Is the Sitka Ambient a must have?

OP
E
Sitka discontinued the Arrowhead line, so whatever is out there now is what’s left.

We got these jackets at work, perhaps my favorite piece of clothing I’ve been issued.

It had a place in my ruck 100% of the time and I have spent a ton of time wearing it. The face is a little heavier duty than the Ambient (30D vs 20D if my memory serves) but it’s pretty close otherwise. Can’t say enough good things about the piece.
How was the sizing and sleeve length!?

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Is the insulation the same?!

It's very similar, but not the same- the MDWi (as did some earlier active pieces by Sitka) uses Polartec Alpha Direct, the Ambient uses Primaloft Evolve. I've looked at them closely and they are very similar, very :)

woods89

WKR
North Face has a new hybrid Summit Series Ventrix piece that is really outstanding. Active insulation across the front body panels and upper back, but the lower back and inner arms are made of nylon softshell with no insulation to accommodate for a backpack and active wear. Lightweight and an overall outstanding jacket for regulating body temperature when active.

View attachment 506286

View attachment 506287

Now this looks promising! I've been wanting some company to build a jacket without insulation in the back for quite some time!

OP
E
It's very similar, but not the same- the MDWi (as did some earlier active pieces by Sitka) uses Polartec Alpha Direct, the Ambient uses Primaloft Evolve. I've looked at them closely and they are very similar, very :)
With the more durable 30d face fabric, and with pockets.... do you think it's worth pulling the trigger on the mdwi even though the ambient is on sale locally?

If only I could try one on to make sure I get the right size.. these gorilla arms don't go with my short little torso very well lol

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I've found performance to be pretty on par with each other (both solid), just depends on how important the features the MDWi has over the Ambient are.

Sizing seems to be pretty similar as well, the MDWi is full zip that I find helps donning/removing.

sconnieVLP

Lil-Rokslider
How was the sizing and sleeve length!?

With the more durable 30d face fabric, and with pockets.... do you think it's worth pulling the trigger on the mdwi even though the ambient is on sale locally?

If only I could try one on to make sure I get the right size.. these gorilla arms don't go with my short little torso very well lol

I have a XL and it fits me well. For reference, I’m 6’2” and have a short torso with long arms (31” draw length).

dtrkyman

WKR
I have limited use with mine. Nice jacket, I am a Medium and the sleeve length is long, enough so the cuffs bunch up slightly, I am 5'10" and other Sitka medium fits me like it's tailor made. I really hate when anything bunches up anywhere on me!

Not as warm while still as I would like but definitely nice on the move. No way it is a good outer piece unless you have no chance of encountering brush or thick trees.

I really like it but those couple down falls have me un decided on keeping it, going to wear it again next week duck hunting and we shall see.

It is super light and comfortable, the sleeve length may be it's demise for me.

OP
E
I have a XL and it fits me well. For reference, I’m 6’2” and have a short torso with long arms (31” draw length).
If you don't mind me asking, what's your bodyweight? We have the same specs so you'd be the most helpful for me

OP
E
I've found performance to be pretty on par with each other (both solid), just depends on how important the features the MDWi has over the Ambient are.

Sizing seems to be pretty similar as well, the MDWi is full zip that I find helps donning/removing.
Maybe even thought I'd love pockets- the sale price of the ambient might be worth it

SMOKYMTN

WKR
Now this looks promising! I've been wanting some company to build a jacket without insulation in the back for quite some time!
It came out last year and I’ve been wearing it as an everyday/scouting/fishing piece all year. I give it 2 thumbs up. The Ventrix insulation is outstanding and this jacket does an excellent job of regulating body temperature. I’m warm when it’s cold and I’m static, but do not overheat when moving. The nylon side and back panels are nearly identical to the First Lite Corrugate material. It’s a nylon/spandex blend and is tough as nails. There’s still insulation on the back, just less. There is no insulation on the lower back where the waist belt of a pack would sit, as well as the rib cage and inner arm area that typically rubs together when active. Those are all nylon softshell, high wear areas

It’s a very well thought out piece and built nicely.

Mark at EXO

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Just to add more sizing reference... I am 6' 2", fairly long arms, and 180lbs. I wish the Ambient came in MD Tall. The LG Tall is what I needed for sleeve length, but it is fairly baggy in the torso (and also fairly long the torso).

I do love the performance/versatility of this piece.

