Is the 204 ruger dead?

NEWYORKHILLBILLY

Lil-Rokslider
I be looking at the 204 Ruger for a fur friendly eastern coyote gun. seems very few companies are making it. I am needing a left hand and that is making it even harder. Everything thing I find left hand had been discounted ,cz 527 . browning x bolt, and savage. Ruger American second gen has it in right hand. I thought if i can't buy one I put one together. I need a tikka LH 223 or tikka lh 223 tikka bolt But seems available. I really don't want to spend the money on a full custom gun. am I missing something in this caliber seems perfect for back east where shots would be 300 or less. It seems its not very popular anymore.

Jkean949

FNG
If it needs to be a bolt gun you could re-barrel a LH Savage to 204...don't know what bolt face you'd need, but I am sure it's doable. Another approach that would be easier is T/C Encore...they have a 204 Ruger barrel offering, this would be single-shot though.

Jkean949

FNG
Looks like there have been offerings recent enough that a used gun is likely available on gunbroker.

B23

WKR
It seemed like once the newness and excitement of it being a new cartridge wore off the 204 has gradually faded away. Ammo availability for the 204 was very slim to non existent for a couple years so that certainly didn't help things either.

I've had a couple different factory rifles chambered in 204 Ruger. First one was a CZ 527 Varmint model that was a nice little rifle and shot well. Sold it to a friend of mine that still has it and is thrilled with it. Got a good deal on a Tikka Compact in 204 Ruger a couple years ago and I still have that one but I next to never shoot it. CZ stopped making the 527 a few years ago and Tikka hasn't chambered anything in 204 Ruger for a few years now.

The 204 Ruger is a fun little cartridge but I think with it being so close to a 223 and having more expensive as well as less available ammo most people just opt for a 223 instead.

I recently saw a nice little low milage Ruger compact 204 for sale but it was a righty not a lefty so it wouldn't work for the OP.

Jkean949

FNG
It seemed like once the newness and excitement of it being a new cartridge wore off the 204 has gradually faded away. Ammo availability for the 204 was very slim to non existent for a couple years so that certainly didn't help things either.

I've had a couple different factory rifles chambered in 204 Ruger. First one was a CZ 527 Varmint model that was a nice little rifle and shot well. Sold it to a friend of mine that still has it and is thrilled with it. Got a good deal on a Tikka Compact in 204 Ruger a couple years ago and I still have that one but I next to never shoot it. CZ stopped making the 527 a few years ago and Tikka hasn't chambered anything in 204 Ruger for a few years now.

The 204 Ruger is a fun little cartridge but I think with it being so close to a 223 and having more expensive as well as less available ammo most people just opt for a 223 instead.

I recently saw a nice little low milage Ruger compact 204 for sale but it was a righty not a lefty so it wouldn't work for the OP.
I was looking at the ballistics and newer offerings earlier after reading this and it seems to live in the exact space of the 22-250...albeit maybe less recoil? (Ron Spomer article) It's also in an area of shooting that doesn't get a lot of attention. Make a 204 Creedmoor and I'm sure there will be plenty of offerings.

I wouldn't call any cartridge dead if you try hard enough and have the spare pocket change though.

ElPollo

WKR
Is there a single cartridge that Ruger developed that isn’t functionally defunct with respect to commercial ammo and firearms offerings?

TSAMP

WKR
I was in a similar situation as the OP. Built a .204 AR. It's never shot as great as I thought it should. I dropped it off at a Smith and he got it shooting decent but I never use it now. I should just sell the upper and get a .223 for better ammo options.

Jkean949

FNG
Is there a single cartridge that Ruger developed that isn’t functionally defunct with respect to commercial ammo and firearms offerings?
Well, the .375 is the parent case to the PRC family...so I mean you gotta give them some credit there right?

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-01-05 124201.png
    Screenshot 2024-01-05 124201.png
    225.7 KB · Views: 38

Axlrod

WKR
I was close to buying a 204 but after research, it just didn't offer me anything that my .223 wasn't already giving me. The chart below is muzzle to 500 yards.

