything that works your legs and lungs.

I hate hearing people say nothing helps over 10,000 feet. A guy who worked his tail off is going to recover faster than a guy that just worried about his equipment and didn't work hard prior to season. There are still 6-8 weeks before most seasons start.

Grab a pack, and start working on climbing. It will pay off.

I think Acetazolamide helps with altitude sickness, so less things to worry about. Fitness is something else

Traveler

WKR
Response to altitude is really variable, some go from 300’ to 12,000’ and don’t feel a bit different. Have meds as backup but I wouldn’t overthink it, something to be said for power of suggestion

Marble

WKR
I would say I partially choose my career and live my day to day life with Elk hunting in mind. I exercise year round, watch Elk hunting videos primarily during cardio, and frequently, the last thoughts on my mind prior to going to bed are dreaming of Elk hunting.

I would say I am in the minority of people who spend as much time as I do prepping, planning, and working towards multiple Elk hunting trips each season.

I don't have a specific percentage of success over the last 20 plus years of Elk hunting, but there have only been 3 years I didn't kill an elk since 2001. Several of those years, I have killed three Elk.

Without Elk hunting, I would probably replace it with some other type of hunting. I have no idea what that would be. I love mule deer hunting, but it takes 2-3 deer to replace the meet from one mature bull.

This isn't really a hobby for me, as it's what I have built my life around because of the total enjoyment I get from it.

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I think "elk hunting" year round. But summer is really busy around our household. Lots of stuff to do, lots of things going on every week. I haven't even shot more than 1/2 dozen arrows since last hunting season.......first time ever for me to do that. I normally shoot all summer long. So "no" my life is not revolving around elk season.....but it's still always on my mind. I don't even have an elk tag yet, but my buddy has a good one so that will be the focus come September. And my daughter has a ML cow tag, so should be busy even if I don't get a tag.

As far as climbing and elevation gain......I really don't give it much thought. I know where I want to go, and I just go there.....whether that's up hill, down hill, across many ridges and draws, or wherever. Don't overthink it......just one step at a time, and do what you can do.

Fullfan

WKR
For me it started last year on Sept 29th, the last day on a mountain in Idaho. Learning from the mistakes I made. Being reminded that my fitness level is not where it needed to be. Every day I think about it...

I work out four days a week (used to be 5 but reduced days and increased mileage this year), and the days I’m not working out I’m shooting my bow.

In the car to and from work, I’m listening to podcasts are other elk related content like Chris Roe or ElkNut.

When I’m winding down at the end of the day, I’m usually eScouting.

OP
Oakman

Oakman

Lil-Rokslider
Thank you guys for helping me normalize my mindset.
Personally, I am an outdoor person, I grew up around nature, and it's activities, now as I get older, and kids growing up so fast, my focus shrunk to hunting and main focus is Elk. The other day my daughter said: Dad let me cheer you up, here is a new youtube video about hunting.

The way I look at it, is like everything else in life, dedication and well planning then plan execution. I believe it is a good thing to pass to our young ones.
May be the thread title should have been: How much time do you dedicate to elk hunting?

Thank you everyone for your valuable input, This is what makes this community great

Beendare

WKR
I look forward to it...but it's not all consuming.

I enjoy the prep and the talking about it with hunting buddies almost as much as the hunt itself. Hey, that why this forum has been so successful, Right? grin

I have learned that if I don't train for it- it can be miserable.

TheHammer

WKR
7days a week 365. Elk hunting is on the mind and effort daily is put in to set up for success on the mountain or locally. From diet choices to physical activity, education or heck even YouTube videos of hunts seeing if there is something I can learn or pick up. It’s literally an identity shift in hopes of continued growth and success.

For fellows who were awarded Elk tags, do you feel your life revolves around: plan -> review -> what if -> plan -> review -> what if.... is this normal?
Another question about hiking up, what is an average acceptable elevation gain for a healthy person? I know it all depends on acclimatization and fitness, but for someone who is not trail runner.

