Iridium Go...an interesting new product for staying connected

Becca

Super Moderator
Staff member
Looks like Iridium has unveiled a new product that turns any smart phone or tablet into a sat phone. They are billing it as "a cell tower in your pocket", and advertising slow data connectivity as well as sat phone capabilities. We have long dreamed about something like this, as we typically have my smart phone along anyway, and could potentially save some weight.

More info here:
http://www.iridium.com/products/iridium-go.aspx

And here:
http://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/columnist/baig/2014/02/04/iridium-go-satellite-internet/5191049/

We already have an iridium sat phone and reasonable plan, so I doubt we will be early adopters but I still look forward to hearing some reviews once these are released. Definetely raises some questions for me though. While I could see the usefulness of data connectivity for things like checking the weather, I am not sure I want the ability to get online in the backcountry. I find I relish the ability to "unplug" when I am out of cell range, and worry that a device with these capabilities might blur the lines some....

pacific-23

Lil-Rokslider
Not packing a smart phone myself these products don't work for me per se but I see where people might like them. When I was doing research last year I settled on an acr plb because it was the least obtrusive into my life and all the side by side testing showed it to be the most reliable for actual emergencies. Weather reports, messages to home etc are all nice features but they make the mental side of the trip tougher for me. I have had cell service a few times during hunts and it has always ended up making me feel guilty about being out and introduced other things into my mind ( kid sick, wish you were home to help etc) it may be selfish but I like the communication break and if I'm solo I almost need it to maintain my focus.

Craig4791

WKR
I like the idea!

I have an Iridium Sat phone as well. I like the ruggedness built into the sat phone and that would be one of my concerns.

This is one I'll watch for a couple years and see how it performs.

pacific-23

Lil-Rokslider
I like the idea!

I have an Iridium Sat phone as well. I like the ruggedness built into the sat phone and that would be one of my concerns.

This is one I'll watch for a couple years and see how it performs.

This is a large concern for me as well. Smartphones aren't designed for the backcountry. True, the life proof cases work well, but for me I want something purpose designed that doesn't eat batteries.

OP
Becca

Becca

Super Moderator
Staff member
I suspect if I were to actually use it, that 95% of the time we would use it as we do our current sat phone. Phone calls or text messages home every 2-3 days to tell someone we are ok, and also to remain in contact with our flight service on fly out trips. Last year we were selling a house during Aug and Sept, so we made additional calls to Luke's folks as they were handling sale details on our behalf. I could only see using the data service on very rare occasions. Biggest draw for me would be some potential weight savings, and utilizing something we already own/carry. I have carried my iPhone (with life proof case) in a small sealine dry bag for the last two seasons, even on float trips and not had any issues. I could foresee adding the iridium go to the dry bag and being able to ditch the sat phone and small pelican case as being the big draw for us.

Being able to call for help in an emergency is the primary reason we currently carry a sat phone, and I would want assurances that this set up worked as well or better for voice calls. Sometimes when products try to do more than one thing, they don't end up doing anything well. Time will tell, and if will be curious to see what the reviews are once this is released. The price point for the service plan will also be a factor...I doubt we would honestly use the data plan that much, so I am not willing to pay more for service I don't plan to use.

colonel00

WKR
Very cool idea. Still not something I can justify as a "weekend warrior" that maybe only does a couple trips a year that are in areas with no cell coverage but I can see this being very useful for those that are out there all the time. Currently I am leaning towards the DeLorme INReach SE since it has a moderate initial cost and they have a seasonal subscription plan that allows me to only have service when I need it. However, hopefully this new release opens up a new market and the prices eventually come down a bit.

Craig4791

WKR
Yeah I am very curious as to the performance of it. When I bought my 9575 extreme I got the wifi box with it and although I've only tried using it twice it has yet to work like they advertise. I could barley send an email with it and it took 5 min to do that.

The Delorme Inreach that I use now runs off of the Iridium system. The plan I'm on allows me something like a 100 texts a month and the months I'm not using it I can put it to sleep for 3 bucks a month. If this new system has similar plans I would definitely be interested. Hunting solo it's nice to be able to get in touch with my wife at night, especially late season when darkness comes early and more time is spent in shelter.

colonel00

WKR
The Delorme Inreach that I use now runs off of the Iridium system. The plan I'm on allows me something like a 100 texts a month and the months I'm not using it I can put it to sleep for 3 bucks a month. If this new system has similar plans I would definitely be interested. Hunting solo it's nice to be able to get in touch with my wife at night, especially late season when darkness comes early and more time is spent in shelter.

Which plan are you on? Looking at the plans, there is the Recreation that has 40 messages a month or the Expedition that has 120 messages per month. I had planned to do a seasonal sub to the Recreation but I wasn't aware that you can "put it to sleep".

bobhunts

WKR
Thanks for the info and link Becca. I too will be curious to see how it really performs vs a regular Sat phone. It sure would be smaller and lighter. Bob.