Is My 0 Degree Sleeping Bag Too...

Lawnboi

WKR
That depends alot on you personally. In my zero degree bag im sweating balls in anything over single digits, but come to find out i just sleep really warm. Being that its spring easiest way to find out is get out (once this wierd weather goes away) and sleep in your back yard or something in temps that you think you will be expecting.

Depends on the bag. I have a 0 degree Kelty down bag that I get cold in at 25 degrees. Unlike my WM that is good for well below what the temp rating is! But like Aron said most likely yes

OP
Brandon Pattison
I got cold last year but we got a late start, like 2 weeks into the hunt. I sweat a lot and ended up going to bed wet/really damp. There wasn't anything I could do. Does anyone ever go a bit overboard on their temperature rating to offset this type of thing? I might as well not even worry about raingear as I get just as wet being a sweaty person. Maybe I answered my own question about getting a stove/shelter.

ScottR_EHJ

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I sweat like crazy too, so I feel your pain on that one. A QUALITY 20 degree bag should be good enough for what you are planning. My down bag is awesome for the cold weather and I have yet to get cold in it, but some of my others I have.

If sweat is the issue then I would do as much research into stuff that is going to get rid of the sweat as much as you consider the bag.

JG358

WKR
I use a 0 deg bag, I just unzip it or sleep on top of it if I get to warm

Last edited:
You might...but I have been in plenty snowstorms in early September and by the time I got back to my tent at 11 at night, I was glad I had brought my zero degree bag. I like the option of looking at the forecast before I hit the mountains to determine which bag I will bring. We all know things change...but it is a great starting point at least. It is nice to have options...but the 20 degree bag is lighter, so I tend to use that more.

OP
Brandon Pattison
Well, thanks for the input. I guess I will keep it and give it a trial run this year when the season starts, then I will know.

ScottR_EHJ

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I sense some disappointment in that post. Like you were hoping we would justify you buying a new bag. If you are needing permission.....

OP
Brandon Pattison
I sense some disappointment in that post. Like you were hoping we would justify you buying a new bag. If you are needing permission.....

LOL, on the contrary. I have about had a gutfull of buying or shopping for new gear for hunting. I have a great, understanding wife and without her I wouldn't even be considering any new gear, just traveling heavy and freezing at night. I would rather spend my time strengthening my body and mind for the upcoming hunt, which I have to do too. I feel that once I have the gear portion figured out I could shoot, PT and sound like an elk and not a donkey on a tirade.

Lawnboi

WKR
You could just go out and order a 20 degree kifaru slick bag like im going to do :) My 0 degree down bag is just overkill for me, in basically anything but very cold stuff. Even unziped i have sweated in the thing in 20 degrees. And the more i sweat, the more condensation forms inside and out of the bag. Leaving me wet. If this is your problem i think going up in temp will definetly help. Also since it seems your a sweaty guy, a synthetic bag like the slick might not be a bad option

OP
Brandon Pattison
You could just go out and order a 20 degree kifaru slick bag like im going to do :) My 0 degree down bag is just overkill for me, in basically anything but very cold stuff. Even unziped i have sweated in the thing in 20 degrees. And the more i sweat, the more condensation forms inside and out of the bag. Leaving me wet. If this is your problem i think going up in temp will definetly help. Also since it seems your a sweaty guy, a synthetic bag like the slick might not be a bad option

Good advice, maybe I will sell it and buy a Slick. It is a Big Agnes Pomer Hoit SL, long.

vcb

WKR
Yes, but better too warm than cold....a 20 degree bag is perfect imo for that time of year. It could be 40 at night or snowing...Mountain weather...just have to be prepared!

vcb

WKR
Franklin, that BA pomer hoit is a good bag.....BA out of steamboat makes good stuff...Quality down bag though for sure!

vcb

WKR
I dont think you would be uncomfortably warm in it.....Hard to say....just depends upon weather and elevation your camping at.

Aron Snyder

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Something that seems to get overlooked sometimes is the option of getting a 20-30 degree bag to save weight and wear your clothing to bed. Several of my hunting buddies in AK and CO do this to keep the weight down and the bag compresses smaller too.

You're packing clothing along anyway, so it's not a bad option if going UL.

I understand the idea of unzipping the bag to cool down, so just think of this as doing the opposite:)