Thanks in advance
I have a top tier elk tag this year and while my life doesn’t revolve around it I have been obsessing pretty hard! 1500’ steep climb will definitely thin the herd of dudes not sure what you mean about acceptable elevation gain. If you live at sea level and your hunt is at 10k feet your gonna feel it for sure

OP
Oakman

Oakman

Lil-Rokslider
I have a top tier elk tag this year and while my life doesn’t revolve around it I have been obsessing pretty hard! 1500’ steep climb will definitely thin the herd of dudes not sure what you mean about acceptable elevation gain. If you live at sea level and your hunt is at 10k feet your gonna feel it for sure

How many feet up an average built hunter can go before feeling tired and low oxygen?
I researched it alot and really no set answer, majority say stop when you start feeling tired or breath fast. not sure, maybe 1-1.5K?

How many feet up an average built hunter can go before feeling tired and low oxygen?

There is no set answer. You're not going to find one. Could be three steps, or several hundred yards. Depends on each individual. But to lessen the chance of you, personally failing to ascend, start climbing now. I wouldn't dilly-dally, waiting for virtual answers on an internet forum.

yoopshoot

Lil-Rokslider
Not this year, unfortunately. And I suspect not for a few years. I feel like I’m running in sand chasing 3 kids around ….

But I still hope to fill my cow elk tag this fall

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bz_711

WKR
Life doesn't revolve around it...but I do give it some thought everyday...any time I need a mental escape from reality.

You cannot possibly be in too good of shape. IMO opinion nothing beats rucking with weight in the summer, and try to add hills. Overall if you have not done a lot of elevation gain with weight I think it's far easier to try and gain elevation in truck and sidehill even 2-3x the distance than to have to gain steep vert with weight.

That said - one of my best tips is park low and access untouched spots that require steep climb as large majority of elk hunters just are unable or unwilling.

Good Luck!

The_Jim

Lil-Rokslider
Life is definitely NOT revolving around any of my hunts coming up! With 4 kids and work there is not much time left for myself... It helps hunting the same areas, so you already have a good idea of what to do on day 1.

I'll second the 10,000' mark. I head to the mountains from Nebraska and I usually don't notice the altitude much until I hit 10K. At 8-9K I breathe a little heavy the first day and everything seems normal after that. Just listen to your body and you'll be fine.

LFC911

WKR
It is probably not healthy but I think of elk hunting every hour of the day. More like an obsession, OCD. I have made some good decisions because of it; quit drinking, eating better, and getting in better shape. Can't say that I would have done those things w/o it but I'm better for it. I fear the day when i can't go into the elk woods but that is what pronghorn and deer tags are for lol.

Cady Creek

Lil-Rokslider
"How many feet up an average built hunter can go before feeling tired and low oxygen?
I researched it alot and really no set answer, majority say stop when you start feeling tired or breath fast. not sure, maybe 1-1.5K?"
Like said above, there is no answer. Everyone is different. I'm a flatlander from Michigan too, and I just looked at some saved tracks from previous hunts. We average 8-10 miles and give or take 1500' of elevation gain per day. Some days more, some less. All depends, But I'm an old guy in my 50's.:rolleyes:

NMT

FNG
Lots of excitement and probably higher expectation, I know it is a slim chance, but I think try and fail is better than wishing I did.
We live in lower elevation around 600 - 800 feet, and no where for us to train for higher elevation,
not sure how hard it will be to move between 9-10K feet in the early season?
Hope meds (Acetazolamide) helps.
Get there a few days before your hunt and try to sleep a night or two at a higher elevation to let your body adapt. In my experience elevation sickness happens most often when people drive from low elevation to +6,000 ft and expect to put in a 8 mile day with 1,000 ft elevation gain the next day. Give yourself an extra day or two to ease into it rather than burn out and lose a day or two of your hunt from adjusting to the elevation.