Is this Kryptek Sheep hunt film satire?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trial153

WKR
What a shit show.

More and more I have come to the conclusion that all the auction tags and the industry that has been built around it has done more harm then good. There is no dollar figure that is worth the disenfranchisement these sow within the hunting community.

Last edited:
After reading all these comments, I'm not sure I can bring myself to watch the video. Sounds too cringey.

JeffP_Or

WKR
Longgood lost his hunting privileges for 3 years in Nov 2016 but I guess is able to participate in this 2019 hunt???
According to The Oregonian article, his guide cert was a two year suspension so that had already expired. The three year hunting suspension was most likely either:
  • retroactive back to 2014 or
  • as a guide he was 'technically' not hunting.
I've read other cases where "participation" in hunting/fishing is the suspension. Regardless, the crime was in Oregon and the sheep hunt was in Idaho. I'm not certain when the multi-state pacts were in place that we have now.

I chuckle [in a non-enthusiastic manner] when I see the pics of the him and the big mule deer on the websites. Time served to society and all that....they continue to get a lot of business and adds run in conservation group newsletters/notices and in game & fish regulation booklets so all is forgiven/paid.

To me, all these little things all add up to the experience/actions demonstrated in that video. Nobody would have taken that rifle from me to hand off without me offering first. To each their own.

Last edited:

Carr5vols

WKR
Is there not Kryptek owners or employees on this forum, that should address this? This is causing a lot of bad publicity in this community. No more Kryptek purchases for me.

Mtnboy

WKR
Is there not Kryptek owners or employees on this forum, that should address this? This is causing a lot of bad publicity in this community. No more Kryptek purchases for me.

I've had several personal interactions with the owner of Kryptek that was in that video. Let's just say, if he were to come here and defend that video it probably wouldn't help their cause.

He'll be at Sheep Show, parading around with the big wigs, 3 sheets to the wind most the time. I'll drop $50 into a GoFundMe if someone confronts him on this and videos it.....

Mtnboy

WKR
I'd call it bonus revenue, not lost revenue. Those animals have lived just fine for thousands of years before folks started throwing money out there the last 25.
I suppose you are right....kinda.....what you are ignoring is the negative impact humans have had i.e. building homes in their habitat, building roads in their habitat, introducing domestic sheep that bring disease that kill them.....love it or hate it, the revenue from these tags DOES go towards keeping Sheep on the mountain and offsetting a lot of the negative impacts humans have had on them.

I'll say the same for Doug Sayer, love him or hate him.....he and his wife have spent MILLIONS of their own dollars on Sheep Conservation. Did they get some premium tags out of the deal? Sure they did. But their financial contributions to sheep are likely more than all of us in this thread bagging on them have done combined.

*Just playing a little devils advocate, flame away*

OP
wind gypsy
The one tag they sell in south dakota generates more revenue for sheep than all other sales combined. It goes 100% to the big horn sheep. I dont know other states but with out that our sheep would not stay around. $561,000.00 for sheep the last 2 years i would say is a fair trade off .

Unless it changed recently, that is false. They only dedicate $85k annually from auction proceeds to dedicated sheep funding, the rest gets dumped into the SD GFP funds for statewide projects which is BS IMO. To your point that the sheep hunts have not always existed in the dakotas and in the not too distant past sheep were extirpated - Money raised by sheep shouldn't go to pheasant/deer/waterfowl habitat which damn well should fund themselves in SD.

sndmn11

Well Known pink hat wearing Rokslider
*Just playing a little devils advocate, flame away*
I am doing the same.

I shake my head when I hear people use "lost revenue" as a reason for wildlife management decisions. Animals don't spend money, and money tends to lead to unnatural things and dependency. I have often wondered if efforts to restore/improve/reintroduce are taken too far, and if an animal needs to rely on humans to survive somewhere, is it really wild?

Status
Not open for further replies.