is it my scope or loads? 98% good, 2% fail @ 100 yards

I agree with the others that it isn't reloads causing the issue unless you have a serious problem with your system. I can have a 20% change in powder load when shooting a pressure ladder and still be within 2 MOA at 100 yds.

Most of the people on this site are helpful, but you aren't giving enough information for anyone to help you solve your problem, and it doesn't sound like you have enough time to go shoot and give people data to help.

Did you have the flyers in a single range session where there was an accurate group shot, or did they only happen after hiking or the gun riding in a vehicle? I have a hard time believing it's loose action screws or scope mount if the gun will shoot some good groups and then occasional flyers. If it only shoots off occasionally, it's either a bad scope or shooter error. Maybe have someone else with more free time shoot the rifle to determine if it's the second.

OP
CamaroMan

CamaroMan

FNG
I'll try to be nice here and give you constructive feedback on a recent experience with my dad's rifle: had a brand new rifle and scope that wouldn't group. Tried various ammos, checked rings, swapped scope, etc... To make a long story short after spending a shit load of time and money... we ultimately found out that the Vortex Razor HD LHT was walking even mounted to a suppressed 300 WM CA Ridgeline. Bad scope out of the box.

music to my ears- thanks. might have to swap scope with wifes rifle and see what happens.

OP
CamaroMan

CamaroMan

FNG
944ujx.jpg

I WAS TOLD BY THE SALES LADY THEY HAD AN INDDOR RANGE FOR SIGHTING THE GUNS.. I learned AFTER the trip they only bore sighted it. Man you guys are sth special here.

Heres another one to add to your collection of memes -I see youve joined the club (intent here is humor and truth combined).

1726845459479.png

OP
CamaroMan

CamaroMan

FNG
In all seriousness, just hunt with your wife's rifle. You're not going to figure this out in one more range trip.

Agreed - can squeeze a desert trip in and one to range- see what happens with leupold scope,worst case itll come to that yes. Theres a known hack here that extends hunting season by a whole month but ill keep that one off the net. and no its not MZ or archery or junior. Just a very unique set of rules

CorbLand

WKR
I WAS TOLD BY THE SALES LADY THEY HAD AN INDDOR RANGE FOR SIGHTING THE GUNS.. I learned AFTER the trip they only bore sighted it. Man you guys are sth special here.

Heres another one to add to your collection of memes -I see youve joined the club (intent here is humor and truth combined).

View attachment 766705
Oh come on dude. At least get your shit straight.

Yesterday you didn’t know how Cabelas sighted your gun in. Now you were told they had a range and only found out they didn’t after?

6AEF5290-8862-4126-845C-B605641644C1.png

1726847092942.png

Last edited:

Felix40

WKR
I haven’t looked at Rokslide in a long time. This thread is crazy.

Here are the MINIMUM steps I would take.

1. Break your scope bad enough that vortex will send you a new one. Sell the brand new one.
2. DONT BUY A LEUPOLD! Like 3 people have told you not to and you are still hung up on it. Stop being hard headed.
3. Buy a reliable scope like a fixed power swfa or nightforce.
4. Clean everything with acetone and remount the new scope, check the action screws too.
5. Make sure the barrel is actually free floated.
6. Bore sight the gun yourself. You can do it at home on your kitchen table pointing at the top of a power pole. There’s no excuse not to do this yourself.
7. Buy some basic off the shelf ammo. Literally anything. Maybe two different kinds just in case (since you don’t have time to make more than one range trip). Remington core lokts will probably shoot good enough for everything you are doing.
8. Go to the range and shoot a group at 100 with each ammo. You should be able to get it zeroed good enough with about 3 shots if you do a decent job bore sighting it. Even a consistent 2” group at 100 is going to be better than what you have going on now.
9. Shoot a few groups and get one of the ammo types dialed in at 100. Go slow and dry fire between shots.
10. Go buy a couple more boxes of whatever ammo you got dialed in to hunt with.

If you do this you’ve eliminated two of the variables (hand loading and the crappy scope). You should be able to get this issue sorted with one trip to the range and not much money spent.

For the last potential point of error (user):

What I would do in a IDEAL world is get rid of the whole rifle and scope and your wife’s too. Go down in caliber to something more shoot able. If you are in California there is absolutely nothing you need that much gun for. You say you have been shooting your whole life and know what you are doing but you are making a lot of big first timer mistakes. Nobody is immune to flinching. Shooting a smaller caliber will be more fun, ammo is cheaper, both of you will shoot it better.

CorbLand

WKR
You think OP has time to put up and money to pay for targets? He runs a small business that takes all his time and rent takes all his money. Parking lot signs are free and take less time as someone has already put them up for you.

Reburn

Mayhem Contributor
You think OP has time to put up and money to pay for targets? He runs a small business that takes all his time and rent takes all his money. Parking lot signs are free and take less time as someone has already put them up for you.

There is no way this dude is real. He is jerking our leg.

Reburn

Mayhem Contributor

View attachment 766705

Why you so mad bro?

out of curiosity what does your business do?