Is 150gr Just To Much For 270WSM

I don't hand load but I have not been able to find a 150gr factory load that will shoot real well out of my Sako 85 Finnlight in a 270wsm. The best so far is Winchester's 150gr Xp3. It seams to like the Winchester power points in 130gr, 140gr CT and really likes Federal's 140gr Accubonds. Is a 150gr bullet just to heavy for the 270wsm, or have I just not found the right load?

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Shoot2HuntU
I loaded up some 150 vld's for my buddy's 270wsm. According to him they are tack drivers . I personally would shoot the 140 AB if I had a 270.

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
I would also use the 140 Accubonds if they shoot well out of your rifle. I know with Tikka rifles I seem to get better groups with hotter loads.

OP
Mad Mountain Mike
Thanks for the input guys, I'll stick with the Accubonds for now. If I stay with 300 yards or less the 150gr xp3's would be fine but when stretching it out to
500 yards ( which is my limit) they just don't get it. It doesn't matter what kind of energy you're packing if you can't hit what you are aiming at.

Mad Mountain Mike;107754 It doesn't matter what kind of energy you're packing if you can't hit what you are aiming at.[/QUOTE said:
You pretty well summed it up right there. The Accubond will retain a lot of its weight. I have no experience with XP3s, but my guess is that by the time it's all said and done you're picking nits. Put the bullet where it needs to go and don't worry about whether it weights 150 or 140 grains.

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
You pretty well summed it up right there. The Accubond will retain a lot of its weight. I have no experience with XP3s, but my guess is that by the time it's all said and done you're picking nits. Put the bullet where it needs to go and don't worry about whether it weights 150 or 140 grains.

^Exactly^

S

Salmo-Priest

.270 and the 150 gr partition has been my fav combo. I hand-load and in every rifle I've owned the Nosler Partition has always shot well. I'm not a big fan of Accubonds and magnums. JMO Pretty damn explosive for me. IS there a Federal factory .27 cal WSM offering in the 150gr PT? Would be my first choice.

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Shoot2HuntU
Salmo, can you go into more detail about your problems with the AB? Especially animals and shot placement/distance?

I like the Barnes TSX myself. Have you tried these? I used to shoot Partitions, but like the Barnes much, much better.

Also, what is the twist rate on your barrel? It might not be spinning the heavier bullets quite fast enough to stabilize them as well.

S

Salmo-Priest

The AB's at magnum velocities I've seen used were very explosive. Seems to be the trend these days though.. To each his own. But lots of meat damage. The Partition is very predictable and weight retention seems the more consistent. Hit the lungs every time great!!!!! But not always how it goes down.

I like Jason am kinda getting into the Barnes TTSX. I'm running a 150gr TTSX in an -06 now. Have over 20yrs experience with an -06 and One of my all-time favorite loads is a 180gr Accubond at 2750+fps.!!!!!!! And Accubonds in the 7-08 and .260 up to 2900fps tops have all performed very partition like as far as entrance, interior trauma, and exit hole size's. I just prefer then at velocities around 2800 fps. As I do like to eat what i kill. JME Have ran the AB's in 7mm mag, 300wsm and 338win mag. I wouldn't again. Again JMO and JME. Like Jasons idea of a TSX in the .270WSM but sure wouldn't kick a 150gr Partition out a bed

Vitals

WKR
I like the Barnes TSX myself. Have you tried these? I used to shoot Partitions, but like the Barnes much, much better.

Also, what is the twist rate on your barrel? It might not be spinning the heavier bullets quite fast enough to stabilize them as well.

X2 on the Barnes TSX. My grandfathers old M77 .270 loves these and they really seem comparable to some 150 hand loads a friend made for me.

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Shoot2HuntU
I do hear you on the meat damage from the AB but I guess I haven't seen one explode out of my 300 RUM or 300 WSM. I shot a cow elk with one in the shoulder at about 80 yards. It busted the off side shoulder and I found it just under the skin. The AB was 200g going around 3100, the end product weights 156g.

Last edited:

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Shoot2HuntU
Here's the bullet
hana5ypy.jpg

y5emyjuz.jpg

S

Salmo-Priest

In all fairness most of my AB kills have been with Second's AB. Not sure that matters or not. Sounds to me like they have served you well my friend. The worst damage I've seen with the AB were outa Magnums and on Mule deer. Sure figured an AB outa the .338 win mag would of kept going on a Nice mulie Buck at 250yds. It was a mess and never exited. But again, it sounds like they have worked great for you. I just prefer a different bullet. And in reality not many of us need that higher BC. The AB's have always shot well for me.

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Shoot2HuntU
I agree it should of exited a deer. I shot a Swift Aframe into a whitetail doe at around 150 yards. I walk up, rolled her over to look at the exit hole, didn't find one. When I opened her up I found the bullet in the chest cavity. It didn't open at all, looked like I could of reloaded it again.

HOT ROD

WKR
I have a 270wsm. And I want to try to
Shoot the 150. Just wondering if the barrel twist. Makes much difference. I am pretty sure my savage is 1/10. Was looking to shoot the new nosler accubonds. When I can't get them. Any thoughts???

S

Salmo-Priest

I agree it should of exited a deer. I shot a Swift Aframe into a whitetail doe at around 150 yards. I walk up, rolled her over to look at the exit hole, didn't find one. When I opened her up I found the bullet in the chest cavity. It didn't open at all, looked like I could of reloaded it again.

That made me laugh! Bullets do weird shitt!

S

Salmo-Priest

I have a 270wsm. And I want to try to
Shoot the 150. Just wondering if the barrel twist. Makes much difference. I am pretty sure my savage is 1/10. Was looking to shoot the new nosler accubonds. When I can't get them. Any thoughts???

I also have used a 150gr Hornady Interbond with a BC of .525 and Hunter powder. MOA at 100 all day long and believe they are alot like a Swift Swift Scirocco II.

Large frontal area once expanded but do retain a lot of weight with a high BC.

OP
Mad Mountain Mike
.270 and the 150 gr partition has been my fav combo. I hand-load and in every rifle I've owned the Nosler Partition has always shot well. I'm not a big fan of Accubonds and magnums. JMO Pretty damn explosive for me. IS there a Federal factory .27 cal WSM offering in the 150gr PT? Would be my first choice.
I see in the catalogue that Federal does load a 150gr nosler partition in the 270wsm, I'll have to give them a try if I can find them up here. Premium ammo is getting tough to come buy.

OP
Mad Mountain Mike

All I see for Barnes factory loads are 140gr, since I already have 6 boxes of AB 140gr I will stick with them for now as they shoot well out of my rifle. The rate of twist in my rifle is 1/10.