View attachment 652470
204 Ruger will push 40 gr. bullets 3900 fps and the 40 gr. nos has a lower BC than Horn 40 gr or Sierra 39 gr.

In my 204 Ruger with 39 Gr. Sierras @ 3915 fps it looks like this at 500 yards:
2406 fps
501 ft-lbs
-28.05"

Laramie

WKR
204 Ruger will push 40 gr. bullets 3900 fps and the 40 gr. nos has a lower BC than Horn 40 gr or Sierra 39 gr.

In my 204 Ruger with 39 Gr. Sierras @ 3915 fps it looks like this at 500 yards:
2406 fps
501 ft-lbs
-28.05"
I agree, if you reload, it does best the 223 at long range. From the OPs stated necessity, and mine, that extra speed and flatter trajectory mean nothing inside of 300 yards. 99% of the shooting I do with my 223 is inside of 300 yards.

Axlrod

WKR
I agree, if you reload, it does best the 223 at long range. From the OPs stated necessity, and mine, that extra speed and flatter trajectory mean nothing inside of 300 yards. 99% of the shooting I do with my 223 is inside of 300 yards.
You don't have to reload. Hornady superformance ammo w/ 40 gr bullet is listed at 3900 FPS.
Overall the 223 is really hard to beat. I love varmint guns I have a 17 Hornet, 20 VT, 204 Ruger 22 Hornet, 218 Bee, 222, 223, 22 Creed, & a 220 Swift. A 223 is what I use most.

Jkean949

FNG
You don't have to reload. Hornady superformance ammo w/ 40 gr bullet is listed at 3900 FPS.
Overall the 223 is really hard to beat. I love varmint guns I have a 17 Hornet, 20 VT, 204 Ruger 22 Hornet, 218 Bee, 222, 223, 22 Creed, & a 220 Swift. A 223 is what I use most.
Is cost a factor with that selection? It would just seem that with volume and availability the 223 has a significant leg up as well.

Also, any plans on a 224 Valkyrie making it into your vault?

Waxy

FNG
I hope the 204 never goes away! It is without a doubt my favourite cartridge to shoot. Low recoil, fast, flat, incredibly accurate in my Tikka, and it kills stuff dead. Ammo is getting harder to find, so I stock up when I see it, but it has been more common lately. I plan on reloading at some point.

Every time I walk past 10' of shelf space dedicated to the .223 and can't find a single box of 204, it really annoys me lol. What's wrong with all of you, get onboard with the 204!!!!

Waxy

Afhunter1

WKR
My buddy has a savage that is left hand and dipped in mossy oak brush. It shoots bug holes. He uses 35gr Berger bullet and it is really good on coyote but marginal on fox. I shoot a 17 rem, the best eastern predator caliber.

If you could find one of those savages it would be a great gun I think for you.

Axlrod

WKR
Is cost a factor with that selection? It would just seem that with volume and availability the 223 has a significant leg up as well.

Also, any plans on a 224 Valkyrie making it into your vault?
Apparently not! :ROFLMAO:
If I could only have one rifle, it would be a 223 no question.. Well if I could only have one I would probably jump off a tall building.
I have very limited hobbies- shooting/reloading/hunting/gun collecting- and being in the mountains. Prob. no valkyrie for me (maybe a 22 ARC). I forgot to mention my bigger varmint guns- 6ARC, 243 AI, 6 Creed, 6.5 grendel, & 6.5 Creed. And rimfire rifles... Oh and i like 3 screw Rugers, S&W revolvers and 1911's, but I don't own a glock or any double action autos.

Yesterday when my wife came home from work, I was an hour down a rabbit hole looking at German made axes & hatchets, all because of a thread on here. She said "are you going to start collecting those now?"
Well I might have to, I couldn't sleep last night thinking about this:

ElPollo

WKR
Well, the .375 is the parent case to the PRC family...so I mean you gotta give them some credit there right?
I stand corrected. The 375 Ruger is still commercially available in both rifles and factory ammo. Great cartridge, but probably not a huge commercial success.