Brainstorming our first black bear hunt

colby12

WKR
You are correct on Colorado having no spring season. Idaho has been at the forefront of our conversation, partly due to tag cost, but after reading some of the advice tonight that might change. I totally agree with the sitting in a stand vs glassing from a mountain side. Being from Kansas we are obviously deer hunters and I've never enjoyed stand hunting but it is what it is in our neck of the woods. Montana isn't completely off the radar. A coworker has hunted in Montana and gave me the run down on their spot but out of 5 guys only 1 tagged a bear. That was a hand full of years back and I'm not sure on how much fluctuation there is in bear populations year to year. It's a strong plan B. Alaska would be ideal but the logistics and cost have us looking closer to home. Having hunted Colorado for bears, was it pretty busy with other hunters; do you hunt bears in the same type of areas where the deer and elk hunters are? Our last hunt in Colorado was so busy with other hunters that we ended up calling it quits a day early. We could change locations because my wife had drawn her tag for that unit. Thank you!
I’ve pretty much been able to avoid them, if you do run in to them they are usually willing to help. People think I’m crazy driving to different states for just bears, I was living in Oklahoma. If you can find secluded food sources in Colorado you can pretty much walk a trail close until you find good sign. After that the trails into the thick nasty stuff will tell you well the bears are going. Feel free to shoot me a message if you have specific location questions. I may or may not be able to help.

OP
swede8200

swede8200

FNG
I’ve pretty much been able to avoid them, if you do run in to them they are usually willing to help. People think I’m crazy driving to different states for just bears, I was living in Oklahoma. If you can find secluded food sources in Colorado you can pretty much walk a trail close until you find good sign. After that the trails into the thick nasty stuff will tell you well the bears are going. Feel free to shoot me a message if you have specific location questions. I may or may not be able to help.
Thank you!

Poser

WKR
I've kind of understood that buying the add on bear tag is something a lot of the locals do. Of the handful of times I've hunted elk in Colorado I've never talked to a dedicated bear hunter there, not that I've talked to a LOT of hunters but I know a few of the old timers from that area pretty well and they never talked about hunting bears or knowing anyone that does. I've read about the natural food sources but need to study up more on it. Thank you!

It’s only $100 for a NR to add a bear tag to archery or rifle elk, so that’s pretty cheap and common.

Even though I help out a friend with some calling and being a partner during archery season, bear hunting is my main focus in sept. I’m headed out for 4 days this coming weekend. I love it, but I am not successful every year, though I am getting better and better at it.

OP
swede8200

swede8200

FNG
It’s only $100 for a NR to add a bear tag to archery or rifle elk, so that’s pretty cheap and common.

Even though I help out a friend with some calling and being a partner during archery season, bear hunting is my main focus in sept. I’m headed out for 4 days this coming weekend. I love it, but I am not successful every year, though I am getting better and better at it.
That’s awesome! I’m trying to figure it out because I’m at the point where I’ve killed enough whitetails so I’m passing that torch to my wife and kids. I enjoy hunting elk but I can’t afford it every year. Speaking of calling, have you tried calling bears? Good luck on your hunt!