IRS Delayed the 1099 600$ rule for one year. See article

fwafwow

WKR
Wrong! Very wrong, this is the whole point of the deal
I think his last sentence is technically correct. If you buy binos for $1000 and sell them for $600, you don't have income. But you might have that $600 reported to the IRS. (I only say "might" because I think the rule is payments that exceed $600 per year.)

I'm not against this bullshit in hopes to "stick it to the IRS" or whatever(although they probably deserve it). My issue is most gear sales are at a loss... if you lose a receipt you're screwed... and you have to keep that record for quite some time in case of audit.

IMO it's an undue hassle. Its one thing if you're moving $10-$15k worth of stuff every year - but $600? YGBFSM.

Yeah I know, complaining isn't gonna change it.. its just stupid. I predict a rash of online sellers no longer accepting G&S as payment. It sucks on the consumers end. I've always been open to using G&S if it makes the buyer feel better... but that's likely going to change. I don't need the stress of keeping up with every single receipt for every item I buy in case I decide to sell it later in fear of an IRS audit some years down the road.

fwafwow

WKR
I'm not against this bullshit in hopes to "stick it to the IRS" or whatever(although they probably deserve it). My issue is most gear sales are at a loss... if you lose a receipt you're screwed... and you have to keep that record for quite some time in case of audit.
One of the benefits of being addicted to gear buying (and sometimes later selling) AND being lazy so as to do most online, I’ve found that from using online accounts and some email searches, I’m pretty able to easily find what I paid for an item. None of my deals have been for more than I paid, but I’m personally not worried about receipts.
Yeah I know, complaining isn't gonna change it.. its just stupid. I predict a rash of online sellers no longer accepting G&S as payment.
Your prediction has already occurred.

ETtikka

WKR
I think his last sentence is technically correct. If you buy binos for $1000 and sell them for $600, you don't have income. But you might have that $600 reported to the IRS. (I only say "might" because I think the rule is payments that exceed $600 per year.)
My point is that the IRS does not know or care what you paid , all they see is “income” amount reported by PayPal , eBay or whoever, then you have to fill forms and reconcile, but all IRS is told is that you received 600$ in income

TheWhitetailNut

Lil-Rokslider
People worry too much geez. Sell what you want for what you want and dont report a single red cent of it as its all net loss, done. Make the IRS prove otherwise, they wont.

Geez people if youre going to sell something for $700 then report it on your tax return as income you deserve to lose money.
This is very poor advice and may God have mercy on whomever listens to you on anything.

antelopedundee

Lil-Rokslider
I thought taxing the most wealthy people would fix all the problems? Guess all those billionaires not reporting $600 transactions is what this is intended for and not the working middle class.

I expect that there are some billionaires who don't bother to report $6 million transactions.

antelopedundee

Lil-Rokslider
Billionaires aren't as sloppy as hundredaires. They have records to back up every transaction right down to a tube of toothpaste.
Supposedly some don't bother to file at all from some of the things I've read in the past. Once this other crap kicks in it will be important to document your basis in the event of audit.

At least we have another year to buy and sell gear. its a damn shame this is what our country has resorted too. Hoping a new Administration will throw this crap out.

This aged well, just in from McCarthy’s new found power.

antelopedundee

Lil-Rokslider
Would 30% of what Warren Buffett spends be more or less than he'd pay under the current system? Seems like he's tighter than a duck's ass and that's water tight. Even then, he [and similar rich folks] would likely try to find or claim loopholes or exceptions.
Would that apply to personal filers or business too?

Happy Antelope

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor

At least we have another year to buy and sell gear. its a damn shame this is what our country has resorted too. Hoping a new Administration will throw this crap out.
You can still buy and sell gear and not pay any tax. You are only paying tax if you made a profit on what you sell.

antelopedundee

Lil-Rokslider
If it was in effect for last year and you are using one of the online tax prep services would you simply change the amount on the 1099-K to just the profit?

Insomnia

Lil-Rokslider
You know the normal rule of thumb to not talk about politics (at least in certain settings)? I still do my best to follow it, but when someone else brings up politics, it's surprising to me as to how many people nod in agreement (even if they are probably of another "party" or mindset) when I say "I think all politicians suck. All of them."
Dude, I'm pretty liberal for this crowd of folk, but it's not like I can name a single politician, liberal or otherwise, that I would support even 20%. I think the last pres candidate I considered voting for was Romney.

OP
SHTF

SHTF

WKR
Classified Approved
You can still buy and sell gear and not pay any tax. You are only paying tax if you made a profit on what you sell.
Yeah but if you do a large amount of buying and selling and you dont report any profits at all. Better believe your going to make the audit list and whatever you dont have receipts for or cant prove you did not make a profit, they will tax you for.