Gman12

Lil-Rokslider
I don't have one but my buddy does and he loves it. It seems like Sitka's version of Kuiu's Kenai which I have and love. Both are very lightweight, extremely comfortable and warm for their weight.

Have you had much pilling/pulling of the face fabric on the MDWi? Especially under straps? I think it’s more durable than the 20D Ambient, side by side, but you’ve had far more experience with both, than I. Lots of pictures out there of the Ambient and shoulder straps / packs not mixing well.

OP
E
I haven't noticed any pilling on either- yet anyways.
I bought the MDWI last night based on your review of the piece, the fact that it came in multicam, and it was on sale for less than an ambient. I can't imagine the 30d being less durable than 20d, and since I can be hard on gear I'm hoping it holds up. I'm still a sucker for fleece due to the Comfort and longevity of it, and I'm certain I'll end up with more mid layers.... but I'm really excited

Last edited:
OP
E
I ran an impromptu little test this week on two of my favorite mid layers. I did assault bike intervals on Tuesday and again on Thursday. 10x 90 seconds hard at 80+rpms with 1 min rest between. I Ran a core lw hoody, and for test 1- I ran the heavy hoody on top. Test 2 I ran the ligjtweight core and Midweight zip t. My garage is 37 degrees right now so I started off cold. I was overheated by round 3 with the heavy hoody. I kept it on to sweat it our, and by round 5 I was soaked throughout my chest and low back. With the midweight I actually made it through to round 8 before I got sweaty enough to be uncomfortable. After finishing each, I set a timer and checked the dryness of each piece while I wore them and walked around the house. The heavy was still noticeably damp 45 min after the intervals. The core LW under it felt dry within 15. The midwright was still noticeably still little damp at 20 min, but by 30 min was completely dry along with the lw under it. Obviously not scientific enough to be concrete- but I'm more impressed with the mdiweight than I was before. I bought it by accident at the reeds outlet when it was on sale. Saw the price Tag of 45 $ and though it was another heavy hoody since it was on the rack between a bunch of other sitka pieces. When I grabbed it I handed it off to my wife to look through more pieces and didn't even look at it since it was marked as a heavy hoody in size L. Got it home and it was mismarked. It's an xl midweight nd the tag that was put on it was a large heavy hoody. I think the tags had been knocked off or something and someone had put it on the wrong item.

now heres the cool thing- I think for high activity and especially warmer weather it's actually more awesome than I gave it credit for. I was impressed with its breathability and lack of that sweaty feel while I was doing the intervals. For a cost effective mid layer for high activity it might be a really good choice. Not that I need more sitka, but I gained more appreciation for that piece after putting it to hard use.

Rufus

Lil-Rokslider
I ran an impromptu little test this week on two of my favorite mid layers. I did assault bike intervals on Tuesday and again on Thursday. 10x 90 seconds hard at 80+rpms with 1 min rest between. I Ran a core lw hoody, and for test 1- I ran the heavy hoody on top. Test 2 I ran the ligjtweight core and Midweight zip t. My garage is 37 degrees right now so I started off cold. I was overheated by round 3 with the heavy hoody. I kept it on to sweat it our, and by round 5 I was soaked throughout my chest and low back. With the midweight I actually made it through to round 8 before I got sweaty enough to be uncomfortable. After finishing each, I set a timer and checked the dryness of each piece while I wore them and walked around the house. The heavy was still noticeably damp 45 min after the intervals. The core LW under it felt dry within 15. The midwright was still noticeably still little damp at 20 min, but by 30 min was completely dry along with the lw under it. Obviously not scientific enough to be concrete- but I'm more impressed with the mdiweight than I was before. I bought it by accident at the reeds outlet when it was on sale. Saw the price Tag of 45 $ and though it was another heavy hoody since it was on the rack between a bunch of other sitka pieces. When I grabbed it I handed it off to my wife to look through more pieces and didn't even look at it since it was marked as a heavy hoody in size L. Got it home and it was mismarked. It's an xl midweight nd the tag that was put on it was a large heavy hoody. I think the tags had been knocked off or something and someone had put it on the wrong item.

now heres the cool thing- I think for high activity and especially warmer weather it's actually more awesome than I gave it credit for. I was impressed with its breathability and lack of that sweaty feel while I was doing the intervals. For a cost effective mid layer for high activity it might be a really good choice. Not that I need more sitka, but I gained more appreciation for that piece after putting it to hard use.
Thanks for sharing that. Great actual use case info. -Rufus