Is the 270 Win going the way of the 280, and slowly dying?

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Shoot2HuntU
There are dozens or hundreds of videos of people coming west for spring bear and missing long shots that prove this out. Pisses me off every time I see it. Lazy people not willing to close the distance.

Yes. And ironically a very common them is Vortex/Leupold/Zeiss scopes; Christianson, Fierce, or “custom” rifles all changed in large magnums (save some 6.5’s); horrible body positions even prone; no, or very limited and poor communication between the shooter and spotter. Frequently a full revolution off on their elevation turret. Little to no ability to correct off the miss(es). And very frequently “my scope must have got bumped” statements.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Shoot2HuntU
What would you recommend?

Something that is structured, focused, and proven for field shooting under time and mental stress. Not a rebranded “sniper” or PRS course; not a sit at the bench and giggle cause you hit a 30” plate at 1,000 yards, nor a tripod shooting course, etc.

Marbles

WK Donkey
Classified Approved
Something that is structured, focused, and proven for field shooting under time and mental stress. Not a rebranded “sniper” or PRS course; not a sit at the bench and giggle cause you hit a 30” plate at 1,000 yards, nor a tripod shooting course, etc.
So, nuts and butter, other than Shoot2Hunt, do you know of any courses like this one could look into?

I will not torture anyone by making them correct this hot mess of a position, only asking for others.

IMG_3862.jpeg

Though looking at it, I probably need to move the butt closer to centerline and stop pretending it is the 5 pound, steel butt, 30-06 I once used, old scars heal slow I guess.

Last edited:

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Shoot2HuntU
So, nuts and butter, other than Shoot2Hunt, do you know of any courses like this one could look into?

I do not know of any others I would spend money on- all I have been too, and all that others I trust have been to, are the types of courses I said not to.

I will not torture anyone by making them correct this hot mess of a position, only asking for others.

View attachment 741254

Though looking at it, I probably need to move the butt closer to centerline and stop pretending it is the 5 pound, still butt, 30-06 I once used, old scars heal slow I guess.

That can absolutely be a neutral position.

Southern Lights

Lil-Rokslider
I didn’t say that Appleseed was “bad”. I said “what they teach for body positioning and sling use is not good for on demand field shooting and spotting your own impacts/misses”

You can use the information from Appleseed to apply into field positions without a sling. The shooter can decide when the sling helps or hurts. I don't use offset prone vs. straight behind the rifle usually, but in some weird places I have done it. 9 out of 10 times I don't sling up, but 1 out of 10 times it is useful.

The Appleseed course is good because it emphasizes the importance of NPOA. If the shooter doesn't understand NPOA, they are not going to shoot well no matter what position they use.

The poster was also asking about reasonably priced courses near him, and Appleseed at least has that. I've done quite a few LR courses and I found Appleseed information was far more practical for field shooting than at least half the much more expensive courses. A lot of LR courses I've done spend about 90% of their time shooting from prone which is actually the least used position I ever find myself using for hunting.

Last edited:

wyosam

WKR
Speaking of which, I was just speaking with a guy that's headed to Alaska this fall and he said that he's "prepared" and even planning to shoot his moose at 1,000 or 1,200 yards. I was like; "Really? Is the allure of the Instagram photo post so all-consuming that you can't have fun and actually stalk an animal, fair and square?"

Not to mention it’s probably the easiest to stalk of big game animals. Not reason to shoot one beyond a couple hundred yards.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk