Is 2525fps fast enough to start a 143 ELD-X?

mcseal2

WKR
I recently traded for a Browning Hells Canyon Speed rifle with a 22" barrel in 6.5 Creedmoor. I hooked up my Magnetospeed chronograph after sighting the rifle in and it was only showing 2525fps on average with factory Precision Hunter ammo using the 143gr ELD-X. The box shows 2700fps. I figured that was probably not happening in my barrel, but I figured it would be closer than it was. It shot between 1/2" and 3/4" consistently on 5 shot groups letting the barrel cool between shots.

I have pretty much always ran faster rounds in the past. Even after I started dialing elevation it was on a 264 win mag or 300 win mag mostly. Other rifles I use a lot are the 243, 25-06, and 270 win. The high BC bullets started slow are new to me. I plan to use this rifle mainly for deer hunting. Most shots will be 200-350 yards but I'd reach to 600 with it if my practice and conditions show I should. I have the magnums mentioned earlier for elk and larger game.

Would you be comfortable with this starting velocity, or should I do some experimenting with reloading or 130gr bullets? Thanks for your help.

I loaded up some 140 Partitions in a 260 for my wife last year at about that same speed as well. She took a caribou bull with it, full penetration no recovery at 150yds. I think for long range it may be a bit slow but moderate distance should be fine.

I thought about loading some 125’s, but it doesn’t like lighter bullets so I’ll stick with the 140’s I guess.

I have yet to be begin to procrastinate.

It’s all about impact velocity. Call Hornady, they’ll tell you their recommended minimum impact velocity. Look at your solver and that'll tell you your maximum range.

More muzzle velocity just extends the distance before you run into your minimum impact velocity.

Short answer - Yes, that'd work fine your desired max of 600 yards but it's pretty slow. Wouldn't be surprised if your barrel broke in and it sped up to 2600.

I'd try berger factory 130 OTM (known to work well on game) and 135 Classic hunter ammo. You might find some added performance and worst case you come away with Lapua brass to load your own. I've seen tested velocities from these that align with speeds that a lot of hand loaders settle on.

I got the rifle shot with the 143gr ELD-X out to 600 today. I had first round hits in the center of my 10" gong all the way out. I used Hornady's app with my velocity to get my adjustments. It's nice shooting the little 6.5 with the brake, I can see all my hits in the 5-20x Huskemaw. I can see the vapor trail at times too. Wind was light, averaging about 3.5 mph with gusts to 6. I shot my 300 win mag also with the 185gr Bergers at all the distances. It really shows how much the velocity adds to drop at the longer ranges. I might experiment more down the road, but with deer season opening Wednesday I'm sticking with this load for now. I actually got a 150yd coyote with the rifle while glassing a few spots before dark after I finished shooting.

I now have 32 rounds down the new barrel. I cleaned every shot the first 10, every 3 for the rest of the box, and now I have 12 down it since a cleaning. I won't clean until after my hunt ends now. I bought another box but I'll be hunting with the same box I just shot out to 600 with.

How many rounds should I run through the rifle before re-checking my velocity?

Thanks for your help.

Short answer - Yes, that'd work fine your desired max of 600 yards but it's pretty slow. Wouldn't be surprised if your barrel broke in and it sped up to 2600.

I'd try berger factory 130 OTM (known to work well on game) and 135 Classic hunter ammo. You might find some added performance and worst case you come away with Lapua brass to load your own. I've seen tested velocities from these that align with speeds that a lot of hand loaders settle on.

That Berger ammo is pretty speedy out of my 300 win mag. 3058fps with a 185gr Classic Hunter. I might have to give it a shot after deer season. Thanks.

Starting at 2525 fps you have plenty of terminal velocity all the way out to 700+ yards! Per my ballistics program you have 1644 fps at 700, which is still good for that bullet.

"The new Hornady ELD-X™ hunting bullets are designed to deliver the highest BC possible for the specific bullet caliber and weight. They also provide match level accuracy at long range and effective terminal performance from maximum safe initial velocities down to ~1600 fps."

The Berger 135 classic ammo is doing 2750 fps in my daughters 22" barreled 6.5 creedmoor. Super accurate as well. Just another option but find minimum expansion velocity for either the 143 or 135 and that is your max distance if accuracy is there.

Regarding velocity and killing. Son's lapua pushes a 140 berger at 2670 or so. Broke a bull elk's shoulder at 400 yards and penetrated to other side. Dead bull.

I have a 6.5 Creedmoor (22" barrel) that shoots 143 grain ELD-X and averages 2681 fps at the barrel. No qualms taking to 700 yards for hunting.

I have a 308 Win (20" barrel) that shoots 178 grain ELD-X and averages 25818 fps at the barrel. I limit the 308 to 500 yards for hunting since the velocity starts to drop a lot past that range.

Both of the rifles mentioned use commercial Precision Hunter ammo and not hand loads.

You'll be fine with the ranges that you mentioned. However, quick math shows you just about 1800 fps at 600 yards. Environmental variables (temperature, elevation, etc.) will change how far you can take it front a hunting perspective.

