Is a hot tent needed for second season rifle Colorado?

Probably not needed but man is it nice. We went from packing everything way back in, grinding it out and “embracing the suck” in our younger years (and rarely ever killing anything.). Now just staying at the pickup in a wall tent with wood stove, grill, chargers, cots, starlink WiFi , sometimes a side x side to be more mobile and in 10x the elk action within a mile or two of a road.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've hunted 2nd rifle for the last 10 years or so because I really suck at shooting elk with my bow and I usually need to pick up the rifle to get my elk for the year. I would say that about 2 out of every 3 years we have snow and temps down to 0 or colder, then one of every 3 years it is warm and dry. I have a wall tent for base camp and am prepared to spike out into an area we have found that always produces for us when the weather is favorable enough to do so. We hunt a little north of where you'll be but it's safe to say that 2nd rifle you really should be prepared for the possibility of deep snow and extremely cold temps. And don't forget those tire chains!

Jimss

WKR
I usually leave my truck well before light and am back at my truck after dark so don't spend much time around a fancy camp. If you want to live vivaciously, renting a trailer is another option. There is a website here in Colo where people rent them. You would have a heater, stove, and beds!

I don't know how many seasons I've camped out in my camper shell. It cuts the wind and is actually pretty toasty. It's also a lot mobile than a tent. I generally camp where I end for the night.

TxxAgg

WKR
I’ve hunted CO second season with a foot of snow and lows in the single digits with a backpacking tent. As long as your pad and bag are good, you’ll be cold but should be good. Getting frozen boots on your feet in the morning is miserable, but get moving and you warm up quick.

Keep a stove with instant coffee in the vestibule and make it before you get out of your bag

You are spot on about the frozen boots.

We bought a Kodiak canvas the next year.

IMG_1500.jpeg

Marble

WKR
I've done 2nd session for over 20 years. It is not "needed". But i can say it is pretty dang nice.

Only one year have I used my hot tent. Actually a tipi. I plan on using it this year of weather cooperates.

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk