Is the 300 WSM Dying?

slowelk

WKR
Brass is hard to find, quality loaded ammo even more so. No need to argue the merits, as it's widely known to be an accurate, easy to tune cartridge.

I'm asking because I have a magnum Tikka bolt and receiver needing a purpose, and the 300 WSM is what I'm inclined to, but don't want to hitch my wagon to a dying horse.

Maybe if it isn't dying, it's just becoming more niche.

Smithb9841

Lil-Rokslider
Just my opinion but after the last 2 years of struggling to find ammo for mine I would only recommend if you reload. And if you do buy brass ahead of time and stock up.

OP
slowelk

slowelk

WKR
Just my opinion but after the last 2 years of struggling to find ammo for mine I would only recommend if you reload. And if you do buy brass ahead of time and stock up.

Agreed! I have notifications setup various places for Norma and ADG brass. I am thinking 200 pieces should cover me. Thoughts?

hodgeman

WKR
When you say you have a magnum bolt and receiver, is it a WSM bolt or a standard WM bolt? They aren't the same and will pretty much limit you to whatever bolt face you have.

I really like the WSM, it's become a pain to feed in the last couple of years...but I've been using it since 2006 so I have enough ammo and bras to likely last me the rest of my days.

That said, when I bought a new rifle last year...I got a 300WM due to it simply being easier to source ammo and components.

Its odd... during the ammo crunch of the post Sandy Hook era...the 300WSM was the only rifle I owned that I could buy factory ammo for over a period of a couple of years. Currently, unless you're rolling with a .223 or 308... you're likely out of luck on the shelves.

I seem to find it here and there but the manufactures are all over the place. Its hard to stay consistent year to year with out reloading and I hate to waste my ammo resighting the rifle in every other box. That is probably the case with most calibers though.

OP
slowelk

slowelk

WKR
When you say you have a magnum bolt and receiver, is it a WSM bolt or a standard WM bolt? They aren't the same and will pretty much limit you to whatever bolt face you have.

I really like the WSM, it's become a pain to feed in the last couple of years...but I've been using it since 2006 so I have enough ammo and bras to likely last me the rest of my days.

That said, when I bought a new rifle last year...I got a 300WM due to it simply being easier to source ammo and components.

Its odd... during the ammo crunch of the post Sandy Hook era...the 300WSM was the only rifle I owned that I could buy factory ammo for over a period of a couple of years. Currently, unless you're rolling with a .223 or 308... you're likely out of luck on the shelves.

It's a .532 bolt face which does everything from 6.5 PRC to 300 win mag (and others).

I was a little too young to be impacted by the Sandy Hook ammo crisis, but the pandemic and Biden impact seems to be easing. Online retailers regularly have what I'm looking for, but I'm not doing anything outside of the mainstream cartridges.

BBob

WKR
300 WSM .535 rim
300 WM .532 rim
RSUAM’s .534 rim
Never heard of any magnum boltface bolt not working interchangeably for any of these. At least none I’ve ever messed with.

NSI

WKR

This is baloney. The only possible difference between the two would be bolt stop length.

-J

I don’t think it’s dying. It is however very hard to find ammo and components. Until everything settles back in it will prob continue to be that way. I started reloading post sandy hook and it’s paid dividends. Anymore I try not to buy a new caliber unless I have all the reloading components first or a shit ton of loaded ammo.

Smenning

Lil-Rokslider
Norma factory loaded bondstrike 180’s have been available for me at local Murdochs and on their website. Decent accuracy and good brass. Besides that it’s been sparse for factory.

OP
slowelk

slowelk

WKR
Norma factory loaded bondstrike 180’s have been available for me at local Murdochs and on their website. Decent accuracy and good brass. Besides that it’s been sparse for factory.

I've also set up notifications for this ammo with plans to use that brass. "Break in" barrel, reuse brass. I don't want to hunt with a bonded bullet.

Firemedic710

Lil-Rokslider
At the beginning of the pandemic I was about to start a build with the goal being short and light. I was pondering whether to go 300 wsm or wm. I decided to wait on the build until this ammo shortage ended. It’s been 3 years since I saw a box of 300wsm. Living in Alaska ordering ammo, powder or primers is not a easy feat. The wm is looking like the best option these days

jimh406

WKR
I think it must be a temporary thing. The last time I looked it was readily available online.

Now, it's fairly hard to find online. I'm wondering if manufacturers produce ammo only some time of the year. Fwiw, https://normashooting.com/ had it in stock last February.

Ammoseek lists several people with ammo in stock. Someone reported that there are some not so good dealers on Ammoseek, so keep that in mind.

BjornF16

WKR
Well…it is dying for me. I’ve got a Sako Finnlight in 300 WSM that I don’t expect to use unless guide required a .30 cal magnum. Otherwise I’ll be using one of the Creedmoors

TheHammer

WKR
After recent finds with my wsm, almost makes me regret the effort with my wm. I use unknown munitions. Do a load development, find* what the rifle likes and buy how ever many 100s of rounds you’d expect to last you and the rifle.

Megalodon

Lil-Rokslider

Been covered by others, but just so nobody else is confused... WRONG!

OP
slowelk

slowelk

WKR
Well…it is dying for me. I’ve got a Sako Finnlight in 300 WSM that I don’t expect to use unless guide required a .30 cal magnum. Otherwise I’ll be using one of the Creedmoors

I love my creedmoor as much as the next guy (that's willing to admit it), but I have an Alaska trip on the horizon, and I'm not taking my creedmoor.

fmyth

WKR
I think it must be a temporary thing. The last time I looked it was readily available online.

Now, it's fairly hard to find online. I'm wondering if manufacturers produce ammo only some time of the year. Fwiw, https://normashooting.com/ had it in stock last February.

Ammoseek lists several people with ammo in stock. Someone reported that there are some not so good dealers on Ammoseek, so keep that in mind.
Ammoseek has a review feature much like Amazon. I've purchased dozens of times over the last couple of years from multiple vendors and have never have a problem.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-12-27 at 3.12.11 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-12-27 at 3.12.11 PM.png
    22.4 KB · Views: 49
  • Screen Shot 2022-12-27 at 3.12.00 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-12-27 at 3.12.00 PM.png
    194.6 KB · Views: 49

Smenning

Lil-Rokslider
I've also set up notifications for this ammo with plans to use that brass. "Break in" barrel, reuse brass. I don't want to hunt with a bonded bullet.
Preaching to the choir…. One day I’ll get UM to load up some 200.2 bergers