Is this legal?

bucksnbirds

Lil-Rokslider
Came back to a spot on public that I frequently have elk hunted over the years. Water is hard to come by out here, but when you find it, the elk fall into your lap. I came to check one of my old spots yesterday which used to have a great seep and wallows which attracted many elk. I get there yesterday to find absolutely no water which has never happened. This place is about 50yds off of private, so I follow the old area it used to flow up hill only to find a 20 inch tinhorn has been installed in the ground vertically to collect the water, and pex pipe added to divert it about 100yds into private which a outfitter hunts. It has theoretically made a new seep which now attracts the elk to private. Is this common practice?

OP
bucksnbirds

bucksnbirds

Lil-Rokslider
I hope you took pics.
Report it
And I hope you disabled it.
I didn't touch it as I didn't know the legalities of it. I know it can't be for cattle as there is no fence and they moved it far enough inside the property line to pull the elk from the access of the public. This ranch is known for being shady.

Last edited:
Fish and Wildlife often handles environmental crimes, so they should not shy away from this. Most states also have an interagency coordination office that assists in everything from fires to grows; any Warden should know this. It is a positive that you did not mess with their industrial endevors, as that will be important to the investagation and charges if they can be proven (they may look for proof of purchase of what was used).

Marble

WKR
When I used to go raid Marijuana grows, the violations for growing were really nothing. What really had a lot of power behind it was water rights, environmental laws, and fish and games violations. Sp I would report it tonth3 fish and game.

Take pictures from your seep to where it goes. If you have older photos if what the seep used to look like, add those to the mix.

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk

A ranch getting investigated for diverted water for potential illegal grow operations could really put a damper on an outfitters season 😉

Yea thats kinda shady.

I am curious though. How far onto private did you go while checking things out?

Is it BLM land? There are some interesting riparian water right rules. Not in any way saying that would apply, but there are a few different allowances for bordering private land to utilize water that is on public* land.

Edit: accidentally said private land instead of private.

Last edited:
Yea thats kinda shady.

He said if flowed down hill to a wallow area, on public land. It was diverted from origin area to private. Sounds like he did not go onto private at all but could see it from public.

cnelk

WKR
Last year I found an area where a landowner fenced off 7 acres of BLM that included a stream and pond. Even had it posted.

It took several emails to the BLM office to get their response and even then all they had the landowner do was take the signs down.

7mm-08

WKR
seemed like a fair question
Very fair and entirely relevant question. I would hope the OP would decline to respond considering it could potentially put him in a trick box that might end up with documenting a trespass that could be pursued by the owner of the private property on an open forum.

OP
bucksnbirds

bucksnbirds

Lil-Rokslider
Yea thats kinda shady.

I didn't have to get onto private. The seep installment is on public and you can follow the pex pipe down 100yds into private and see it come out of the ground on private and dump into a barrel cut in half and overflow

OP
bucksnbirds

bucksnbirds

Lil-Rokslider
Is it BLM land? There are some interesting riparian water right rules. Not in any way saying that would apply, but there are a few different allowances for bordering private land to utilize water that is on private land.
It is blm