Is the 270 Win going the way of the 280, and slowly dying?

270 win is my fav of all the 20th century cartridges. A 600 yard cartridge, ahead of its time by the numbers that matter and largely misunderstood in an era of ‘just throw a 180 out of a 30 cal and you’re good’. I don’t see it going anywhere now that masses are more ballistically fluent and it will have a continual love that will keep it going longer than many of the 20th century cartridges and even early 21st century stuff.

And ya, tough to beat it in a Tikka, already have the long action and long action magazine anyway...a great matchup.

This is only my speculation . . . it might be the beginning of the end for the 270 win. IF the industry can support the new 6.5, 6.8, and 7mm modernized cartridges with ammo, components, and chamberings with the rifles, then there really won't be a reason for a shooter to chose the 270. You'll still be able to find plenty of 270 ammo on the shelves to keep feeding the millions of 270 rifles still being used, but once the heirs of those 270 owners get the itch for something new, it won't be in that. Moreover, those still shooting 270 will ever more become the one box or less per year buyer, which will be tempting for ammo manufacturers to discontinue it.

Just my prediction.

Johnny Tyndall

Lil-Rokslider
Around here it sure seems like it's a pretty low priority for the ammo manufacturers. Back to a dozen+ choices for 308 and 30-06, lucky to have one or two for 270 and they're all soft points. I emailed Nosler to ask about the 140 accubond and they said they're way down the list and months out. I still like mine though.

Southern Lights

Lil-Rokslider
I got a 270 by chance because I bought a used rifle in it and that's just what it was. I had never wanted one in the past as it just seemed so boring, but I was wrong. Boring is awesome. Why is the boring 270 so good?

- Plenty of cheap ammo for practice and premium ammo for most all game.
- Practice trumps fanciest new calibres.
- Easy to reload for if you want, but factory ammo is often very good.
- My friends have smoked their 6.5 PRC barrels in less than 1000 rounds where 270 can go many thousands.
- 130gr. bullet does an honest 3100-3200fps without any special tricks and high pressures.
- It's accurate and fast. Hornady superperformance in my rifle shoots 3155 into 1/2MOA.
- Great for LR work. I use it for wallaby culls out to 800+ meters.
- Newer ELD-X heavier bullets have wind performance so close to many 6.5s that it doesn't matter.
- Plenty of cheap ammo for practice. Practice trumps fancy calibres again.
- Can load up to 150s for sectional density performance on par with 180gr. .30 caliber but much faster velocities.
- Hits HARD. I drop everything from wallabies to large Reds and they hit the ground like a sack of potatoes. I went out on a cull hunt with my mates last year and everyone knew when I was the one that made the hit on an animal. They just drop.
- Manageable recoil for the power and flat trajectory.
- I can go into any store and find 270 ammo, and usually a good selection.
- Works as a varmint calibre up to wapiti (elk) with one rifle.

The more I shoot the 270 the more I realize Jack O'Connor was right all those years ago. It just flat out works, hits hard, and is accurate at range. Take that with the availability of ammo and it's just a fantastic all around caliber.

Last edited:

Southern Lights

Lil-Rokslider
Of Jack's books what one would, you recommend the most? I have never read his material, but know that his has quite a following and loved the 270
I started reading O'Connor after I bought my 270 and heard he was a big proponent of it. I wanted to see what he had to say. All of his books are good, but these are ones to start with:

"The Hunting Rifle"
"The Rifle Book (later editions)"

If you didn't know the publication date, you'd swear the books were written today. The same arguments over caliber, etc. have been going on for decades. Some of the information on scopes is dated, but the ins and outs of rifles, calibers, hunting stories etc. are all still relevant and funny. O'Connor was an excellent writer and his love of the 270 came from many years of practical experience sheep hunting, etc.

- I can go into any store and find 270 ammo, and usually a good selection.
How is the ammo selection in NZ? I’m assuming your talking about finding ammo in NZ, and was just wondering if it’s as hard to
Find ammo there as it has been in the US?

Southern Lights

Lil-Rokslider
How is the ammo selection in NZ? I’m assuming your talking about finding ammo in NZ, and was just wondering if it’s as hard to
Find ammo there as it has been in the US?
It's like anywhere that it can be good or harder depending on what is going on. When the US is on a buying frenzy then supply in NZ gets harder. Then eventually a lull happens and inventory rebuilds in NZ just in time for US to go on a frenzy again so the inventory buffer in NZ depletes for the cycle to repeat.

You can avoid this by using common calibres that are generally worth a store stocking and having rifles in those calibres so you can rotate around if needed. So basically your .223/.308 is usually widely available. Then you have other most common calibres here which are .270, 7mm08 and .243. Magnums like 7mmRM and 300WM have their fans. 6.5x55 is pretty well represented in NZ as a lot of post-war rifles were brought home. American calibres like 30-06 are not popular in NZ, but still well stocked so if you have a 30-06 you can avoid shortages simply because most places will have the ammo, but most kiwis don't shoot 30-06 enough to buy it all so it's almost always widely available.