Take a look at the lot number(s) on the ammo you have. Try to find a different lot and then remeasure your velocities.

Everyone else answered it pretty clearly above about impact velocity, so nothing more to add there. But, that does seem very slow, that same ammo is getting 2670 for me out of a 20” barrel. So your 150fps slower. I am no expert, but I can’t imagine a barrel slowing a round down that much and being 2” longer...

I would personally try another chrono and see what it tells me.

For reference...
According to my data my last 5 shots: CA ridgeline 20” barrel, Thunderbeast ultra 7, using a lab radar:

Everyone else answered it pretty clearly above about impact velocity, so nothing more to add there. But, that does seem very slow, that same ammo is getting 2670 for me out of a 20” barrel. So your 150fps slower. I am no expert, but I can’t imagine a barrel slowing a round down that much and being 2” longer...

I would personally try another chrono and see what it tells me.

For reference...
According to my data my last 5 shots: CA ridgeline 20” barrel, Thunderbeast ultra 7, using a lab radar:

It's possible that his crono is reading incorrectly but it sounds like he got first round hits out to 600 with the muzzle velocity he indicated so I'd guess it's reading accurately.

There's a lot more variables that effect muzzle velocity than just barrel length. Just the difference in reamer that was used from Browning to your Christensen can cause that much of a difference.

I know of three factory Tikka 6.5s, one is mine, that average in the mid 2500s with factory eld-x. All three have less than 100 rounds, so in theory they could speed up, but not nearly to the advertised velocity. I shot a whitetail doe at a hair over 700 with factory eld-m going at a similar speed, and performance was great.

The Berger 135 classic ammo is doing 2750 fps in my daughters 22" barreled 6.5 creedmoor. Super accurate as well. Just another option but find minimum expansion velocity for either the 143 or 135 and that is your max distance if accuracy is there.
\

Kurt, what has been her shot distance(s) on elk and results?

She decided to use my 30-06 with an 18" barrel shooting 155 scenars at 2775 fps. Killed a 6x6 at 380 yards with that this year. She killed her whitetails, mule deer, antelope, etc using a 260 back in the day. Then college came along.

Son has killed elk, mule deer and large black bears at distance with slow moving 140 berger vlds though. I standardized on 140 vld for most 6.5 stuff and everything dies.

Last edited:
Hmm I have a 20” creed and shooting factory Hornady Match 147gr ELDM’s I’m averaging 2621ft/s. I would think the 143 would be a little faster at the barrel then the 147.

Last edited:
I got the rifle shot with the 143gr ELD-X out to 600 today. I had first round hits in the center of my 10" gong all the way out. I used Hornady's app with my velocity to get my adjustments. It's nice shooting the little 6.5 with the brake, I can see all my hits in the 5-20x Huskemaw. I can see the vapor trail at times too. Wind was light, averaging about 3.5 mph with gusts to 6. I shot my 300 win mag also with the 185gr Bergers at all the distances. It really shows how much the velocity adds to drop at the longer ranges. I might experiment more down the road, but with deer season opening Wednesday I'm sticking with this load for now. I actually got a 150yd coyote with the rifle while glassing a few spots before dark after I finished shooting.

I now have 32 rounds down the new barrel. I cleaned every shot the first 10, every 3 for the rest of the box, and now I have 12 down it since a cleaning. I won't clean until after my hunt ends now. I bought another box but I'll be hunting with the same box I just shot out to 600 with.

How many rounds should I run through the rifle before re-checking my velocity?

Thanks for your help.

I’ve heard it’ll speed up after 200 rounds, but I’ve never tracked my shot count to verify.

It's possible that his crono is reading incorrectly but it sounds like he got first round hits out to 600 with the muzzle velocity he indicated so I'd guess it's reading accurately.

There's a lot more variables that effect muzzle velocity than just barrel length. Just the difference in reamer that was used from Browning to your Christensen can cause that much of a difference.

Great points on the confirmed dope...I didn’t think of that when I typed my response.

And, like I said I will never claim to be an expert, but I certainly had no idea that just the reamer could swing velocities like that. I would have guessed barrel length and twist would have much more effect. But great to know that!

Thanks everyone for the replies. I had another Browning rifle a while back, an A bolt in 270 WSM (23", 140gr Accubond, 3033fps). It shot really well with handloads, but they were slower than I expected. I don't have the load written down handy anymore, sold the rifle a while back. I had a different chronograph then also.

I will give these another run over a different chronograph and again on mine. Hopefully it's off or the barrel speeds up, but as others mentioned it hit where the program said it should at this speed to 600.

I got a box of 147gr ELD-M loads to try also. Deer season opens in the morning though, so testing will have to wait until after season ends or a buck cooperates. I loaned out my 300 win to a friend who was having rifle issues tonight, so the Creed is going to be my rifle for this season unless an issue arises. Hopefully I get to report back on how it did great on a monster buck.

Back