Is There Booze In Your Pack?

• Yes

Votes: 32 34.4%
  • No

Votes: 61 65.6%

• Total voters

TEmbry

WKR
I like some Makers Mark,, I pour it into a Gator Aid bottle. I rarely drink, but I do enjoy a sip after the hunt is over, while we sit around the fire and reminisce about the hunt and enjoy each others company. Everything in moderation, having had an alcoholic father,, I can see it both ways and when hunting with folks that run a dry camp I respect that too.

I'd normally agree with you on the Makers but ever since they sold out to Japan the only bourbon ill drink now is Woodford Reserve (better anyway).

But along that note, I'm 1 month sober this Saturday and plan to keep it that way for a while. Didn't develop a problem by any means just wanted to step away from alcohol completely and reinvent how I have fun/not needing a drink in my hand in social situations. It's been refreshing to say the least!

dotman

WKR
I always take a little something. No way a shot a night hurts a thing but it sure is a great end to a hard day. I'm not packing a 5th or gallon so weight really isn't an issue.

Day hunts I never do, but anytime I'm not gonna come out the same day that I kill something a little woodford reserve sneaks itself into the pack, most of the time it's one of those tiny 2 shot bottles, but If there is a couple of us a pint may make it in there. My favorite meal of the year is backstraps and Bourbon by the campfire. If your hunting buddies are getting hammered you should probably get new ones.

OP
Where's Bruce?
Day hunts I never do, but anytime I'm not gonna come out the same day that I kill something a little woodford reserve sneaks itself into the pack, most of the time it's one of those tiny 2 shot bottles, but If there is a couple of us a pint may make it in there. My favorite meal of the year is backstraps and Bourbon by the campfire. If your hunting buddies are getting hammered you should probably get new ones.

I'm with you. I strictly bowhunt (although this year I am taking my first alpine fishing trip to develop better woodsman skills) so I am either alone or with one other person. Don't carry enough to get blasted but once my animal is down I love my victory cigar and drink. If you're getting hammered in the backcountry...then you have a problem. If it bothers you that others have a belt or three in the backcountry...then you had a problem.

Last edited:

Beastmode

WKR
A couple airplane bottles of crown for a victory shot with a buddy. Only for when we get back to our tents after the packout. We don't drink them unless one of us kills, or both kill.

Some years we haul them around a lot until we drink them. :banghead:

boom

WKR
never.

i do try to sneak it into my partner's pack..that one year, i hiked in with a recovering alcoholic..awkward!

birdman1

FNG
I usually pack a beer when scouting in the summer. Sometimes have one in my pack on overnight hunting trips. Always if I bring horses(perfect to even out pack box weight!!)

chindits

WKR
For me almost never, but I did cache some hooch on a scout the week before season for some buddies of mine that were going to help with my 76 hunt. We hunted a different drainage and I harvested opening day. It took me 2 1/2 hours one way by foot and dirtbike to get those bottles back to where we were. I had to keep their morale up for the pack out and I didn't want to litter, damn the luck.

2rocky

WKR
Liquor is a low priority item. I'd rather be in a Dry camp than one without ENOUGH liquor. It really amazed me in Elk camp how much booze 9 guys can go through.

When I am by myself I don't pack booze or beer. In a group situation someone usually packs a "bottle of brown" to toast a successful hunt.

TD1

FNG
Maybe a few beers in base camp. No alcohol in the pack or spike camp.

I do carry a good cigar or two though. At all times.

AZ Vince

WKR
In a basecamp I'll have, maybe, a six pack of beer but that's about it.
Drank two beers in camp, in WY, in 2012 and two in AZ in 2013. Not much of a drinker and don't get drunk. I don't tolerate drunks well but if someone wants a drink, and can handle their ETOH, I don't have a problem with it.

Ridge Runner

Lil-Rokslider
Usually, nice to have a plastic pint to help relax around the fire in the evening. Even better if it's some good scotch.

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
Wow, some of you are wound up tight...as an adult I can manage the weight and I can manage the alcohol.

You should here what those folks in Colorado are carrying in with them! Should be lighter weight though...

I don't see myself as uptight at all. I love to go out and have a good time. I also like having a few drinks if I'm truck camping/ hunting.

If guys want to do it, I have no problem with it whatsoever. I'm just not going to waste my energy and time packing booze into the backcountry on my back.

If one of my hunting partners wants to bring a celebratory shot, that's fine. If they want to sit around a fire and drink, they probably aren't as serious about why we're there. I have plenty of people to hunt with so I'll continue to be picky.

JeremiahH

WKR
I am usually alone on my trips so I never carry alcohol in those instances. However if I'm with a buddy or there are a few of us on an extended trip,
I'll bring a few small singles of Morgan's spiced rum and a few packets of cider. Especially nice on a cool night after someone get's something down and it's relax and celebrate time.

lchavez

Lil-Rokslider
I usually run with everclear. Its my alcohol fuel for stove, antiseptic and of course booze.