Here is a national chain to get an idea what is available and prices:

Last edited:
270win will be discontinued shortly after the all new 6.5 FLATBRIM is released.
6.5 SJSM (skinny jeans short mag)

that's the rumor anyways (from a super reliable source obviously) the ONLY cartridge not subject to wind or coriolis effect, and also the first green, 100% electric propelled bullet (EPB)

the rapid covid test in the primer is a nice modern touch too... sucks you HAVE to use beard oil prior to running it through the sizing die

ZAK13

Lil-Rokslider
I was toying with using the 110 Barnes TTSX, at the moment I have been using the 129 gr LRX. How do you find that the 110 gr works on big game like elk? Does it pass through? Also how fast are you loading this round? On paper, Barnes suggests that you can obtain 3500 ft/s, that is fast!
Out of my 22" barrel, the Barnes 110gr TTSX is exiting at just a little over 3300fps. I've only recovered one bullet so far in the years since I started to use the 110gr TTSX. I only have a few 110gr. TTSX left and have been trying to find more, but have been unsuccessful, most likely going to switch to either the 129gr. LRX or 130gr TTSX, as those seem more available right now. Have also been playing around with Hammer bullets and so far getting good results on paper, haven't tried them hunting yet.

CoStick

WKR
It is interesting there is a Hornady ammo thread going on about waiting for 7mm precision hunter to hit shelves, seems Hornady did .270 first at least plenty in my area. Even small boutique like Unknown munitions loads for the .270. It seems some people don’t like the .270 but it certainly isn’t going anywhere.

Southern Lights

Lil-Rokslider
Out of my 22" barrel, the Barnes 110gr TTSX is exiting at just a little over 3300fps. I've only recovered one bullet so far in the years since I started to use the 110gr TTSX. I only have a few 110gr. TTSX left and have been trying to find more, but have been unsuccessful, most likely going to switch to either the 129gr. LRX or 130gr TTSX, as those seem more available right now. Have also been playing around with Hammer bullets and so far getting good results on paper, haven't tried them hunting yet.
My hunting mate uses 129 LRX and they are great bullets at extended range. Really accurate. At a range where velocity lets them open they put down anything they touch. Other guys use the 110 TTSX and report outstanding results on all game as well. I have some 129s and will make a load once I work through my 130gr. SSTs (which also work well and hit like a hand grenade).

The mono metal bullets with 270 velocities are a great match. Mono metals need speed to work and 270 delivers it without any drama. The 270 sending a piece of metal downrange at 3100+ fps is no joke. Hits hard and does the business without any fanfare. Just works.

vonb

Lil-Rokslider
.270 isn’t going anywhere. 6.5 PRC might go away. 6.5 Creed is here to stay.

Nomosendero

Lil-Rokslider
270 sales will drop along with 30-06 but they will always be around.
There are not many long range bullet offerings but that is growing. Really, a fast twist .270 will do all the PRC will do. I don't have a dog in this fight but I have a 270 and a PRC, just an opinion.

My hunting mate uses 129 LRX and they are great bullets at extended range. Really accurate. At a range where velocity lets them open they put down anything they touch. Other guys use the 110 TTSX and report outstanding results on all game as well. I have some 129s and will make a load once I work through my 130gr. SSTs (which also work well and hit like a hand grenade).

The mono metal bullets with 270 velocities are a great match. Mono metals need speed to work and 270 delivers it without any drama. The 270 sending a piece of metal downrange at 3100+ fps is no joke. Hits hard and does the business without any fanfare. Just works.
i used sst's a lot in my 270's, they do flatten stuff, but sure make a mess at close range. i shot a big bear with one at 12yds and not a fragment of that bullet made it to the off side of the rib cage... the offside lung was very blood shot, but i couldn't find any sign of any of the bullet making it that far, no damage i could find, but it was all purple.... bear didn't make it anywhere (maybe 30yds) but it gave me pause using that bullet.... they sure shot well though, and i think they are a good bullet if you understand it (i didn't at the time)

Southern Lights

Lil-Rokslider
i used sst's a lot in my 270's, they do flatten stuff, but sure make a mess at close range. i shot a big bear with one at 12yds and not a fragment of that bullet made it to the off side of the rib cage... the offside lung was very blood shot, but i couldn't find any sign of any of the bullet making it that far, no damage i could find, but it was all purple.... bear didn't make it anywhere (maybe 30yds) but it gave me pause using that bullet.... they sure shot well though, and i think they are a good bullet if you understand it (i didn't at the time)
Yes at close range they break up. I hit a large red stag at 40m and it dropped and was instantly dead, but the bullet fragmented and destroyed much of the lungs without going through the other side. I have shot fallow deer at 150-200m though and it was double lung with exit. I think in this caliber the 130 SST needs time to slow down a bit to hold together.

I'd be worried using the SST on a shoulder shot on a tougher animal after seeing this which is why I may switch to the 129TTSX going forward or 145 ELD-X which have done very well down here in NZ from guys I know that use them.

ZAK13

Lil-Rokslider

I started out loading the SST's, a great bullet indeed, tried the mono's and found even better accuracy and speed, that's the reason I switched.

dingle

Lil-Rokslider
I emailed Nosler to ask about the 140 accubond and they said they're way down the list and months out. I still like mine though.
Thanks for that bit - I started another thread indirectly asking about this very topic and hadn't heard much.