Is there an advantage to mil over MOA?

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
This explains it easily and far better than I can.

He gets the application wrong, radian coresponds to arc length. You have to solve for the base of the isosceles triangle to get the linear measurement. You can look at the diagram to see that a straight line between two points will be shorter than an arc between the same points.

To solve for the base, given we know the legs and angle
b=2xSxsin(0.5xT)
b= base
S= length of sides of equal length
T= angle at apex

3.6 is derived by

1 rad at 100 yards has an arc of 100 yards. 1 mrad is 1/1000th of a rad. 100/1000=0.1. there are 36 inches in 1 yard, 36x0.1=3.6 inches for the arc length between two points, the arc length must be longer than the straight line.

Glad it helped. In my, average at best, level of shooting, the issue I see with moa is the rounding down from 1.047 to 1. With that same distance and drop, you'd dial 9.07, or realistically 9 moa. That extra .5 is a 2" difference at 400 yds. Is it enough to matter? Maybe. Say you make a shot 5" low. You're likely still getting lung towards the bottom. Now add in that extra 2" and maybe you're under the lung. Longer you go, the more off you are. Do the actual math and there's no difference.
I’m trying to figure out what you’re saying here or your math. I’m completely aware of 1.047 for accurate MOA. But the part about being off by 2” at 400 yards. From what starting point out to 400 yards are you having a 2” difference due to going from a 1.047 MOA to SMOA of 1.0 MOA?
Difference between MOA and SMOA at 1000 yards is where it would start to matter.

Last edited:
Use what makes sense for you. I’m not getting too bent out of shape about what other people use. For me…it’s a simple choice….MOA for hunting and shooting small targets when there is not a time limitation. MIL gets the nod for target shooting and movers. wildly enough, people feel the need to sling shade on others for their choice. I guess people haven’t heard about rangefinders and dope charts or ballistic solvers in the year 2024. Pick one, gentlemen, and go have fun