Iron Wills

Robw79

FNG
Getting some Iron Wills non vented for elk hunting but want some opinions. 125 or 150 grain? Will be shooting victory or FMJ.

OP
R

Robw79

FNG
I agree. 68 and 28.5. Thinking on getting brass inserts and won't need to switch anything up for whitetail hunting

You also mentioned the FMJ's and Victory shafts.
Do you know which FMJ or Vic shafts you are leaning to?

Also how do you lean when the topic of forces comes up? Do you like the "Kinetic energy" train of thought or "momentum"?

Titan_Bow

WKR
Change in weight and potential change in overall arrow is a fairly drastic change to make this late in the game, within elk archery opener a month away. If you’ve been shooting 125gr already I would stick with that. What broadhead are you shooting now? Iron Wills and other “premium” heads are good heads, but they are certainly not a necessity on elk. I’ve shot clean through a bull 2 years ago with a G5 Stryker, and I’ve buried a cedar shaft to the fletching on a big cow with an original Zwickey. Neither head would be considered “premium” and both performed great in the situation. I shoot the G5 out of my compound for everything except turkeys and it’s never let me down. Again, if you are already shooting a 125g head, sticking to that weight would be my advice, with only a month to go till opening day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
R

Robw79

FNG
Victory rip tko. Mainly focused on accuracy and penetration

OP
R

Robw79

FNG
Thanks, yeah that's what I was thinking as well. Magnus snuffer 125 Maxima Blu rz 350. I shot a bull two years ago and didn't get much penetration at all in the shoulder. Wasn't a good shot. Did end up shooting a bull two days later. Was using muzzy trocar. Is pretty dumb to switch this late but shoot quite a bit and have the opportunity to switch now

RyanCmns

WKR
Change in weight and potential change in overall arrow is a fairly drastic change to make this late in the game, within elk archery opener a month away. If you’ve been shooting 125gr already I would stick with that. What broadhead are you shooting now? Iron Wills and other “premium” heads are good heads, but they are certainly not a necessity on elk. I’ve shot clean through a bull 2 years ago with a G5 Stryker, and I’ve buried a cedar shaft to the fletching on a big cow with an original Zwickey. Neither head would be considered “premium” and both performed great in the situation. I shoot the G5 out of my compound for everything except turkeys and it’s never let me down. Again, if you are already shooting a 125g head, sticking to that weight would be my advice, with only a month to go till opening day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'll 2nd that

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

wysongdog

WKR
I’ll be shooting a very similar set up. Halon 6 set at 74# with wake limbs. Just got my victory vap 300’s. Waiting for my outserts to get here. But am shooting the IW 125 Solids. The IW performed perfectly in Africa on my eland. So figured why change.

Attachments

• A47170D2-D9D5-4828-A8FA-BB8F7FBA34BE.jpeg
    A47170D2-D9D5-4828-A8FA-BB8F7FBA34BE.jpeg
    308.2 KB · Views: 15

Trial153

WKR
The probelm with 150 grain heads is limited selection if you decide to change things up from the IW.

If your building a whole new arrow set up from the ground up i would be looking at getting to your overall weight using either 100 or 125 grain heads, with appropriate insert weight to get you where you need to be.

So that's a long winded way for me to say I would go with the 125s

WJS23

WKR
Definitely go with the 125 with a heavy insert, also it’s not too late to change up your set up. It only takes a few hours to tune a bow and get your self sighted in. I have swapped out strings on my bow and gone through the whole set the day before a shoot and did just fine.

nphunter

WKR
I built a set of TKO's this year, I installed 75gr brass HIT inserts and 25gr IW collars on the front, I really like the arrows and since I already have an extra 100gr up I can shoot 100gr heads of my liking and still have great FOC and momentum. I have the IW S100's for a fixed and Trypan for a mechanical I will be using, my overall arrow weight with a 250 spine is just shy of 500gr.

I really like that I can pretty much shoot any head I want and 100gr heads tend to be smaller which makes them penetrate better and fly better downrange due to less surface area. I wouldn't put too much thought into how your arrow combo performed when hitting an elk shoulder, almost every other setup out there would have likely had the same result.

gretch6364

Lil-Rokslider
I would talk to a shop to make sure a 300 is going to be stiff enough, especially if you hang it all off the front.

This is just my opinion, but I would rather shoot a 100g broadhead with a 25g brass insert then a 125g broadhead. Even more so if you want 150g. Have the weight a little bit back provides better arrow flex in my opinion and you don't lose much FOC.

Brendan

WKR
I would talk to a shop to make sure a 300 is going to be stiff enough, especially if you hang it all off the front.

This is just my opinion, but I would rather shoot a 100g broadhead with a 25g brass insert then a 125g broadhead. Even more so if you want 150g. Have the weight a little bit back provides better arrow flex in my opinion and you don't lose much FOC.
I wouldn't trust a shop with that.

It'll be stiff enough. I shoot 300's at a longer draw, 73#, with 175 gr up front. Spines out perfect using OT2.

I agree on broadhead. I run 50gr Brass, 25 gr iron will collar, 100 gr head.

gretch6364

Lil-Rokslider
I am no expert, I just think the spine charts don't take the weight out front into account very well. I am 28.5"/72# and am in a 250 spine because I have a 100g head and another 100g outsert system.