Is it a waste of time to bait for a two week hunt?

I'll be heading to Idaho the middlish of May for about two weeks. My plan has been to spot and stalk but I was wondering if two weeks was enough time to get bears on a bait site? Is it worth the time and cost to try? Thanks!

28outlaw

FNG
I don't think it's a waste of time. Cost is relatively low. All you are going to do is give your self more options. Spot and stalk is my favorite way to hunt them but it never hurts to have an extra arrow in the quiver.

Laramie

WKR
I'll be heading to Idaho the middlish of May for about two weeks. My plan has been to spot and stalk but I was wondering if two weeks was enough time to get bears on a bait site? Is it worth the time and cost to try? Thanks!
I only baited one year so very limited experience. I had a single bear coming to my bait within 3 days.

OP
W
Cool sounds good, I am trying to narrow down between NW Montana and N Idaho but I didn't know how fast they come into bait. Thanks guys!

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
Baiting increases your chances probably more so with Bear than any other big game species in my experience, especially when talking bow hunting.

OP
W
Baiting increases your chances probably more so with Bear than any other big game species in my experience, especially when talking bow hunting.
Since it is my first western hunt and my first bear hunt I will be using a rifle. I need all the help I can get lol.

Plenty of time to bait, you can be successful with only a couple days if there is a high population of bears. Doing a honey/bacon burn can result in instant success if they're bears close by.

OP
W
Plenty of time to bait, you can be successful with only a couple days if there is a high population of bears. Doing a honey/bacon burn can result in instant success if they're bears close by.
I've not heard of that before, good to know. I guess I should start researching baiting then.

I think you picked a tough hunt for your first western one.

Baiting bears on OTC public land is not a sure thing. Site selection is a big thing and bear density an issue. Lot and lots to learn about an effective bait. At least you can put a camera on it to see if anything shows.

Spot and stalk you may get lucky, at least you can see the country. Bears are nocturnal so first and last light are important.

OP
W
I think you picked a tough hunt for your first western one.

Baiting bears on OTC public land is not a sure thing. Site selection is a big thing and bear density an issue. Lot and lots to learn about an effective bait. At least you can put a camera on it to see if anything shows.

Spot and stalk you may get lucky, at least you can see the country. Bears are nocturnal so first and last light are important.
I think I might still go with spot and stalk anyway so I don't feel tied down to one area. I do just want to see the country so I think as of right now I will hit Montana and forgo baiting. Maybe save that option for next spring or even this fall.

Set bait then go spot and stalk for a few days before checking. Either rebait or move as needed and then sit baits the second week if you’re getting action on cameras.

Wrench

WKR
I stuck a pb&j on a stick that was supposed to be for me to use as a reference to find the trail it was marking from a couple hundred yards away.

I hiked over 200 yards,found the white sandwich and set about looking for the best setup to be able to cover the trail.

Just a minute after setting up, my sandwich was gone. I then realized that a bear had grabbed it....and just loke that, 15 minutes into my first hunt I had already won.

Another year I poured grease on a stump in the morning, by evening the stump had been shredded.

Sometimes it happens fast.

npm352

WKR
I stuck a pb&j on a stick that was supposed to be for me to use as a reference to find the trail it was marking from a couple hundred yards away.

I hiked over 200 yards,found the white sandwich and set about looking for the best setup to be able to cover the trail.

Just a minute after setting up, my sandwich was gone. I then realized that a bear had grabbed it....and just loke that, 15 minutes into my first hunt I had already won.

Another year I poured grease on a stump in the morning, by evening the stump had been shredded.

Sometimes it happens fast.
Dang, I wouldn't have the will power to leave a sandwich, or any food for that matter, on a stick to mark a trail.